Videogame Questions you're too embarrassed to ask / Videogame Answers you're too embarrassed to give

Why is a belt scroller called that?

Why is tate mode called that?

3 Likes

A belt scroller is in reference to an old technique for creating moving backgrounds, usually on a stage play. A large ā€˜beltā€™ with a backdrop painted onto it would be set up on a large scrolling mechanism. The illusion is quite rudimentary because scrolls can only be so large so the background loops noticeably over time. I guess it gets applied to early beat em ups where the background assets are so limited that they loop in a similar fashion.

ā€˜Tateā€™ I think is Japanese for vertical/upright, referring to the aspect ratio where the vertical height is larger than the horizontal width of the screen.

10 Likes

I thought the belt in belt scroller was just a simple reference to ordinary conveyor belts, and how the movement style allows for the character to walk on the belt in two axes, but also tends to limit the stage design to the axis of the belt.

(I canā€™t say Iā€™m an authority on this subject, though.)

8 Likes

I think I might be thinking of puppet shows where a smaller scale mechanism is more feasible

9 Likes

this is all iā€™ve ever known it to mean, as a distinction from ā€œside-scrollerā€ which is a horizontally scrolling game in which you can only move on one axis

4 Likes

Tate is actually an abbreviation of ā€œTall Texanā€, because initially the mode was meant to accommodate people whose eye level was above the monitor, usually Texans because of their propensity for sitting on phone books to feel taller.

Beltscrolling was a 1920s pastime where kids would take Winter sleds, wrap old belts around the blades, lubricate them with butter and slide around the streets. The people who partook in this activity and the contraption itself were both referred to as ā€œBeltscrollersā€.

16 Likes

TIL iā€™ve internalised a folk etymology for what scrolling in games is

1 Like

video game questions youā€™ve been embarrassed by answering

7 Likes

(just kidding, I like your answer a lot better tbh)

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to be honest I one hundred percent had arrived at the same conclusion as captainlove, and I refuse to alter my beliefs

2 Likes

wikipedia makes its case, but without citing a source. weaksauce

1 Like

The problem for me is both a belt and a scroll can be arranged different ways. In fact a belt for clothes is usually arranged vertically (around the waist) and a traditional scroll would likely be laid flat on a table for reading. Conveyor belts are usually horizontal but similar mechanisms like fan belts or turntable belts can be different.

3 Likes

sounds like you need to make New Types of Belt Scrollers

3 Likes

traditional scrolls are horizontal tho, perpendicular to the eyes

the town crier/messenger unrolling a parchment vertically to announce a proclamation? thatā€™s just a roll

1 Like

serpentine belt scroller

6 Likes

i always thought tate was like a shortened version of rotate bc u rotate the monitor but that is just an idea not something with any sourced cited u know

10 Likes

I wonder whether thereā€™s ever been a 2D game that uses one of those puppet show scrolling background belt devices as a diegetic background element. Did, like, Dynamite Headdy ever do that?

2 Likes

feels like kirby would do that but i canā€™t think of any examples. same for paper mario, although i havenā€™t played all of those.

3 Likes

Yeah, I assumed belt-scroller came from conveyer belts. My mental image was always the one at the grocery store that slides your groceries down or the conveyer sidewalks from the Jetsons.

1 Like

i feel bad about ruining it but the Japanese for ā€˜verticalā€™ or ā€˜standingā€™ is ā€˜tateā€™

5 Likes