videogame music with unusual time signatures

This is in 7/8 for at least part of it? It switches a few times, it’s confusing.

1 Like

It’s basically 7, but in one bar it drops a beat (for a bar of 6), and in another bar it adds a half-beat, which is definitely the confusing part

3 Likes

pretty straightforward (3s and 4s) until the climactic passage at 2:04, which has some strange emphases. seems to repeat after 20 beats, in chunks of 12 and 8, but the brass and timpani stresses make me unsure how to break it down past that. could be (6+6)+(4+4) or maybe even (3+5+4)+(3+5). it also goes into 5/4 briefly at 2:53.

seems to fit a 7/4 meter up until 1:06, then again from 1:30 to 2:03 save for one bar ending early. the bassline near the start is a little odd though, with the first 14 beats feeling more like 9+5 than 7+7

(great piece by the way, one of my favourites)

and uh, i’ve got no idea what the hell this is

1 Like

10/4?

(Elder scrolls arena character creation)

Also the snowy and overcast music are in 7/4

1 Like

This is a classic pattern in 5

ONE and two AND three and FOUR and FIVE and

You could also count it in 10 of course, but it’s less confusing this way imo

1 Like

yeah, it’s a very common rhythm to hear in film ostinatos when something exciting or urgent is happening, alongside the 4/4 variant (D··D··D··D··D·D·)

cf. the mission impossible theme

2 Likes

5/4 song.

1 Like

5/4

courtesy @thecatamites

2 Likes

6/4 and 7/8

2 Likes

there are more in the MW4 soundtrack, too. Kool Dude has some funky shit going on but I haven’t counted it out

Youtube comments claiming this is in 13/16 OR 7/8 with a 4/4 section. I don’t know what the real truth is.

4 Likes

it’s actually 13/16 (or 13/8 depending on how you divide it) with a 4/4 section

the main riff is 3+3+3+2+2 which is a really pleasant structure

i like how it has a 6.5/4 feel with the sustained chords over the riff

4 Likes

this is definitely what i was counting when i tried to do it myself

3 Likes

Tim Follin Agent X II C64 is in 7/8 (thanks @wourme)

Also I’m pretty sure the ghouls n ghosts soundtrack he did briefly quotes this

2 Likes

Starts in 7/8 and transitions to 4/4 later

7/8

1 Like