VG Musique Concrète - Diegetic Ditties

I don’t know if the title is totally accurate but I’m thinking about VGM that does what this song does with froggies (and I wanna make a song called ‘Nostrildamus’ using sniffs, snorts and sneezes in a similar way). My ears are hungry for more examples.

4 Likes

kind of an obvious one, but

5 Likes

this sort of?

I can’t think of any off the top of my head that uses the natural sounds of the environment in quite the same way as bubblegloop swamp though

3 Likes

There are probably some David Wise Donkey Kong Country songs that do this, but I’d have to revisit the soundtracks.

5 Likes

these are the ones that come to mind first, though they maybe aren’t quite as on-the-nose as the kirkhope tune from BK

4 Likes

Probably not what you’re looking for but this sprang to mind immediately

3 Likes

Konami/canine synergy post?

7 Likes

Off the top of the dome, this

1 Like

Does distant radio w static and short wave radio noise count?

7 Likes

so is the main thing here that the songs draw heavily on the context of their use, as opposed to just using goofy samples?

I was reminded of “Everybody is Listening” from Galaxy Fight, the composition of which only makes sense when you see the relevant character’s stage:

Suiting an aspiring pop star from the lush, forested planet of Lutecia, Roomi’s theme incorporates both various animals shrieks and the fighter’s own singing.

ASIDE: why I should utilize dictionaries

This is contextually more evocative than, say, Mustafar’s theme - which has numerous metal/robotic sounds in a sort of industrial metal noise, suitable for a cybernetic fighter outside what appears to be a factory, but without a clear link drawn between them. The song would make just as much sense for, say, an alien aboard a space station.

Oh, I guess that’s exactly what “diegetic” means. Okay, maybe should have looked that up first.

Another notable song from the game is Bloody Street, an absolutely confounding, extremely Neo Geo tune that is used on a stage that only appears in a versus (2P) match:

As you can see in this clip, the crowded city street of Verazques is lined by numerous bustling locales and rowdy onlookers, explaining the chaotic sounds heard during the battle.

1 Like

Just remembered this one. Never afraid to be goofy as shit, that Kirkhope.

I’ve enjoyed what’s been posted! Examples don’t have to be as on the nose as the OP song and borderline cases are intriguing cuz there’s plenty of grey area. For the song I’m going to take a stab at myself (and I’ve never done anything like this so it’ll be…interesting) I’m thinking of using the sneezes etc. in a similar way the cash registers are used in Pink Floyd’s ‘Money’ but integrated throughout more of the composition. So not quite as heavy handed as the Banjo examples. I’m not terribly interested in straight up sampling melodies/beats from other songs, but when the “SFX” are chopped up or “mellotron-ified” into an instrument in their own right, that’s what I’m really curious to hear.

1 Like

Remembered another Rareware one and now I’ve ruined the thread.

(different style of music, but this might actually be the closest example of what I’m attempting to go for)

2 Likes

The use of this during the traffic jam section is my favorite part of Earthbound. Diegetic ambience as music.

As for the original post, is it the repitched samples that are doing it for you? Get yourself a SK-1

3 Likes

Honestly, I only have the 'Money’esque rhythmic intro in my mind’s ear right now. Really interested to sample sneezes and have a sustained one that like melodically pitch shifts (on the “choo” of “ah-choo”) when the beat drops or something. Just gonna play around and hope something cool develops.

1 Like

How has this entire soundtrack not been linked yet? While drakengard mainly samples from orchestral recordings the form is very much musique concrete. You can practically see the cuts give birth to new music.

3 Likes

Ages ago I saw a Quake 1 tutorial about dynamic music. And I always wanted to go nuts with that idea and tie ambient loops to as many things as possible—different monsters at different ranges, ammo and health pick ups nearby, doors, traps. It’d be great to just hear this stuff build and subside as you go.

I think I’m going to do this.

5 Likes

I told Andrew he should replace all the sounds in “Bloody Tears” with pitch tuned farts and release it as “Bloody Farts” to get internet famous but he has not.

7 Likes

It doesn’t 100% attach to all objects like this but this is essentially how Arx Fatalis’ music system works

1 Like

I remember someone mentioning a game that did this a while back but I couldn’t remember what it was! Thanks!

There’s a bit in Undertale where a song gets repeated from one section to another, but the repeat is muffled and distant-sounding. Again, not sure if it fits the scope of the thread but that was one of my favorite things in the game.

1 Like