Untitled Goose Thread

I don’t think there’s such a thing as a game award that I regard with even a tiny bit of validity

I mean, awards are problematic to begin with

Game awards especially so, imo

trying to be eclectic with the same five games in every category

1 Like

FluidMammothBeaver-size_restricted

getting volunteer judges to go beyond the media they already consumed because it was already popular is a boulder, uphill

4 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

I forgot that this game existed for a while, and now it’s on PS4. From the discussion in this thread, it sounds like it’s worth playing.

But I would like to know whether @HOBO ultimately came to overlook and/or embrace the game’s meanness or quit for good and played Chibi Robo instead.

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to revisit this game after getting really into Hitman earlier in the year but whenever I consider it I think “But why do that when I could play Hitman.”

Everyone in that game deserves their punishment…!! It’s great.

Though I do want to see if my Hitman experience makes this more pleasant or if I’ll just be more frustrated by how streamlined it is in comparison

7 Likes

I’ve actually tried to use my experience with the goose game to get into Hitman 2, but couldn’t because it has Cinematic Platformer / FIFA levels of ignoring how well the character feels to play in favor of making it look good

Maybe you can like UIG if you focus on its biggest advantage over Hitman - the goosefeel

5 Likes

i continue to feel like this thread treating goose game as “what if hitman but agent 47 is a goose” is overemphasizing the “what if hitman” and underemphasizing “agent 47 is a goose”

9 Likes

i like goose game because you’re specifically playing the most silly yet menacing animal, the goose. And your movement feels unwieldly because you are a giant waddling fowl. Hitman is cool in part because 47 is so hilariously competent, and it’s ok if you make him a skilled bartender or hairdresser because he will meld right into the role. You, the player, can be anyone, moving from role to role in order to get closer to your target. The goose can’t fucking do that lol

you know what i would like. is a game where you play like, a dog. Like a golden retriever, some really famously beloved dog. but your goal is still to steal things and fuck with people and do person crimes, just Youre a Dog and instead of overcompensating for your weird wobbly goose movement, you’re playing an overexcited goofball who has to pretend to be a good boy while being a very bad boy. we can even call it something like The Good Boy

basically i want animals doing crimes sims to become a thing

12 Likes

EWLrCqHVAAAzaCn

1 Like

haven’t played any of the new hitmen but whenever i see them mentioned in reference to this game it makes me imagine describing laurel and hardy to someone as “like john wick if he was two fuckups who had to get a piano upstairs”

7 Likes

i miss jackie chan/sammo hung movies

6 Likes

like it’s not even that it’s a bad analogy for laurel and hardy, something just gently snapped for me when i had to watch a whole generation of vg critics try to describe a comedy game seemingly without knowing that “slapstick comedy” already existed as a format and to eventually settle on “cross between an immersive sim and an inscrutable moral parable about tormenting children”

9 Likes

I finally decided to try this because two geese and we found the camera to be a little restrictive. I also managed to clip through a gate somehow and couldn’t make progress after, so we quit. I’ll come back to it eventually even though I’m meh on the game part.

Bird games I think I want:

• Albatross flight sim
  • Barnacle gosling falling sim
  • Cormorants fishing sim
  • Penguin Mario 64 slide but you’re the penguin
  • Team-based rhythm game meets dating sim featuring tropical birds of the rainforest
4 Likes

Not in VR though.

1 Like

The established goals and the way the player interacts with the environment and the stable of NPCs provided, both in deed and intent, are extremely similar to the same in Hitman, just minus the death and seriousness. So it’s more like describing Austin Powers as “like James Bond if he was goofy, incompetent, and terminally horny”.

1 Like

Yeah it’s not so much that UGG and Hitman aren’t in the same genre as it is that people are loath to describe Hitman as slapstick comedy, which of course it is

1 Like

16 Likes

Peace was never an option

3 Likes