Unaltered adult Rene

The craziest thing about this, specifically re: connections between gaster and deltarune, is that fox has apparently been hiding specific secret messages about that very connection on deltarune.com since like 2015.

And according to some interview the basic concepts for deltarune actually predate undertale, so it’s not far fetched to imagine that he had already been planning these connections from the get go.

the text in that one translates to:

THIS NEXT
EXPERIMENT
LOOKS
VERY
VERY
INTERESTING

then there’s one a month later that translates to:

THREE HEROES
APPEARED

TO BANISH THE
ANGEL S HEAVEN

been listening to this a lot lately

2 Likes

1 Like

gasp

So I know I’m just a teensy bit late to the party here, but, I continued playing Undertale after dropping it for like… a year? Due to multiplayer games like For the King coming out and taking up all my gaming time. Now that I’m at a complete lack of anything multiplayer to play, I’m back to Undertale.

I defeated Flowery last night on a full pacifist run, and am doing the haunted laboratory segment right now.

It’s been said a million times by a million people, but, this game is absolutely wonderful. The amount of significant, enjoyable little things you just organically happen upon is mind-boggling. I was wondering through the whole section where Undyne tried to kill you for a while, calling her and Papyrus every screen for that delightful Goombella text, and I find THIS thing:

Goner Kid”, who looks like your little over-eager yellow Undyne dino-superfan, but, isn’t. Had some pretty creepy dialogue:

Have you ever thought about a world where everything is exactly the same…
Except you don’t exist?
Everything functions perfectly without you…
Ha, ha… The thought terrifies me.

I ended up bringing him an umbrella, which cheered him up a bit, then later found a secret code under statue that gave me the “shed husk of a dog” that is now in my inventory unfortunately.

Long story short real good game

9 Likes

I know annoying nerds have over analyzed every last bit of undertale lore but I still think the wd gaster stuff is so cool

3 Likes

Finished it last night, managed to do a true pacifist run, so I think I’ve seen everything. Friend of mine then sent me the Sans battle, so I think I’ve gotten it all.

Excited to get into Delta Rune now.

2 Likes

time for me to spoil why you saw that goner kid because it’s fun and interesting

when you start the game, there’s a value set randomly between 1 and 100 called “Fun” and it never changes (until you restart the save file). You’ll only see goner kid if it’s over 90. There are a bunch of other events that only trigger when the value is between certain ranges, and even worse, they sometimes don’t even happen. It’s pretty cool honestly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55jt23G3xqc

I got clam girl

5 Likes

Holy shit. That rules.

2 Likes

clam girl haunts me

I really want to naturally encounter the mystery man but idk if I ever am gonna replay the game that many times

I’ve made my peace with only playing through once. I sort of don’t want to “metagame” the narrative if that makes sense

2 Likes

I mean the game literally begged me not to do a second run so I’m pretty happy with leaving it as-is.

Started Delta Rune. I of course like it a lot, particularly the battle system. Characters are pretty decent so far. Dunno if I love the villain, but, the main three are real fun.

Just finished choosing the form of my destructor: A duck with a the body of a gun and the wheels of a tank. Good game.

4 Likes

I think playing it normally pretending the internet hasn’t already told you what do do, and then taking the game’s hints and playing a pacifist run is a pretty good experience

5 Likes

idk i played so similarly to pacifist my first time through that the “true” run mostly felt like doubling up on my steps. thankfully there are a lot of gags that can go one of several ways so the writing at least stays somewhat fresh.

2 Likes

I think I killed only two monsters so yeah, I sorta don’t feel like I want to do another run

1 Like

It is a little fun to see the alternate versions of events where all the characters feel like they faintly know you, but don’t know why. Full pacifist also has a whole extra dungeon and a bunch of other story content. i wouldn’t do it immediately after beating the game the first time but if you ever feel like replaying on full pacifist i’d say it’s worth it.

Also the full pacifist final boss fight and ending is the most Persona ass power of love and friendship saves the day shit and idk i can still find that kinda thing charming sometimes, when it’s done well

i will never do the genocide run but i think it’s cool that it exists

8 Likes

i found the final battle worth it (it’s the most mechanically inventive content in the game) but the genocide run is mostly a waste of time. would suggest if you’re planning to get into the game that deep you may as well do so by learning how to edit your save data, that way you can experiment with the gaster stuff as well.

i do love sans’s sick burn toward you near the start, though

I think not grinding your way through a genocide run extremely defeats the purpose and message - the form is the content - but I stopped at Undyne because she was too hard lol

2 Likes

hmm the overall message felt mixed to me. on one hand the in-world narrative is your avatar becoming an overpowered monster who can crush anything effortlessly, but then it’s also a metanarrative about compulsion where your only ‘superpower’ is the ability to retry indefinitely, in spite of odds stacked against you. it had some great, chilling moments pertaining to both readings, but sticking to one or the other would have had more impact, imo.

i guess that’s my criticism of the storytelling as a whole: it’s very good at orchestrating ‘moments’ that are highly affecting on their own, but which don’t necessarily all add up to a greater takeaway (sometimes they even made me forget what had been going on entirely). i don’t wanna just channel felix cynicism here though; the writing is still very fun and soulful and i’m glad i spent my time with it.

2 Likes