two and a half hours about Bo Burnham, Jeff Bezos, and the internet

3 Likes

gonna have to ask for a slightly harder sell on this one babe

9 Likes

If I wanted to be really reductive about it: video essayist concludes video essays are necessary. It’s a winding road to get there, and there are points of interest along the way, but ultimately the performer uses the Bezos song from Bo Burnham’s Inside as excuse to examine capitalism, transhumanism, the Internet culture war, the audience/performer divide, and related subjects to draw conclusions that seemed so obviously correct in retrospect that it’s unclear how much I’m really learning from this. If I seem like I’m being dismissive about this video that I was otherwise endorsing, it’s because I liked it without fully understanding why, and I was hoping that the addition of someone else’s perspective would permit me to sort of triangulate my own position with regards to this work.

4 Likes

the fact that jsn posted this as a thread is a pretty hard sell, i’d argue

i’ve been watching it, it’s good, though the relative treatment of bezos and musk in the video is… hm. musk offers no insight nor wisdom on any broached topics thus far, yet is trotted out a few times anyway

2 Likes

i will never log off but i will also not be an internet person to the best of my ability
i have won

3 Likes

hey @jsnlv this was good thanks for sharing

Glad you liked it!

Thinking about it more, I feel like there are some ideas here about social media that I had started to believe but hadn’t yet found great ways to express. I barely use Facebook, and my Twitter account is locked and renamed “I wasn’t supposed to tweet” as a reminder to myself that reading is fine, but otherwise I should minimize my interactions on that platform. I am not immune to algorithmic conditioning. Despite this intuitive recoil away from the self as influencer, I’m still one of these idiots who use their real name for most of their online interactions. Feels like I’m endorsing advice that I haven’t fully internalized and applied to my own life yet.

2 Likes

the line reads/editing in the opening 90 seconds of this video sound like a teejayx6 track

1 Like

The incentive structure of the internet makes everyone say obvious things in the most complicated way possible. We need to generate content, but genuine insight is hard to come by so, if you wish to participate, you must generate pseudo-insight.

2 Likes

The op-edization of everyone

2 Likes

I know everyone does this but to me the worst offenders are the “west coast rationalists” folks like Less Wrong. Every article I ever read by them just seems like the most obvious shit stated in a slightly less than obvious way.

2 Likes

i thought there was a thread all about Bob Urnham but now I can’t find it

anyway this is good

really draws that “shitposting about your ongoing panic attack and descent into world-rending depression” feeling out of his songwriting style

1 Like