Twenty Nineteen

No mention of Hypnospace Outlaw? Haven’t played it or didn’t catch your fancy? It will definitely be in my top ten. Please refer to my megapost in the 1999 thread where I praise it to the skies.

Another game on my backlog that I think might is Heaven’s Vault. It sounds extremely subtle and unusual from what I’ve heard.

3 Likes

I already run a message board

11 Likes

will I end up playing a video game released in 2019 in 2019? stay tuned!

(ok, sigil kinda counts)

1. Sekiro
  2. Baba is You
  3. The Outer Wilds
  4. Hypnospace Outlaw

To-play: Heaven’s Vault

4 Likes

Here’s my top 10 so far!!

Resident Evil 2
Outer Wilds
Eastshade
Crackdown 3
Supraland
Ace Combat 7
Whispers of a Machine
Heaven’s Vault
Void Bastards
Draugen

Kinda expecting this list to be completely different by the end of the year, there’s lotsa games coming out soon that I’m hyped for.

1 Like

RE2
Sekiro
Left Alive
DMC 5
Moron Kombat 11
Outer Wilds

Slay the Spire (it just came out on Switch so I’m counting it)
Sekiro
Hypnospace Outlaw
Outer Wilds
Devotion
RE2
Baba

Weird to have no Nintendo games on this list, but I know that will change once Mario Maker 2 comes out.

etrian odyssey nexus
destiny forsaken
cats who stare at ghosts
kids
jodediahs twitter poll mystery game
outer wilds
10 beautiful postcards
type dreams
pokemon go
void bastards

1 Like

A broken person is right twice a day.

I swear I also listed Barkley 2, but that might have been last year’s list.

1 Like

ok i started playing pokémon go again, how do i be pokefriends with you

8328 0977 3547 is my trainer code!

1 Like

have only really played sekiro and re2 but they were both excellent

still looking forward to mcc on pc, scarlet grace and blazing chrome

All these people playing Outer Wilds and not posting in the Outer Wilds thread…

3 Likes

Talking about it basically spoils what’s good about it.

3 Likes

I’m holding off until I’m done (save for sharing impressions of the first half hour, which is really warm and cozy) and I’m trying not to waste it while things are still a little out of focus

Heavy reminders that the only 2019 titles I’ve played were tons of RE2make DMC5 and Sekiro. Gotta do something about that and a good lot to choose from.

Been mostly 90s digs and revisits otherwise, even now I’m like “Outer Wilds…ORRRR ye old loved clunk in the trunk Xenogears, Persona 2: Innocent Sin making eyes at me again”

Dragon Quest thread has me nostalging out on III.

Only 2019 release I’ve played enough to have opinion about is Baba Is You, which is excellent.

The idea of playing stuff as it comes out is getting increasingly alien to me for some reason.

The point of it is to engage with the community around the game and develop one’s opinions and impressions together. It’s not quite so exciting to play a game like Sekiro when (as it already is) it’s a historical artifact with the spike of online discussion behind it, frozen in time.

3 Likes

the online discourse re: sekiro actually put me off playing it for a month or so

7 Likes

For clarification, I didn’t mean my alienation comment to be a critique of others. I meant it as a very personal thing I’ve been experiencing. That being said…

I often need to wait for the discourse to tell me if I’m gonna give a shit about a game at all. I can’t just drop $60 every month on my current level of income.

Like Sekiro bounced from ‘definitely yes’ to definitely ‘no’ to ‘maybe’ to ‘why not wait until it gets cheap since the moment has passed’. And I’m ok with that!

Beyond that, I find a lot of the time the idea of ‘modern good design’ versus ‘bad old design’ tend to be based entirely on trends, for better or worse. And I have found stuff to enjoy equally from every era of game. It certainly doesn’t hurt my tastes are unpredictable even to myself, and it’s easier to pour over gaming history than hope contemporary games do what I want them to do.

9 Likes