TV Party (Part 1)

Yeah it felt like they were given dot points for the last two books by GRRM, and then just adapted them as-is instead of properly fleshing them out.

Iā€™m watching Lucifer on Netflix because work is boring and Iā€™m always amazed at the ability of American networks to turn anything into a police procedural.

2 Likes

Read Mike Careyā€™s 75 issues instead, much better use of work time

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Lucifer-2000

Watch out for anime tiddy pop ups though

2 Likes

awwwwww yyyyyeaaaaaahhhhhhh

3 Likes

Mike Careyā€™s Lucifer is significantly better and more interesting than the Neil Gaiman comics it spun off from.

1 Like

I personally put them about equal in general, Lucifer compliments Sandman extremely well (same count of issues and some framing; bookends) and can stand alone as an incredible piece of work too. Iā€™ve read Big L twice since the mid-aughts but had already gone over Sandman like a dozen times by then. The formerā€™s a lot more existential multicultural pantheon driven while that same backbone of Morpheus and crew gets a lot moreā€¦airily written something like ā€œlit classā€ but then, the stories also have a lot more human elements.

I put Promethea in the same echelon of metaphysical fiction comics and mightā€™ve gotten there with Careyā€™s Unwritten though I heard it fell off after Book 6-7. Saga has been praised so many times I got sick of hearing about and never really gave it a read (doesnā€™t seem comparable with these either).

1 Like

Yeah what I read of Saga wasā€¦I wouldnā€™t even remotely put it on the same level of Sandman and Promethea.

It just feels like such aā€¦void.

Iā€™d put it on the same level as Sandman but I am noted Sandman hater Tulpa

Game of Thrones spoilers

So, the Finale was fine I guess. The main points were fine. But, it would have been nice to have had more time to get to these points and to then handle them with more care.

overall, it felt very mellow, to be the resolving episode for major events, as well as the final episode. Lots of good, long running shows have had poor and/or mellow endings. So I guess it met par.

I donā€™t wanna dig too deep on complaints, unless others get into it. But, there were just too many character inconsistencies and little flubs with production, to even really settle into what we did get. Some pretty big moments were sort of robbed of tension, because I was pulled out by inconsistencies, as I was viewing. This was all obvious stuff which gave me pause, on my first watch. Iā€™m not even digging deep, here. And usually donā€™t notice stuff as deeply as some other people.

*Jon seeā€™s Grey Worm cutting prisonerā€™s throats and then moves on, to walk up the initial steps of the castle, to meet Dany. And Grey Worm is at the top of the steps. Huh?

*Tyrion goes into the catacombs and finds Cersei and Jamie-----under one layer of bricks. and its like the only spot in the room, with an appreciable pile of bricks. After we previousl saw what seemed to be that whole area collapse on them.

*this one is pretty subjective but: My read on Danaerys asking Jon to love her one more time, before attacking the Red Keep; was sort of her last bid for sanity.(she needs to feel loved, one way or another). So, I thought it was pretty dumb that she just repeated that, right after her massacre. At that point she should have probably refused to see Jon.

*They did that stupid writing thing where they remind us of a lesson (in this case, it actually was a call back to something someone said earlier in the show. So, half kudos for that) and then a couple of scenes later, that lesson is actually applied.

*Recently, Bran was like ā€œI canā€™t be the lord of anything, Iā€™m the Three Eyed Ravenā€.

*and then Bran is like ā€œwhy do you think I came all this way?ā€ (in response to the question of whether or not he would be willing to put effort into ruling Westeros).

• Those and other things with Bran all considered: it almost feels like a setup for him to be the next villian or something. At the least, it almost seems like they sort of retconned and revised, to imply the he was gunning for the throne all along. But no characters acknowledged it.

*the brief feeling of everything makes it feel like thereā€™s gonna be another season. Like, either there should have been after Dany torched the Red Keep (that should have been a finale. Or like a mid-season finale with a one month break). Or now, that Bran is on the throne, end season. And follow with another. Its a weird and confusing tone.

*Its a good thing Yara was there?

*Jon is forced back to the Nightā€™s Watch, as punishment to satisfy Grey Worm. Because he didnā€™t like that Jon killed Dany. And then, Grey Worm leaves. Jon could have stayed or gone anywhere he wanted. I mean, he left anyway. But, he could have gone to Winterfell or something.

*it was real strange to do the things they did in that episode-----and then to end it with-----business as usual with the council. We went through all of that and said all of those things about change and breaking wheels-----to look very much like Season 1 and make me feel like nothing changed. Maybe that was the point? Game of Thrones, etc?

A certain somebody has to not wind up on the knife toilet because theyā€™re still feinting at subversiveness. So they get the tragic??? end of saving??? the realm only to not the get the capstone moment most fantasies??? would give them* even though that moment is the actual one the narrative sorta earned and points toward.

Gotta pull them rugs.

Gotta make the drunken sex pest murderdude head accountant because idk you gotta get him in the last episode somehow? Right?

*you think this way re:the breadth of the fantasy genre if you are a showrunner on Game of Thrones anyway I suspect

if it were less creepy shield hero could almost be yoko taros sword art online

oh god

1 Like

Holy cow the voice cast includes:

Taron Egerton, Anya Taylor-Joy, Nathalie Emmanuel, Harvey Fierstein, Mark Hamill, Ralph Ineson, Jason Isaacs, Keegan-Michael Key, Ɠlafur Darri Ɠlafsson, Simon Pegg, Andy Samberg, Caitriona Balfe, Helena Bonham Carter, Harris Dickinson, Natalie Dormer, Eddie Izzard, Theo James, Toby Jones, Shazad Latif, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Mark Strong, Alicia Vikander, and Donna Kimball.

chaos is a ladder (he said it himself)

the fall cannot break he who is already Broken

the lonely island made an entire concept rap album/tv special about jose canseco and mark mcgwire and i wish there were more things this specifically weird

2 Likes

maybe I should of watched this show. Iā€™ve been watching this clip repeatedly since it popped up on twitter recently. I take back what I said in the mental illness thread about being incapable of falling in love anymore

2 Likes

I recently read the first two collected volumes of Saga. While the art and some aspects of the setting kept me from abandoning it early, I found the writing painful and itā€™s not something Iā€™d recommend.

Surely my memory of Sandman from high school canā€™t be so faulty that I donā€™t realize itā€™s no better? I think Iā€™m going to have to re-read Season of Mists to be sure.

(I would say something about television but I havenā€™t seen anything worth mentioning in quite a while other than Joe Pera Talks with You.)

Thereā€™s a place for Saga but itā€™s very in your face about the themes it is pursuing, sometimes to the detriment of the story. Iā€™m mostly continuing the series on inertia at this point and Iā€™d be hard pressed to recommend it to anyone in SB, mainly because this community is already very aware of those themes to begin with.