TV Party (Part 1)

I like Saga well enough as a breezy pulp adventure story with really fun art. Its plot is kind of gripping if you roll with it.

I’m really on the edge of dropping Saga. The art and world and characterization is wonderful, it’s just, it doesn’t feel like it’s going anywhere or building to anything. I posted this a while back and it’s still true for me:

Man… Saga is still good, still consistently surprising and gorgeous and creative, it’s just… it’s got that comic book problem where the more you see of any character, the more certain it is something horrible will happen to them. Which it does, usually in as tragic a way as possible, until they’re fully dead.

Makes me want this series to end so we don’t keep churning through beloved characters.

2 Likes

Brian K Vaughan writes likes he’s embarrassed to be working in comics and everything he makes is meant to be a pitch for a prestige tv drama.

3 Likes

This is especially impressive since Y the Last Man predates prestige TV as we know it, but it bears every single hallmark of the genre.

to a degree.

like y the last man was contemporary with the wire from a timeline perspective. and most people call “the sopranos” the birth of what people call modern prestige and that was a little earlier

i could see vaughan himself definitely being an inspiration to modern prestige shows especially fancy superhero and scifi stuff

definitely would argue that his writing on Lost is probably better than a lot of his comics writing

1 Like

i wonder how much of an overall retread this is going to be but i’m still very excited literally just from a puppeteering and craft standpoint

3 Likes

i’m in
oh it is like a origin story prequel for the bird monsters? come on.

1 Like

can’t wait for the mareo show where we see bowser’s parents killed and the questionable lengths he goes to preserve order in his crumbling kingdom

1 Like

I am so hype for this. Some sort of sequel/prequel has been in development for years. Finally, it is here. And it seems to be as respectful as possible to the original vision.

I highly suggest everyone check out The Dark Crystal in 4K. Its one of the best 4K discs I’ve seen.

Starting to get excited for too old to die young even though it stars miles teller, who to me seems like someone who is probably a Dirty Boy or at least an asshole in real life. Does anyone know if it’s all going to be released at once or weekly? It turns out the episodes are all like an hour and a half

2 Likes

i spent most of yesterday watching the umbrella academy
it has just enough going on to be entertaining but the urge
to read the comic becomes greater the more i continue

American Ninja Warrior is back this week. I love that show so much.

i started watching Jack Ryan because i have prime and it’s free and i was bored and… idk. i guess i have a soft spot for Clancy’s military fetishism/globe-trotting spy shit from time to time. i was particularly interested in seeing how they’d manage tone, considering the way things are going on this hellplanet

and hoo boy, it’s got some extreme tonal whiplash! it tries to humanize its antagonists just enough to feel palatable to a modern audience (the series opens with the Big Bad and his brother as kids, getting carpet-bombed in early-80s Lebanon by the IDF), but can’t resist painting the world in broad Fox Newsian strokes at every turn anyway (aforementioned Big Bad is “the next bin Laden”? who wants to establish a global Islamic caliphate - “the greatest Islamic empire ever”?? they “hate the west”??? they are “the world’s problem”???)

:waynestare:

it’s still relatively enjoyable as popcorn action shit, but take my advice and go in expecting call of duty cutscenes to lessen the disappointment if you want to indulge. the acting is mixed (wendell pierce is typically good, jim halpert… ehh). several turns of events have made me laugh out loud due to their utterly inane level of contrivance and disingenuousness. there’s a completely pointless sideplot about - i shit you not - a drone operator wracked with guilt who travels to the middle east to… give the dad whose son he killed the $30 grand he won in an extremely lucky streak of roulette with one-dollar bills his “wingman” gives him when he kills people with his joystick of doom. it’s reaching hard for this level of nuance and thoughtfulness that it absolutely cannot achieve, and it’s laughable. not to mention this dude (“tombstone”) doesn’t even matter to the wider plot. i guess they tried.

i’ll probably watch the last two episodes tonight. it’s certainly fun enough if you don’t expect more than silly tom clancy jingoism

2 Likes

is what my tired mind was parsing, and instantly added ‘yeah, happens a lot’ to it.
Mental autocorrect is weird sometimes, but i love it if EDF, EDF, EDF gets inserted somewhere almost automatically.

anyway, show sounds like a wonderful trainwreck, makes me almost wanna watch it for the laughs!

1 Like

Shit has anyone just done the EDF song and replaced it with IDF over top of video of war crimes and if not why not

1 Like

can’t wait for meauxdal to get to the ryanverse episode of nora (?)

3 Likes

I watched Black Mirror Season 5 Episode 1 ‘Striking Vipers’

It starts with a deliciously slow burn. The first half is strong.
It’s about video-games and marriage, but it hints at a bunch of other themes and just drops them. It feels like the episode was written around a slow pace, and they drop all the other themes because they don’t fit the pace. There was a lot of interesting material they only hinted at. The show would have needed to change to a faster pace to explore other themes in the tight timing of a single hour. It would have made a great mini-series, but instead
it’s an okay episode.

Anthony Mackie gives a great performance.

from “Ultraman” directors Shinji Aramaki and Kenji Kamiyama. The two confirmed on Tuesday night that relative animation newcomer Ilya Kuvshinov will head character design on the show.

Kamiyama’s SAC chops and Aramaki you solid, but woah on that bolded surprise

Wow that is pretty wild but a savvy move

1 Like

I was watching letterkenny theotherdee

1 Like