TV Party (Part 1)

also “sopotka” is, I later learned from my wife, a polish deli meat, and whenever she goes to the polish deli I ask her to bring me back some stevedores

3 Likes

still sometimes daydream of the alt universe in which the wire stayed on the air and just did season-long investigations of increasingly obscure baltimore institutions and industries

the wire s14 takes place entirely in orioles locker rooms
etc

6 Likes

The issue is that before season two it hadn’t been signaled that the show was kinda an extended anthology series, with each season focusing on a different subset of Baltimore society. So people were like, what the fuck, where are all the characters we spent so many episodes trying to memorize and understand last time? Who are these new crackers?

It’s easier the second time through when you know what’s going on with the show.

“fuck you. and your window.” is one of my favorite lines from the whole series, for some reason

1 Like

everyone from season 1 is in every episode so i never really understood this

soap operas always introduce more characters

1 Like

season 2 is my favorite because I love the union boys and it’s so overwhelmingly fucking Polish that it’s immediately offputting to everyone else in the area

1 Like

also Boat McNulty is the biggest, most smug asshole in the world and I adore him

yo mcnutty come be the smartest guy in THIS PUSSY

the BET edit of season 2 where they cut out most of the white people scenes and awkwardly smush together multiple episodes into one is quite an incredible hackjob

4 Likes

god that’s right I forgot about that

they should’ve made up scenes where Avon was on snake way to cut in and pace it out

2 Likes

oh god I remember my friend’s grandma watching this shit and it fucked with me so bad afterwards, I felt like I was in some mandela effect dimension cuz I never saw that edit again and became convinced it was something I made up

avon is such a dweeb. hes so dweeby, i can only think of his character in southland tales getting totally owned and giggle about what a dork he is. hes just not cool i dunno what it is but i always want to bully him

3 Likes

still watching friday night lights (very slowly). i appreciate the stilted/unnatural/perfunctory quality of the “snappy” expository dialogue. it feels both endearingly “pre-whedonization” of the american mainstream tv and movie landscape and also like it’s consciously signaling that its interests lie elsewhere. it uses the handcam cinema verite style not for the impression of realism but to zoom in on the sensual intricacies of gaze and texture and emotional mood, like an expansive, teary-eyed, crescendocore robert bresson. a friend on twitter pointed out that the non-team characters have the same parasocial relationship to high school football as pokemon npcs have to pokemon battling.

7 Likes

i like that literally everyone in the upper echelons of the barksdale organization is basically a LARPer. string is mr. macroeconomics but is still a huge fucking dumbass too

2 Likes

every time i see like, two brands of the same thing in a store i hear stringer bell in my head going 'now thats what we call market saturation"

6 Likes

yeah the ways they try to signal stringer as “intellectual” get really heavy handed, but that’s true of a lot of the 3rd and 4th season

2 Likes

the worst fucking thing about this show is 99 percent of the title card quotes are terrible and meaningless without the five minutes of dialogue surrounding them for context

the good thing about this is you can play ‘hunt for the better title card quote’ in every episode. that is a fun game

2 Likes

the best epigraph in the first 2 seasons is absolutely beadie saying the trafficked girls need a union

2 Likes

yeah that was the ONE good example i was going to name hah

1 Like

Kima telling her wife “I wouldn’t fuck any of these guys with your pussy” should’ve been one

3 Likes