TRUE DICK 🔍

2 Likes

Couldn’t be worse than the last season!

1 Like

genuinely anticipate figuring out who pizzolatto is ripping off this time (also how much he takes from what’s left of the corpse of his novel)

I find it really unfair that they keep casting such interesting actors in this shit that I will almost certainly never watch

1 Like

I had some hope for this when Jeremy Saulnier was doing the whole thing but I guess he ended up doing 2 episodes of the 8.

I’d rather have him doing movies anyways tho

1 Like

oh wow i had no idea this was a thing

anyway i remember reading pizzolatto’s novel and laughing out loud because of how stupid and derivative it was. just baffling. my mans got struck by lightning with true detective season one and has been living the fullest grifter life ever since (the screenwriter’s dream, really)

3 Likes

yeah I’m missing my lost-via-borrowing bluray of the first season but don’t have the slightest interest in an S3

1 Like

what if a crime… was also a mystery… find out this season only on True Detective

9 Likes

He mined so many details from his novel for the show, too.

It’s like he went into an empty room with bare white walls at age 30 and laid out everything he had to work with on the floor: “These are the images I have accumulated. I will work with only these. If I need more I may mine from other writers, but I will never, ever leave this room and look at the world again.”

4 Likes

What I’m saying is he’s basically me and I am v. jealous of his success :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I love Detective Ray Velcro

“HOOKER PARTIES, MEN OF AFFLUENCE, SPILL”

2 Likes

CHESSANI

Holy shit

Stephen Dorff!

has anyone watched the first episode? i’m at me parents’ and they have hbo so i got around to it.

it’s pretty obvious that the series is dead and rotting stylistically. like, the first shot is a menacing landscape in slow-motion from a helicopter. within five minutes you have panoramic stares also in slow-motion. the image looks washed.

i don’t remember it happening in the previous seasons, but this episode has so many scenes with this weird, small depth-of-field that makes everything other than the characters blurry all the time. it goes from being okay i guess to straight up garbage at times.

the protagonist is so cool! he’s not hysterical but he’s also not too distant. everything he says across timeframes has some different kind of weight. this season is actually trying to pull the interrogation-flashback thing twice at the same time!

the protagonist informs (to himself) he has “memory problems”, which turns the whole “unreliable narrator” bullshit in a very insidious way so far; there are a couple scenes inbetween timeframes where you feel a jump but can’t quite discern what’s missing. that’s nice (maybe it’s in my head though?) at one point, a character describes him to a third party as “a man who hunts boars for fun . . . a tracker.”

i find it hillarious that true-crime media appears twice as being relevant to the story: first in a non-fiction book from the early nineties and second in a web-documentary in 2015.

there is an exchange between the protagonist duo that’s a watered down copy of the one @anonymous posted earlier, but other than that nothing too jarring. i still believe the whole thing will become an absolute mess by like, episode four though

1 Like

the documentary crew being reddit tv show fan theorists hung up on a pedophile conspiracy and true detective shared universe theory was good

2 Likes

I watched this (season 3) over the past week or so, and I liked it. I might not be a good judge of television shows, though, as I don’t watch a lot of them.

I didn’t mind that they were obviously trying to recapture what made the first season popular. And although I found the writing a little silly in places I thought it was generally pretty good. I’m not sure yet what to think of how sentimental and tidy the ending was, but I’m glad that there wasn’t quite as big and sinister (and typical) a conspiracy as had been hinted at.

Looks like there’s an alternate extended ending. I don’t know why it would need to be extended even more, as the main thing I’d remained curious about (how and when Amelia died) is shown in one of the deleted scenes.

Speaking of television shows, it looks like some new Joe Pera episodes are up now:

Donald Glover hosted a screening of the movie Parasite for some reason and someone put the poster online and now I can’t stop thinking of a season of True Detective set on a US military base in Korea starring him and Song Kang Ho and written/directed by Bong Joon Ho

Like I just think we as a society need to will it into existence

1 Like
2 Likes