Toptubuntu

*P.S. to any onlookers, this split thread is about how running Breath of The Wild on the Cemu emulator in windows, does not have good shadow rendering, with my older AMD HD7870 videocard (newer AMD cards seem to have fine shadow rendering quality). So i’m going to try running it on Linux, because AMD videocards have open source drivers in linux, which might have better rendering quality in Cemu. And also, potentially better framerates. Although mine are fine already.

Looks like I’m just gonna dive into Ubuntu and probably be in for a few days of pain, learning to set it up.

There is a gaming centric splice of Ubuntu, but its based on a year old version of Ubuntu and probably old versions of Wine and PlayonLinux.

I was gonna try GameDrift (hoping it would allow me to install Wine and PlayonLinux, event though it has its own proprietary, payed thing) but their download is SUPERRRR SLOW.

So I’m just grabbing Ubuntu via the official torrent file. and I found a page with at least ok notes on getting all the updates for best game/graphics performance. AAAAaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Okay this is definitely the first time I’ve ever read of someone switching to Linux for playing games D:

You might wanna take a look at Lutris in addition to / instead of PlayOnLinux. They both do a similar thing, that is manage Wine things, but Lutris acts as a nice launcher for all your games. So you get a decent frontend for all your ROMS, Steam games, Windows Steam games, etc. It’s still in early-ish development, but worth a look.

For Ubuntu you’re gunna need some extra PPAs to get up-to-date Wine and drivers and things. Hopefully the guide helps you with that.

Heheh. Well, the shadow rendering issues are pretty distracting. It seems like some (but not very many) are even completely missing. And the lighting might be missing a final quality pass. Not sure. But watching youtube videos of people with newer cards, even AMD cards, and the game looks better.

Is there a flavor of Ubuntu or a tool for Ubunut, which is easier to get drivers and whatnot?

This is the guide I found

Its old, doesn’t step by step everything, but made me aware of several things I had no idea about. So I at least know of them and can be on the right track.

I’m probably not going to be using Linux for much. Just for Cemu with BoTW and maaaaybe a couple of other games.

No particular tool or anything, you just need to research PPAs / repositories that cover the things you need. For-all-I-know graphic card drivers will actually be kept up-to-date by Ubuntu (that makes sense~), but you might want a more current Wine. I don’t use Ubuntu, so can’t recommend anything. I can split this into a new thread if you want.

That guide’s probably way too old to be useful. Put 2017 or 2018 in your searches, or ask in the Lutris Discord maybe (a lot of them use it for Wine stuff, and a bunch use Ubuntu). Also maybe there’s a reddit with a useful FAQ in the sidebar or something. Maybe browsing the Ask Ubuntu forum’s useful, but it never seemed like it~

1 Like

I can go into a lot more detail here but am trying to stop myself, so I’ll just say: don’t use some obscure derivative distro, and don’t do anything w/r/t installing drivers that’s not sudo add-apt-repository && sudo apt upgrade mesa.

1 Like

you probably don’t need to do anything because the Ubuntu LTS is more likely than not on a fairly recent kernel (my install is Mint and I just got the 4.14 kernel in an update) and Mesa and RadeonSI (this is probably the driver the kernel will run, I still think AMDGPU has experimental support for earlier GCN cards, which you could theoretically manually enable by compiling your own kernel but that’s probably a thing you shouldn’t do) will probably be automatically setup when you install

all you should have to do is install the latest Wine staging candidate and try giving Cemu a run (though you may have some run around with getting Cemuhook running as well). don’t mess with Lutris or PlayOn, they’re essentially glorified Wine launchers and repositories that select the best Wine version for the job and grabbing the latest staging version should have you set for pretty much anything Wine can run (I can almost get 100 fps in Overwatch on all low settings!)

You ideally should have to do nothing more than mounting the drive, launching Cemu and seeing your performance. Your shader caches, settings and saves will be used automatically.

2 Likes

yeah if glxinfo doesn’t report radeonsi you’ll probably have a bad time

but agreed on no wine frontends, just add an upstream source for wine-staging, possibly run winecfg once to make sure CSMT is on, and you should have wine associated with windows binaries by default.

1 Like

also before anyone tries to joke

WINE Is Not an Emulator

1 Like

I downloaded Ubuntu Desktop 16.04.3 which is the latest version of Ubuntu, in the form it has been for awhile. with the recent 17.x.x they split it to a new desktop environment.

So I figure 16.x.x. would be the best bet for compatibility and “Desktop” version would be the maybe the easiest to use.

It’s not a new DE, it’s just a different default for Ubuntu (Gnome instead of the discontinued Unity). You’re better off going with the newer one. It’ll get upgraded anyway–that’s the first thing you should do after installing if it’s not part of the process, so no need to download a new ISO.

2 Likes

Ah ha. Ok then, I’ll just go get the official torrent for 17.X.X.

P.S. the site didn’t notify me about this split topic!

I miiiiiiight start the installation process tonight.