Tom's Hardware of Finland

lmao I fucked up, I did two drive redundancy out of paranoia and missed that that means I can only actually expand the volume by replacing all four drives 🥲

avoid SMR drives unless you’re sure you won’t be bothered by their limitations

some old lists, best to always google the full product number before buying anything now:

for example from Toshiba’s P300 series, the 2TB models (HDWD220UZSVA, HDWD220EZSTA) are SMR (bad) but the 3TB ones (HDWD130EZSTA, HDWD130UZSVA) are CMR (good)

3 Likes

anyway my storage recommendations are the same as my laptop recommendations – invest enough in your networking (doesn’t have to be $$ but can be trial and error and configuration, I use a 6 year old router that goes for like $60 now, but a lot of competing 3 year old routers are no good) so that you don’t need to have a GPU or more storage than NVMe in every device.

1 Like

concerned my primary reasons for wanting a bigger place at 35 are so i can hoard a crt, a sick nas and a pfsense box

5 Likes

you can get… very creative with storage

I have ~6 generations of desktop computers (immaculately maintained, most of the parts rare and useful), 3 raspberry pis, a CRT, a HOTAS, a fanatec wheel and pedals and mounting stand, a vintage hifi, turntables, a projector, 2 VR HMDs, a NAS that has 24TB in it right now, a printer/scanner, a wii balance board and ring fit, four gamecube controllers, hardware for ripping DV tape, a digital piano, an arcade stick, a drone, a film camera, two DSLRs, a convection toaster, an instant pot, a zojirushi kettle, a dedicated rice cooker, and a dedicated grind and brew coffee machine, about a dozen houseplants, two couches, two cat trees…

and I’m in an apartment and my wife only yells at me from time to time

5 Likes

I’m normal

oh I forgot to mention my 3D printer and hammock

(it actually took me a while to realize having all this junk makes me way happier than not)

6 Likes

When I try to calculate this my brain falls out and rolls around on the floor and then a cartoon rat grabs it and hijinks ensue. I forget the point i was trying to make.

2 Likes

the place is immaculately tidy and everything is tucked away perfectly because I am an obsessive

oh we have a waffle maker and a pasta machine and a stand mixer too, you gotta

1 Like

You gotta have an L-Kitchen with an island?

Oh we dream of an L-kitchen with an Island.

1 Like

yeah that would be nice

1 Like

gotta watch out for holes in your bathroom walls if you got an L kitchen though

1 Like

Hey is there a cheap reliable router with decent WiFi speeds that has gigabit Ethernet ports? Ideally I want a port to go out and plug my computer in directly.

I got a kinda crappy one on accident and I want to see if I can do better.

I like this one

very good chipset, 4x4 mu-mimo, does everything you’d want from wifi 5, I can copy to my NAS at 75MB/s on wifi

it’s getting old but I’m waiting for ubiquiti’s wifi 6e offering to upgrade and that’ll be like, 5x as expensive for probably marginal benefit

Do you think Unifi have made things right after the big breach? I’m weary still but maybe I shouldn’t be

there’s still so little prosumer competition in that department (and a lot of “regular consumer” 6E hardware is pointlessly expensive anyway) that I expect that brand to prostrate itself to the fullest extent possible before their next flagship comes around

I have been trying to parse if this is a joke or just serious advice about pests.

You longingly talked about the L kitchen in silent hill 4: the room two nights ago

4 Likes

360 days without rain in Taiwan holy shit

6 Likes

click and clack will have their revenge on TSMC

3 Likes

dateline 2023 - due to an obscure force majeure clause in its contract, Apple is now the only company with new computer chips

8 Likes