Tom's Hardware of Finland

Yeah man, I steer super clear of those youtubes.

The majority of my tech questions I just get on the [H]ardforums, for like 15 years. Its an enthusiast site and there is a ton of knowledge in there. Lots of helpful people. [H]ardocp recently stopped doing articles and reviews. But the forums are open for the forseeable future. And Kyle the owner, is still posting.

With fan cooling in a PC, you basically want intakes to be facing the hottest areas. And then exhaust to be somewhere opposite of that. Most cases are usually designed with one or two general ways to orient things for airflow.

Most PC fans are designed to push, not pull. So, if you have a GPU situated where its own fans are well inside the case: those fans are going to passively pull air which is already inside the case. And therefore, heated air. Probably air the GPU itself, heated. Even though there are vents only a few inches away, those fans are designed to put their force into pushing. Not pulling. By the time that air passively enters the vents and makes it to the GPU fans, its gonna be warmer than when it first came into the vents. And those GPU fans are still also just using air which is already in the case. Its kind of a circle. And GPU fans are relatively small, so they have to spin really fast, to push any reasonable amount of air. See: noisey.

So, you put case fans right against the vents, so that they push the air forcibly into the case. Straight at the GPU fans. This bathes the GPU area in that fresh air, which means the GPU fans are gonna get more of that to push into their heatsinks. This will also create more positive pressure to push old case air away from the GPU, towards the exhaust. So the GPU doesn’t just recycle that same warm air, in that circular cycle I mentioned.

ANNNNNND, since the GPU is now getting cooler air in this new positive cycle: You can probably run the GPU fans at a lower speed to still net good temps. Thus, bringing down your noise level. Because case fans are big and good ones don’t need to spin fast and loud, to push in a reasonable amount of air. So your gross volume is lower.

*don’t be afraid to experiment. With cases, intake is generally better than exhaust. Especially small cases. That hot air will find some way out. But it can be tough to get cool air into the right places. I only worry about an active exhaust, if there is a place for it which make sense, totally opposite of the places I want to intake. Otherwise, powersupplies are generally the main exhaust. And those things are designed to run hot, so its fine.

1 Like

https://hardforum.com/forums/small-form-factor-systems.102/

1 Like

I’ve built in a Dan A4 with a friend and it’s a really nice case! I’d probably have gone with it as well for my personal build, but my wife is really sensitive to fan noise (a spun up GPU can bother her when she’s in another room where I would barely even notice it while sitting at the desk) so I’m limited to either water cooling (which the Dancase doesn’t support) or noctua-level case fans doing most of the work.

FWIW I spent literally years mulling over purchasing one of these “premium” sff cases. Me from 15 years ago who got into pc building to save money would be absolutely disgusted… but it is a really nice looking piece of kit and changes where I can reasonably put a desk with a PC case on it as a 30-something with kids who has to have people over from time to time.

Trying to keep my GPU fans at 40% or under without temps climbing above oh, say, 77 degrees is my challenge right now. I’ll grab a few static pressure fans and put them under the GPU and report back my results.

1 Like

[H]ardforums seems extremely useful. Thank you!

GPUs are definitely meant to tolerate up to 85c with no trouble fwiw

I never touch the GPU fan defaults even when I’m overclocking the rest of it, it knows what it wants

1 Like

hi

as someone with an AMD card and who runs their 980ti with power limits maxed and temp limits raised (144hz is a blessing and a curse), no, actually, heat is bad because it’s summer now, even if it means quieter operation

and don’t tell me it’s not noticeable, my case dumping 80-88C heat for an hour or two at a time is readily noticeable when the ambient temp is already in the 80s F

I can live with the noise of an altered fan curve because I game with headphones but I get why it’s an issue for mr. cask

1 Like

just take your pants off

2 Likes

how do you think I dry off after a shower

2 Likes

And more

You can slide a CPU AIO under the PSU, but for a GPU cooler you’d have to leave the side off… I have mine full of Noctura fans (well, one) and it doesn’t do shit for the GPU, it gets hot when it get hot and spins fans regardless. Get a quiet card, replace the fans, get a fast card and config it for massive underperformance?

AMD driver upgrades have surprisingly made a difference recently

1 Like

I stopped by Microcenter yesterday and picked up a few noctua static pressure fans to put under the GPU. My image was that the fans blowing against each other would be like this:

But after running about an hour of Sekiro last night I did see the commonly reported temperature drop of about 15 degrees on my GPU while keeping the GPU fans at around 40% max (which is about all of the gpu fan whine my wife can tolerate while in the same room), and I am now able to keep the PC running silently even at 144hz gaming. I don’t totally get how it works but I can’t argue with the results.

EXCEPT at some point during my breakdown and rebuild and cable management session last night apparently one of the long radiator screws from my cheapo aio cpu cooler fell off of the radiator INTO one of the fan wells on my GPU, which I did not notice until I booted up the PC and was greeted with a gnarly grinding noise. Now one of the fans has a constant buzzing sound that is extremely annoying! PC BUILDING IS GREAT

3 Likes

Lemme see some good pics of your case setup. Its a Dan A4, right? Pics of both sides and maybe some angled shots, to give a sense of clearances.

Also, what CPU and what GPU?

*oh i’m a dumbledore, you linked the parts list.

1 Like

Most of it is fine except the PSU cables are a complete arsehole and block ventilation and the side closing nicely. Custom cables are not really optional and a modular PSU is pretty much required

1 Like

Oh I’m just trying to see if I can make some suggestions on improving cooling. I don’t actually care how ‘nice’ your stuff looks. I’m the guy who tears off GPU fan shrouds and stock fans and twist ties 80mm case fans onto the GPU.

1 Like

This is probably an extremely dumb question but I’ve got that exact same motherboard. How did you attach that m.2 SSD?

also that dvd drive

edit: I’m an idiot and figured it out

@disestablished I live in Scotland, I don’t have cooling problems. I don’t like how loud the GPU fans get but I already mounted the maximum number of fans & the GPU is basically in its own thermal zone

@cask uuuh I forget, probably on the back closest to the GPU and it’s heat, and eating up half the PCIE bandwidth. Also lol yes it’s an external drive

I just want to say to Dan that I’m really sorry that no one noticed his Dan when he posted it before now that we’re all talking about the Dan

2 Likes

full respect and empathy for the “why do I have this terrible hobby that is increasingly a nuisance for my loved ones and invites what seem like totally unnecessary lifestyle choices” moments of contemplation and quiet regret

1 Like

my experience is that the smaller you get, the less fun PC building is but also you get to sit and think more on “well, what if I do this” kind of stuff which is half the fun

shame the actual “let’s open up the case” part turns into “oh god, I have to open up the case”

7 Likes

Good news, if you never close the case you never get to face that fear

@toptube here ya go

2 Likes

looking at your PSU cables makes me want to open my breadbox up and split the cables up with a knife and tie them into bundles but also that’s work

1 Like