Tiger Handheld Games & Friends

this is amazing i’m so glad i made this thread

I also have this

It’s kinda like enemy zero? You have to tune the frequency to try and track an invisible alien, then use the noises to try and detect which direction it’s coming from and shoot it before it gets you. It’s pretty neato.

I had a stack of random tiger games but sold them all years ago. I REGRET THIS but at least I kept the more interesting ones.

9 Likes

also i picked up one of these at a flea market recently because why not

I quite like the huge keypad, and it runs on carts so you can get more phrases but i dont know if any extra ones were released

3 Likes

i remember the wheel of fortune one being in every argos catalogue for years and years

I had this little device when I was like 10:

It’s about 10 inches tall and, in my memory, weighs like a pound or more. I would walk around the house casting and reeling and never catching anything.

One time I was in the living room and I did a real good cast, but lost my grip and threw it directly at my sister’s head, and it impacted her skull with a huge clunk noise. She was…not bleeding? I think she’s lucky I did not concuss her!

My mom was convinced I did it on purpose, somehow, and tried to convince my sister to be mad at me? But she wasn’t, she knew there was no way I would chuck a plastic fishing brick at her on purpose. I’m not really sure why my mom thought I was suddenly evil.

Anyway, I didn’t use it for a long time and later I got a keychain sized version that, even if thrown at 100mph, would probably only sting.

6 Likes

sorry Clint, impact force is mass times (velocity squared)

oh your poor sister

THE MAINFRAME WILL VIBRATE AND GLITTER WHEN HIT

This ebay seller kinda rules. They seem to have relocated from Egypt. That’s the most MSX (including a lot of Arabic MSX) and ZX spectrum I’ve ever seen from a US seller. Their feedback is fairly bad though.

Edit: the bad feedback says they are shipping Egypt not US even though it says otherwise lol.

5 Likes

wait is this the game the dick pills are based on?

It’s a piece of the puzzle for sure

1 Like

this tech, and these exact games, have been around for something like 20 years at this point. in many different shapes and name variations. probably longer, but people have only been posting about them since the mid-00s.

though this is the first i’ve seen in a long time, so maybe it’s old stock that got dredged up from somewhere.

1 Like

I asked Grandma for Mortal Kombat this Christmas, and she got me this.

I bought a lot of Tiger LCDs recently, I should update the thread with my collection

BTW if anyone finds out where I can get this, please tell me because it sounds rad:

5 Likes

Here is the rest of my stuff, I’m doing a big clear out so may be able to give more information about some of them soon. I need to check which ones work! I know a few are busted like the TMNT one sadly. I have an R-Zone around somewhere for the carts pictured too

11 Likes

TOMYTRONICS TENNIS
barely works, two player is broken and the first difficulty is busted. it probably just needs to be sprayed with contact cleaner but it’s not interesting enough for me to care, as cool as it looks. just not very interesting to play! so gonna sell it

DOUBLE DRAGON 3
this has a very satisfying throw move, and you can do the spin kick!! this one is actually kinda dope and more fun than the original game lol. also your character portrait is hilarious. one of the better beat’em up tiger handhelds. playable in mame.

DOUBLE DRAGON 1

the background of this is the lesbian pride flag so that’s cool but the rest of the game is a generic boring beat 'em up. oh the kick animation is hilarious though. playable in mame.

PIT-FIGHTER
i thought this would be shit, but after the first few rounds where you just spam attacks, you get attacked by more people at once and people throw shit from the background, and it’s actually kinda fun juggling all the attacks, moving back and forth between enemies. better than the arcade game imo lol

TMNT
makes sounds but has no visuals. it recreates the the starting tune from the first NES game which is cool

NINJA FIGHTER
a no license tiger game, this one isn’t too bad but is also generic. enemies appear as you run to the right and you just need to press the right button to take them out, a bit like QTEs. there are lots of tiger games like this one so i dont know if i’ll bother keeping it

NINJA GAIDEN
you keep running to the right and attack enemies when they appear and sometimes you have to jump to attack them. also has powerups and bosses… i mean they did their best trying to translate the gameplay, but it’s just kinda boring without the platforming stuff. ninja fighter had more interesting stuff going on. playable in mame.

ULTIMATE PINBALL
doesn’t work at all. it looks cool though… there is an overlay that goes over the screen so in theory you could have different tables, but of course they would all play exactly the same, just look different. i really doubt it would have been any good though, i cant see how an LCD pinball could work

CASTLEVANIA 2 SIMON’S QUEST

buttons dont work. might crack it open and see if i can do anything about it but from what i saw it’s yet another just keep moving right and press the right button when different enemies appear kinda game. no crouching in front of a waterfall or whatever the hell it was, just more QTEish style stuff

AIR WOLF
a non-tiger akklaim one (i like the big logo on the back) this sucks, enemies appear and you just move in front of them to shoot. if they fire before you get to them you lose a life even if you’re behind them lol. there are dudes you rescue sometimes but that’s as interesting as it gets.

another akklaim one, much better! there are lots of enemies flying at you, bullets to dodge, and you can even fly low to dodge stuff. pretty decent shoot em up for an LCD game

okay it’s 11 PM that’s enough shitty gaming for now

4 Likes

one of my units smells really strong of glue and i cant figure out which one.

GAUNTLET

this is a cool one, it recreates running around mazes killing monsters, and you look for keys and can use bombs. i bet i would have liked this as a kid, it feels much bigger and deeper than it actually is. my copy needs a massive clean. playable in mame.

MEGA MAN 2

only partially works, half the screen is all faded out. doesn’t look like i’m missing much though, it’s yet another go right and react to the enemies that show up.

DOUBLE DRAGON 2

starts out dead boring with just walking right and reacting to enemies, and you can cheese it a lot with jump attacks so it’s very dull BUT then it adds platforming! and it sucks, the NES version is better. at least they knew that platforming was a part of DD2’s appeal(?).

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

hold right and react to enemies!! except this is somehow worse than all the others because it’s so hard to parse how/where to react to things and how you’re getting hurt. also i sometimes you go too fast to react to things so faithful to sonic amirite!!! playable in mame

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2

the same as the first except now there are loops you need speed to go through and also tails is here. is easier to parse than the first… there are pits you can fall in and you need to use platforms to reach some enemies. better than the first but still a mess. playable in mame.

HOME ALONE 2

i saw someone play the first one (in mame) and its kinda cool, it’s like spy vs spy a bit… you wander around the house and find traps and stuff and hurt the bandits as much as you can (you can see them on a radar even). this sequel is pretty much the same except instead of moving around one floor of a house, you have a multiple floors of a mall to explore. so in the first you could go left, right, up, down in certain rooms, where as in this one it’s just left or right and sometimes up or down an escalator. i think i prefer the original. anyway this is a neat concept for a tiger handheld. one of the better home alone games tbh (though it is a bit clunky)

STREET FIGHTER II

I think some of the buttons dont work so i cant fully judge. playable in mame.

MATTEL BASEBALL

a 2001 re-release of the iconic toy. this is actually really neat! love how they used such basic technology (leds) to make a simple game. i mean it plays like shit but its neat lol.

BATTLETOADS

this is based on the second level of the game for some reason? the one where you bungee down and smack birds around. the gimmick here i think is that you swap between toads who have stronger attacks in different parts of the screen? cant test it properly though because i think one of the attack buttons is busted. playable in mame.

GUITAR HERO

play a crunchy ass version of smoke on the water! this kinda rules lol

TOTAL RECALL

another akklaim one and they really were worse than tiger most of the time. in this case you play arnie and have to run through an exit when it appears, and dodge other stuff in the mean time and pick up bonus items. not as interesting as that sounds

THE SIMPSONS

another akklaim one. here maggie is throwing muffins and you gotta catch them and give them to marge when she sticks her head out. if you get the max amount of muffins before dropping them off you get a bonus, but you run the risk of dropping them all. not very bart-like, being helpful! then homer tells everyone to get on the couch, and you have to sit before lisa does, i guess blocking her? that’s more barty. this is actually pretty addictive… it’s simple fun in the way old game and watch games like vermin are. plus the art is great

THE LITTLE MERMAID

clearly marketed for young girls, it’s impossible to get a game over and is instead a score attack game. you swim through the levels trying to touch as many butts (boats) as you can, and picking up human trash off the bottom. there are things that will slow you down (stopping you from scoring big as the levels are timed) and there are even boss fights, but you beat them with the two male characters of course (including impaling ursula with the boat). for the most part it really is just moving up and down to dodge/collect shit though. could have been worse i guess. for some reason this and a couple of other tiger handhelds were re-released a few years back

DOUBLE DRAGON 3 REVISITED

turns out this is even cooler than i thought, you can pick up weapons enemies drop and you can recruit some bosses to your side (but only billy has the cool spin kick). so yeah, one of the better beat 'em up adaptations to LCD.

FIRE ATTACK

my only actual game and watch and it’s a racist one lol. you defend a fort from native americans trying to set it on fire. some damage to the screen but still fully playable, it’s pretty boring though. just changing to four different spots and attacking when an enemy is there. will be saying good bye to this one for sure

MOTORCYCLE RACE

a generic handheld. one of those very basic driving games where you just go forward and dodge things by moving left or right.

RIPPA MONKEY

was looking forward to this one because rippa is an australian brand but it’s busted

4 Likes

the upcoming drive tomica! handle driver appears to be a modern version of the tomy racing turbo, with an actual game in it this time

1 Like

SKANMASTER

I thought this was some kind of barcode battler thing but it turns out it’s a toy-to-life thing where you have to scan in action figures. A bit annoying because I’m sure the figure was at the thrift store I bought this from but I didn’t get it. So now I have a search on ebay… right now there is a sealed figure for $30 which is too much and also i dont like the character design, and another person is selling 15 figures for like $100 which again no thanks. will keep people updated.

oh you can also plug different carts/games into the system. the one included is a digimon type thing where you train your figure and battle with other ones.

WRESTLEMANIA

I love the little LCD andre the giant! i was hoping to play as him but you have to play as hogan instead, boo. A pretty simple game, you have to time your attacks right to counter andre, and also look out behind you for the million dollar man who throws chairs and money bags at you. simple but fun, plus i like the lcd andre the giant.

BIG FOOT

i thought this would be a generic driving LCD game but it has some neat ideas. in the first level you dodge cars, grab tyres from the left, and put them on the right. then once you have the four tyres, you turn into BIG FOOT and can jump over hurdles and try to score more points in round two, then in round three cars come back and you can crush them! so they knew what the people wanted to do in a monster truck. unfortunately in practice its quite clunky, mainly because there is brake and acceleration and that stuff is far too hard to gauge with LCD graphics and it becomes frustrating hitting things because you were either going too fast or too slow but weren’t sure of it

WIZARDS AND WARRIORS

not bad! you dodge spiders and bats and attack enemies and wait for keys to appear so you can get three to unlock the door to the boss which you beat with some well timed attacked. it gives you HP instead of lives and is very generous with it. after you beat the boss, you do the same thing again except enemies are faster etc. i kinda like how they try to condense action adventure stuff into a single screen LCD… even if it wasn’t that succesful

TAPTAP

this is some new fidget toy thing i saw in a thrift store. as a fidget toy i think it’s pretty useless because the point of those is that you don’t have to look at them while you fiddle, but as a portable game thing it’s neat. it has a bunch of different games built-in that uses the squares as the screen and the light up different colours. the squares are also buttons and can be used in some of the games, or the joystick at the bottom is used. all the games are pretty basic stuff, but i still think it’s neat

if anyone wants pics of particular machines in action (assuming my ones work) let me know

1 Like

I like pictures ^ _^

1 Like