Tiger Handheld Games & Friends

I said I was gonna do it so I did it.

Did anyone else have these little jerks? I was pretty into them for awhile as a child. Have they become some kind of weird obsession for the modern internet user? I haven’t looked around much online.

I do remember that the Mega Man 2 one was the best. But I also spent a lot of time with Gauntlet. If you are not blessed with the good fortune of having been a 90’s KID, these were standalone handheld LCD games that were loosely based on real video games. They were mostly shit but were a good way to waste time in the car. My main memory is, for example, being a tiny tot and sitting in the car while my mom bought flowers, trying hard to beat Bubble Man in Mega Man 2. You know, the usual.

Anyway, they came in two formats. Let’s call them

Wide Boys
and

Tall Boys.

The main one of those was the TMNT one, which was vaguely (extremely vaguely) based on the first NES game IIRC. It was hard as a mother fucker, too.

Good news everyone. A lot of these are emulated on archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/handheldhistory

Knock yourselves out. Be careful not to game too hard–you never know what might happen.

7 Likes

just remembered that the King S of F mountain for the Wide Boys was this nutty thing that was both a Football Game and a Baseball Game, based on the storied career of Bo Jackson.

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tiger/BoJackson.htm

It defies categorization, like Bo Jackson himself. Bo knows Baseball. Bo knows Football. You, the Player, know a good video game when you see one.

3 Likes

Man I had this one, from when Acclaim was making their own models, and it was jank as hell, but equally as nonsensical as its arcade and NES counterparts.

I remember fighting a giant floating head at one point.

2 Likes

I had the megaman 2 one too! I do not remember having any tall boys though

i think the tall boys are all konami games. i’ve defintely seen ads in american comics of the time advertising a bunch of konami handhelds that all looked like that.
i had the tiger handheld of sonic 2, and had no idea what i was supposed to do in it.
can we make this thread about lcd games in general maybe?

3 Likes

I’ll allow it!

I loved these (I also didn’t have a Game Boy until I was 15). I even drew up some of my own once I figured out how the LCD screen images were arranged. I was fascinated with them.

My cousin had the TMNT Konami tall boy and often when I would go to his house it wouldn’t have any batteries in it, but a couple of times it did and I played the shit out of it.

There was a Tiger Sonic (2?) game that my other cousin had and I played whenever I got the chance to. Considering I didn’t actually play a real Sonic game until, like, 2008, that was my whole impression of Sonic as a game for a while. He also had Hook, which was unreasonably difficult.

My own collection included Aladdin, which I played incessantly. It is probably the only LCD game I ever beat? I remember it had about four distinct stages with at least two different modes of play (different challenges and slightly different play styles). There was one that I preferred more than the other.

That… might have been all I had personally. Long before that I had an LCD soccer game that I never knew how to play, but I think I got it from some school fundraiser.

EDIT: Of course I really wanted a Darkwing Duck one but I think I only ever saw it in a store once. Must’ve had a pretty limited run.

I had a couple Wide Boys.

This guy was my favorite. I had another one but I can’t remember the name of it. I know it was a fighting game, was blue, and had a bald guy in kungfu attire on it.

3 Likes

I’m still pretty convinced G&W Zelda is the pinnacle of these

i owned several Wide and Tall boys. definitely the TMNT ones (i think there were three?), but i forget the rest. they’re probably in storage at my mom’s place.

i had these two

looking at them really brings me back. i remember the batman one having two discreet types of levels, one where you drove the batmobile shooting at stuff and then an on foot punch/batarang level. i don’t really remember the sonic one very well. note the “tails” button!

i also had this which was significantly more fantastic

i mean look at that screen. you’d start in the middle on the left side and then make your way to that pink warp pipe to get underground and then climb up to the top right where, as you may be able to make out, you’d find bowser in the clown helicopter thing. there was even a lock just before bowser, you had to grab the key along the way. you’d get yoshi at one point and a feather at another, i think.

wow, there’s even a halfway goalpost. i actually can’t handle this right now, i wonder if i still have it somewhere

none of these are on that emulation site!!!

8 Likes

jesus christ it says “super mario bros. 4”

7 Likes

A friend of mine had this one, and I got to borrow it whenever I wanted.

One of my younger siblings had this thing, which had a juggling game in addition to its educational programs. The speed gradually increased and it added in more cookies. I don’t remember my highest score, but I assume the game was endless.

2 Likes

My little brother got an R-Zone for xmas or his birthday, once.

The games looked like the trash pictured above, projected onto the plastic sayan scouter lens. There were Sega games. The game carts themselves were interesting little self contained screen modules.

Never knew 'till right now that there were also these more typical-style handheld variants of the console:

In summary: true garbage. He also later bought a Virtua Boy from Walmart for like $15. A real shit 90s VR vet.

9 Likes

I’m in love with the R Zone. It’s so bad and weird

2 Likes

Ninja Fighter was the best one of these that passed through the elementary school lunch table crowd.

There were three standard TMNT games, and a TMNT basketball game.

2 Likes

I think I had a Street Fighter one, or a friend did and I played it a lot.

I had the mega man 2 one, the double dragon one, that ninja thing vikram posted, some football game, who knows what else. I’m pretty sure there was a ninja turtles one?