This thread is for people who aren't suckers who buy cars.

also someone stole my bike

it had a wooden handle bar and a leather seat it was nice

2 Likes

i have a big anti car anti road post in me somewhere that I’m still planning to bash out eventually

but it’s curious that trains have always had more appeal for as long as i can remember. i didn’t care about machines that could take me “anywhere” (on the arbitrary grid that we have dissected the land into), but machines that took me directly from one “important place” to another were more interesting at least in principle

i think i just want everything to be one dimensional

5 Likes

sometimes I go down to the garage on sunday afternoons just to vacuum out the car and run a damp rag over all the dog drool on the windows

meanwhile I have to remember to bring an allen key down to the bike room like once a year to tighten my bike seat and the whole time I’m thinking “how dare you demand this of me”

5 Likes

I am literally the exact opposite

I realize I am very privileged to live in a relatively bike-able area but driving is just yuck

I just get mad at everyone, my wife gets stressed because I’m mad, and now that I bike everywhere I’m even more stressed when I drive because I notice how bad everyone is at driving

do you know how BAD everyone is at driving? it’s real bad

5 Likes

yeah I love feeling superior to people and swearing at them

1 Like

I also have the moral authority to flip anyone in a car off which is probably 50% of the reason I ride a bike

4 Likes

they get so mad and it’s so cute

3 Likes

Boooooo

Hissssssss

Ban this sick filth.

Cars seem like a weird trap that promises you freedom and takes it away.

The people I know who drive have mostly either stayed in their hometowns or live in suburbs, while the people I know who don’t drive tend to be well traveled.

9 Likes

ive never had a license, the first time i learned to drive in a parking lot i almost flipped the car chasing a rabbit

ive just figured out ways of having to ever drive

if i lived in a rural area id probably be a mudding motherfucker tho

1 Like

I mean. The dystopian future, maybe.

But honestly, this is probably not true. Trains ARE the solution to moving many people quickly to their destinations. More technology will only create better trains. Cars, in comparison, are some abberrant blip of a mistake that could only be produced by the inefficiencies of capitalism. You got people running around in fucking horseless carriages, because a dude in a suit told them that sitting in traffic makes them a rebel.

I suspect that anyone who thinks cars are inevitable and eternal probably hasn’t lived in a city with a good skytrain or subway.

2 Likes

Dang.

Guess it’s finally time to cancel Felix, huh?

Man.

I’m gonna go cosmic brain:

Have y’all ever noticed that the arguments for and against cars have eerie similarities to the arguments for and against guns?

2 Likes

i agree maybe in the future trains will be on demand, miniaturized and hyper mobile with rubber tires and operate themselves on cheap very wide flat asphalt tracks they will belong to the people and will take us all to every place

4 Likes

yeah this came up in another thread

tbf if only the police and military were allowed to own automobiles i’d be pretty pissed but that doesn’t mean more is better

but also in the meantime lets get that dallas shinkansen going baby they got them korean spas there

4 Likes

fire me out a tube into some kind of inflatable mega mitt

1 Like

Add other emergency services and that sounds ideal.

I mean, in a true low-car future there would be very few “roads” and instead there would be lots of neighborhoods with public walkways. In cities these would be densely packed, in rural areas much less so. So, I guees in rural areas some police stations with overly large jurisdictions would probably have one or two cars. But I think mostly emergency services would use alternate routes and get traffic priority on train lines. There would also probably be a lot more bike and horse cops, which is a concept that only sounds odd because we live in a dystopia in which the majority of our developed spaces have been terraformed by car companies.

I don’t know all the details, but NYC subways already have medical trains that are deployed when there’s an accident in the station. I think firemen are the most problematic, though I think a greater amount of community policing would probably be a result of tall this, so maybe fire fighting would become increasingly local?

But the transition to such a future would be so gradual that I don’t think we have to worry too much about solving every logistical problem in one fowl swoop.

If we simply build a lot more trains, much fewer people will buy cars, and I think this is a case in which the market (in reaction to the none market intervention of government infrastructure spending) could provide valuable feedback on how many roads are actually needed, as such a process continues. Real estate abhors a vacuum.

3 Likes