the zodiac ache

how many of these do you think are actually attributing this sentiment to one guy as though the entire critique hangs off of it? I would say, like, zero; someone above commented that when they say “matsuno” it’s shorthand for the entire team that came over from ogre battle, and I would go beyond that, and say “whoever was in charge of the game’s original design, absent obvious producer meddling.” I bet that’s not just matsuno himself! I also bet it basically doesn’t matter unless you focus unduly on this one semantic point!

You can literally sub in “matsuno”, “a whole team”, or whatever (I will use X) into my post if you want, and it doesn’t change the point that people are still spending most of their time comparing an actual game to their headcanon supposition of “what X would have done”. It’s still not really talking about the game itself.

booji this is asinine

like, how would you rather separate “obvious flaws that add nothing” from “projected headcanon”? surely you must have some better way if this bothers you so much?

Fuck off.

Yes, as i talked about above, it’s “talking about what is actually wrong with the game”. Sorry if you view that as assinine.

like I feel like this argument only even resumed because I accidentally used “the original plan” as a shorthand in a perfectly innocuous critique and you JUMPED BACK IN TO ARGUE AUTHORIAL INTENT

I’m sorry I didn’t rephrase that post, whose meaning was not changed at all by the inclusion of that phrase

You’re not the only one her doing it, don’t worry. This is basically all the internet talks about in regards to FF12 most time.s

there have been more substantive and insightful discussions of the game’s flaws in this topic alone than I have ever seen elsewhere on the entire internet

my view is that the rest of the internet is obsessed with “are gambits good? uhhhhh… I dunno!” and loses sight of whether maybe the game wasn’t widely beloved because so many other parts of its execution were cocked up

1 Like

Yes, and yet people keep bringing up “compromises” and “the original plan” and…blahblahblah.

ok can you suggest a wordfilter for those two phrases that don’t change their meaning at all but make you less upset because I bet you can if you try

Again, fuck off and learn how to actually talk about a game instead of your Matsuno fanwank.

To clarify, my thing about FF games being ruined was intended as a potential explanation for how things turned out to be not absolutely perfect. In other words, a goof, a lark, a fun little mind game. But we could fuck off instead, that’s cool.

6 Likes

Macros in Phantasy Star IV were pretty good.

3 Likes

Let’s all take some time to think about how our words affect those around us.

6 Likes

By the time this thread reopens tomorrow I’ll be busy at work, so I’m going lean on my mod powers one more time to help myself down off my high horse: the progression of this thread really bummed me out, guys. I think it came from a place of earnest passion, and that passion expresses itself differently in each one of us, but the result of that passion is that we’ve been shitty to each other.

If another mod were handling this, maybe they’d delete a bunch of posts. Maybe another mod will! Maybe I’ll even do it myself, when I inevitably second-guess this post—but for now, I’m not pruning anything. I’m just asking that we each consider whether this monument to our passions is actually in the shape we want it to take, and we let that judgment guide our interactions with it.

EDIT: I appear not to understand the topic timer controls. Fuck it. Thread’s open!

3 Likes

No way, man. XIII’s bestiary is a bizarre miracle.

I was going to respond to this with something else and realized I don’t know what you mean by “hardtype.”

I’ve been staring at this thing all day, I can’t get over how hideous it is

the shorts

the wheels

1 Like

I guess I just mean that I consider FFXII forgiving: even if you make suboptimal investments in your equipment, or license board choices, or you set your gambits up badly, it’s very rare that you’ll lock yourself into a party configuration that’s unplayably bad. You’re free to experiment, and if an experiment goes awry, you have a variety of tools to try to salvage the situation.

FAQs like this one demonstrate how different kinds of weapons become superior for different characters at various points in their leveling progression, but as I said earlier, I sailed obliviously past all this complexity because this forgiving nature makes mastery unnecessary.

With that in mind, I was drawing a parallel with the old FF4j/FF2us dichotomy of the “hardtype” and the “easytype” versions; I wouldn’t personally want to play an unforgiving version of FFXII, because I think it would be interesting at the expense of being fun, but I’d very much like to watch someone else try to chart an optimal path of progression through that hypothetical game.

3 Likes

a story with two acts