The Ultimate Just Got Better: Minty on PS2

I never realized these were actually tiny model kits. I knew they were toys, but I-I need to buy one now.

2 Likes

if i could have voted for 2 i would have voted for cookie and cream but you need a friend to co-op with to get the full experience

2 Likes

It’s a good thing I live with my best friend!

6 Likes

OH SHIT I RETRACT MY VOTE

1 Like

thank you for the backup @shelter keep it 100 out here

1 Like

Same

I’ve always been curious about victorious boxers because it was developed by the company that made chippoke ralph no daibouken

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of this! It looks like a delightful afternoon of a game.

Dang! I want to play that Truck game.

Oni is bad but I think everyone should play it. Then look at the boxart again then play it a bit more and then do anything else.

On the other hand Onimusha is cool and 4 hours long.

2 Likes

The truck game looks amazing and now it’s tied for third!

It’s been maybe fifteen years since I’ve played Onimusha and I’d love to try it again.

Oni is a complete enigma to me.

What the hell vote for the truck game, people

That and Nightmare of Druaga are the only PS2 games I still own.

I got to play this at Taito HEY! it was amazing.

6 Likes

Gadget Racers

I took these photos in 2020, right before my home’s electric system started to contemplate killing me and burning all of my belongings. After two weeks or so without consistent electricity, I fell out of my routine. I never forgot about you, however, and I’m back.

This series has the most confusing naming convention I’ve seen. Allow me to illustrate: this release is known as Choro Q HG in Japan, Gadget Racers in America, and Penny Racers in Europe. In Japan, sequels follow a logical numerical sequence but the same is not true in America and Europe. Instead, America calls the next two games Road Trip and Road Trip: Adventure Avenue. Europe calls those two Road Trip Adventure and Gadget Racers. This makes finding Youtube videos and iso’s very difficult.

I like this game a lot. I didn’t know I was going to like it when I first started driving. At their initial tuning, cars are slow, rigid, and unwieldy. However, once you start buying more pieces and learning the difference between front wheel, rear wheel, and four wheel drive, you start to look at the game almost like an RPG. Each course has unique problems to consider. Some have 90 degree turns and narrow hallways; others have wide dirt roads; other tracks even have ramps that you can glide off of if you had the foresight to attach wings to your car.

2021 is the Year of Chibi and it’s only appropriate that I step into this year with chibi cars, possibly the greatest thing you could decide to draw. Seriously, go look at Akira Toriyama’s cars. They are all chibi and all amazing. This game is very kind in that the body of the car has no bearing on its stats. A garbage truck is all the same under the hood as a Porsche. I want to keep going with this PS2 series just so I can play the later games and experience the beauty of an open world of cars living in harmony with one another.

13 Likes

Road Trip (US) is so good! I remember one of the early side quests has you looking for someone’s kid, and the kid is a new VW Beetle while the parent is an old VW Beetle.

5 Likes

This is exactly what I want!

1 Like

Oni

It wants feet.

I believe this is the first PC-to-PS2 port I’ve covered in this series. As you’ll see, this is an illustrious category of game. If my notes are correct, this is also the first American-developed game in the series. As a representative of America, I’m sorry. I’m so, so, so sorry.

This has got to be one of the ugliest games I’ve played, but I didn’t realize it at first. I thought, sure, blank-walled and empty rooms makes sense for a training area. Then I played the next level and the one after that. It’s all grey, black, and white. On top of that, it looks like the character artists did what I did in the summer of '05: they bought the Scholastic published How to Draw Manga and went to town.

Levels are largely rectangles connected to each other by sliding doors. You enter a room and maybe there’s a guy who runs up to kick you in the face. Maybe the guy has an automatic rifle and gets to unload a clip into you before you can punch him. Maybe there is nothing at all. Rooms aren’t completely empty. They usually have computer terminals that unlock doors so you can go through more rooms.

I was a little excited to get into the game at first because your moveset seemed somewhat varied, but no amount of variety is going to make this game feel good. I’ll admit I’m playing in an emulator so maybe I should’ve adjusted the deadzones and sensitivity on the analog sticks, but here’s the thing, there’s no lock-on. So many of my encounters involved skating in circles around my opponent or jump kicking at an angle away from them. Also, if you want to run, you have to double tap the analog stick forward. It feels bad and I don’t like feeling bad.

The frustration hit its climax when I faced the Deadly Brain. It is a HAL-3000 computer tower in the middle of the room. In each cardinal direction, there’s a computer terminal that you have to access in order to hack into it or something. While you try to do this, lasers spin around the room like spokes on a wheel. If you hit a laser, machine guns and rockets start pummeling you into submission. I would run to a terminal but go one step over and trigger the onslaught, or I would fail the double tap and only commit to a light jog towards the next terminal before being washed over in a shower of light effects. After dying a dozen times, I knew I could not give up, so I tapped into an old skill. I turned the camera straight onto the path I wanted to go, I counted, and I double tapped* the stick forward with all my might.

I won and immediately deleted the iso. I exorcised the ghost from its shell.

12 Likes

I believe Bungie hyped this game by declaring it “the first game with level design by actual architects” or something to that effect

Paid off, eh

9 Likes

The proportions are so off! You could fit two king-sized mattresses back-to-back in the width of these hallways!

トラック狂走曲 〜愛と哀しみのロデオ〜

This game makes me want to learn Japanese. This game makes me want to live in Japan and drive a truck. You can go anywhere with a truck even if signs tell you you can’t.

I know enough kana to understand that there is an Arcade Mode, an Original Mode, and Options. However, I do not know enough to answer what I believe is a personality quiz at the beginning. If any bilingual people want to translate this for me, I will be eternally grateful. I demand to know which truck driver I am.

Like Outrun, this is a driving game, not a racing game. You drive a dekotora, or decorated truck. You are racing against time to meet someone you love. Maybe you love your son or your dad. Maybe you love your cat.

In Original mode, you try to complete specific requests. In the first mission, I collected 60 tuna fish, at one point finding myself teleported into a dark canyon where I faced off against a bomb throwing rival. When I completed that, I was anxious to try another mission and after brute forcing my way through menus and dialogues, I found my self in Hell. It was a circular track with no edges. One false move and I would plummet to my death. I was able to complete one ring around and claim victory, but the evil twins who had sent me there demanded I do it again in two laps. I…could not do this.

I watched a video of someone playing on the arcade cabinet and the turning on the wheel looks delightfully loose, perfect for madly spinning clockwise to counterclockwise. I hope the arcade game has the horn in the center of the steering wheel. I honked that horn so many times in the game. Cars listen actually listen to you and move out of the way! I think I’ve learned something from this game and that is to demand what I want instead of meeting other people at their pace. I have people I love waiting for me! I don’t have time to read your bumper sticker!

13 Likes

I think this is the first PS2 game I’ve ever seen that doesn’t filter its textures? Are there others?

They might be untextured because I’m playing on an emulator and my laptop can only polate so many lines.