Games You Played Today: 358 Threads Over 2

I was inspired by @MintyJuffowup’s posting about Truck Kyousoukyoku to retrieve my long lost Playstation 2 from a shipping container out in the country, and along with playing that game, fulfill my lifelong fantasy of “playing Time Crisis games at home”. I feel like it is important to maintain a stash of mundane and attainable goals.

Ordered some GunCons from some guy on OfferUp. While awaiting for them to arrive: got a cheap component+composite video cable for RGBs output, a cheap SATA hard drive adapter. Got FreeHDBoot setup on an old drive. Things worked surprisingly smoothly, other than some issues with my monitor losing/struggling with sync during certain scenes of various games - some/all of that could prob. be solved by using a properly constructed RGB cable, and conveniently the issues with Time Crisis 2 went away once I patched in the GunCon’s passthrough cables.

I also did not realize you still can’t boot Playstation 1 games from anything but the disc drive (other than some questionable PS1 for PS2 emulator) on a soft-modded machine. That’s on me, that’s “my ‘B’”. My PS2 has a 2002/3-era modchip in it that can boot burned discs via various controller-button launch-shortcuts, and was able to get a few of my old burned PS1 discs to load. So, the PS2’s laser still works, but I haven’t been able to burn a new working PS1 disc with my current solution of ‘using some old version of a PowerPC Mac app, that some guy on a forum said works, on an eMac’. Oh well, there’s a PS2 port of Time Crisis + Point Blank 1-3.

Anyways it’s getting late so I thank you for reading this game gadget blog and I wish you a pleasant spring week.

18 Likes