The Shooting 20XX Part II: Simple 1500 Series

r-type delta is sooooo fucking good… a very strong title in the Legendary IREM Softography imo… also possibly my personal pick for the best low poly shmup and one of the better 2.5d games in general, i like it more than games like raycrisis and einhander (which to be clear are games i think are excellent)

9 Likes

5 Likes

The demo is out! Here is my live review from earlier today:

help :genki:



9 Likes

Apparently it is not a good port https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jURSk4JVIQ

Sounds like PS1 is still the most accurate though really nowhere close, M2 must be saving DDP as their emergency option if they can’t get any other Shottriggers game financed, surely?

2 Likes

i find it amusing that rudie in particular is lamenting DoDonPachi ports since he has a MiSTer (one of the very best ways to play the game outside of a real cab)

1 Like

Sooner than I expected!

Ubusana…

4 Likes

The Megadrive version is expected next year.

I would love a megadrive version of Ubusuna

1 Like

Electric Underground is VERY PARTICULAR.

Revisiting the demo as I discovered other games were also running terribly due to Something In My Setup, so I must humbly eat crow. Also, don’t let frustrations elsewhere in your life colour your opinions of a perfectly good computer game!


  • My “PS2 Clearance Bin circa 2008” comment still stands but in a far more endearing sense. Most of my favourite PS2 games came out of bargain bins.
  • The pacing is actually all right, I’d put it closer to the original Tatsujin than Ou.
  • Probably my hottest take is the 16:9 ratio playfield actually works and gels quite well with how Tatsujin’s enemy patterns are usually laid out. After playing through several times I noticed how well zako enemies are positioned to distract you from larger threats early on. It really shines when sub-bosses and bosses come into play, especially the larger ones that take up a lot of screen space. Between this and the pacing, I think it has a good feel.
  • Sound design is solid, music could use a bit more energy. The synthpop instrumentation is fine, I just think the tempo is lacking a bit. The rendition of “Sally” is really growing on me, that said.
  • The new white needle weapon is kind of nice during waves where enemies spawn from the rear, but that’s about it.

I apologise, Whoever Made This, you clearly like video games and I was having a bad afternoon. :bloodpotion:

4 Likes

well shit, guess I’ll give it a try then

the character art though… :sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

And Consoles You Say

i swear this had a different title when i originally wishlisted it

5 Likes

Never had a chance to play this on PS3, so pretty pumped to get hands-on after so long!

Does that mean Pocky and Rocky is also a “non-autoscroll anime shmup”?

4 Likes

Ah man, it’s just the Mega Drive one, which is still cool as hell, but I would tell people to try the MSX version EGGconsole put out, which offers multiple classes and differ power ups and such. Also the levels are pretty different!

Also gotta wonder about the carts themselves, but I still might just do this.

1 Like

Latest Arcade Archives release is Macross II. The first one was pretty good, but this one looks quite different. Anyone here have any fond memories of this?

2 Likes