The Shooting 20XX Part II: Simple 1500 Series

2 Likes

Kickstarter is live.

2 Likes

8 Likes

R-Type Final 2 strikes me as a little garish in its current form compared to the subdued look of the past games. But I will back it on Kickstarter regardless, confident that the final version will be of the same quality as their past work. (Dimensions was someone else, right? I hope so, because I didn’t like that one.)

I wonder if the actual release will keep the working title, which still sounds like an April Fools’ Day joke. I like that one of the stretch goals is to include 102 ships.

Now they just need a Kickstarter campaign for an English release of Disaster Report 4. (And one for Bumpy Trot 2.)

3 Likes

…aaaaaand it’s funded in less than two days. Would be neat to see a few of those bonus stage stretch goals, but I don’t know about remaking every ship. There was a lot of chaff in FINAL’s lineup.

1 Like

There was, but there was a lot of fun to be had in getting a new shit-tier ship and trying to do anything with it. That being said, just give me a customozable ship and I can ignore the missing 75 garbage ships, no problem.

The customizable ship is 5000 dollars.

Dammit, I just want like the last two ships from Final where I can pick my weapon array and maybe colors (assuming I am remembering correctly).

I do not have five thousand dollars.

1 Like

My mistake it was 10,000 dollars.

4 Likes

The R-Type Final 2 campaign reached the point at which they will be remaking a level each from Final, Delta, and 3. They are asking people to vote on Twitter for which stages.

If I were to vote, I’d probably go with the mothership stage from each game. But I don’t feel strongly enough about it to actually post on Twitter, let alone bring myself to type a hashtag.

Paging @wourme for a review.

Horgihugh is a charming game. It has a “retro” style, though I think it feels more like something you might have played on a PC in the 1990s than on a console. The music is good, as you can hear in that trailer.

They added an “Easy” mode not long ago, which I find helpful because I’m secretly not very good at scrolling shooters despite having been enamored with them all my life. Easy mode doesn’t add checkpoints, but it does let you keep power-ups on death.

There’s a Fantasy Zone-style shop. I’m not playing the English version, so I’ve had to guess at what some of the items do. Another character tosses you power-ups pretty often, though. And although random, those seem to be just as good as or better than the ones in the shop.

There’s also a shop on the title screen that unlocks after you’ve played a few times (or maybe it just came with the update). However, I haven’t figured out how to get any of the currency it requires.

Some aspects of the game are very “indie.” Mostly in a good way, but I’ve occasionally hit a bug or annoyance that could be fixed in a future patch.

I have not yet reached the end of the game (the snow level is as far as I’ve made it), but that’s nothing new. I still haven’t finished Ikaruga, either.

Is this a review? Probably not a very good one. Regardless, I think you should be able to get a pretty good sense of whether you’d find the game appealing from the trailer that Dracko posted.

5 Likes

Not sure if I should make this a selectbutton or a hingeproblems but it works for both.

3 Likes

Hellsinker! I am beginning to think no one understands this game. This is the graduate thesis of “shooters encourage replay.”

1 Like

I have never even heard of this but sure it is now on my wishlist.

TIG Source of all communities got really into it. It has like three different modes and secret bosses and levels and variables and I have it and tried for a while to get into it but it was inscrutable.

Well that means I will have a project whenever that happens. I look forward to being baffled.

I like the style of this game. Definitely worth the current price. And the itch.io version also includes a Steam key.

2 Likes