The SelectButton Webring - join the ring and talk about building a personal website

Do you have a personal website? Do you want to join the SB Webring? If the answer to both of those questions is anything north of “Absolutely not”, then have I got a solution for you!

What the hell is a webring?

A webring is a way for a group of sites to create a loose affiliation independently. It helps folks who find your site find other people’s sites too, and vice versa. It’s a little about driving traffic, but mostly it’s about sharing links to people who have a common interest with you. In this case, SB people!

A little histroy: In the days before social media and effective search engines, finding new sites was mostly a matter of word of mouth. A list of static links is always nice, but what if you’re in a group of people who would like to link to each other automatically? And what happens if that list grows? Does everyone have to update their site individually?

Enter the webring! This was a way for one person to manage a list of sites, and for everyone to link to each other without having to manually update their own site. Each site would link forwards and backwards, eventually forming a loop (or a ring, get it??) and going back to the beginning. They often had “Random” buttons as well, to go to a random site in the ring. It’s pretty neat!

Webrings used to drive the personal internet, like geocities and yahoo pages. It was the best way to find people who had something in common. One could be in just one webring, or many webrings, forming a sort of venn diagram of links.

Much cooler than twitter imo

I’ll manage the SB Webring, but you can add it to your page and I’ll get you in ASAP. If you want a sample of what it looks like, just scroll to the bottom of my site.

Check out the current list of sites too: The SelectButton Webring

Wanna join? Do these two things:

1: Put this HTML somewhere on your site, probably index.html:

<div id='sb-ring'>
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://cania.neocities.org/sbwebring/onionring-variables.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://cania.neocities.org/sbwebring/onionring-widget.js"></script>
</div>

2: Submit this form with the URL of your site (specifically the/a page you put the above code on) and a short description.

Also, if you want any ideas/tips/etc. on building a site, I think this is a good place to do that! And feel free to steal anything from my site, as most of that has been lifted from other sites as well. I also have a few resources on building personal sites.

Anyway, looking forward to adding a bunch of people to the ring!

16 Likes

image <(I’m doing my part!)

5 Likes

I’m replying so this topic will track so I can remember to website build in the near of future

3 Likes

I need a website but I super want to be on this when I put it up.

3 Likes

When I get a chance, I’ll do this with the Preserving Worlds website!

3 Likes

oh yeah also if you have multiple websites i’m happy to put them all on there. i don’t think anyone here is gonna have like, 59 websites and drown out everyone else

3 Likes

also replying here to remember to do this when i finally make a site. i was working on re-re-learning HTML and some CSS to make one before life got so hectic; definitely gonna get back to it after there’s at least one less thing on my plate

3 Likes

ctrl-v’ing this code into the website in my soul

1 Like

Would it be worth connecting this to Game Oeuvre even though it’s not an inidividual thing? I know it’s not very active either but thought it couldn’t hurt to ask

6 Likes

it’s called a webring because we bring the visitors to ur site

6 Likes

oh yeah we should def do that. i don’t know how to add the webring code to the site but i can look into it later if nobody else knows how to do it easily

2 Likes

Gonna try to join this asap

1 Like

I added you with the description “Samantha Arantes' Beautiful Site” but let me know if you want me to change it.

Also: Here’s the index of all the sites on the list (just two so far): The SelectButton Webring

3 Likes

Probably not useful for this, but I made an 88x31 icon if anyone has a purpose for it.

6 Likes

is that a challenge

2 Likes

go for it

1 Like

i will add my web site to this, also because i don’t think people know i have a web site and i’m not just some spirit that shows up to say something owns or something sucks

https://www.lonelyfrontier.net/

i mostly write about games (SHOCKER), but lately (and by lately i mean before i ignored using it for nearly a month) i have been using my space as a place to complain about life, and also talk about horny stuff to frighten the squares away

8 Likes

i added you!! you can add the HTML to your site and it should work as intended now

1 Like

I added mine too : )

4 Likes

gimme a short description and i’ll get you added

1 Like