the sb tokusatsu thread

Kamen Rider Kiva appears to be a violin maker who fights vampires along with one of the 80s Kamen Riders?

1 Like

heā€™s a half-vampire (his mum was a vampire) violin maker who fights vampires in 2008, and his dad was part of an organisation of humans who fought vampires in 1986, and in the series you see their stories play out side by side

the other three people in that screenshot can transform into a fishman, a wolfman and a ā€œfrankenā€, which is a thing thatā€™s based on frankensteinā€™s monster, except itā€™s thereā€™s a whole race of them?

a lot of people didnā€™t like it, as it has a bit more romance and even more mumservice than most kamen rider shows, but i remember really enjoying it back when it aired

2 Likes

Super Human Samurai Cybersquadā€™s most interesting feature to me is that itā€™s actually a pretty close adaption of the source material by the standards of western Tokusatsu conversions? They keep most of the same basic characters and premise.

The anime is one of my fave things the post gainax diaspora has made too!

1 Like

i wonder if it was just for cheapness sake but when saban bought PR back from disney the samurai season just straight up had direct adaptations to the degree that they credited the japanese writers and that was weird

1 Like

you have to wonder why they even bother doing such close adaptations instead of just dubbing the show like how thereā€™s english dubbed tokusatsu on tv in the phillipines

no you dont the answer is probably racism

1 Like

i truly think 4kids only dubbed ultraman tiga because everyone wore jackets that had their name on the back

1 Like

I noticed a TBS person in the credits of Gridman. Was this developed specifically to get Power Rangered? The computer world angle makes the fight footage even more borrowable.

thereā€™s also a japanese channel called tbs, unrelated to ted turner

1 Like

Ohhhhh ok!

shoujo commando izumi is now fully translated!

2 Likes

the first series of garo has been officially uploaded to youtube with english subs, and for some reason also subs in romanised japanese!

3 Likes

this looks like the most fun practical suit effects america has produced in years outside of the masked singer

5 Likes

Iā€™ve actually started watching this a couple of weeks ago and the action direction and choreography is way better than youā€™d expect it to be. The legibility of the action is better than most modern movies, so even though it may not be as complex of a scene it can still be cool to watch. It has some strong production values for a YouTube show. I caught the latest episode as it was premiering live on youtube with a chatroom and let me tell you, those people love them some Ultraman. They were going absolutely crazy at every little thing.

(Clip should start at 2:38)

The youtube comments are a good reflection of chat.

Effusive praise for director Koichi Sakamoto:

2 Likes

tsuburaya have the best action direction in the world today. there was a clip going round on twitter a few weeks ago where the director on ultraman z (the most recent ultra show) did an episode of kirameger (the most recent sentai show).

the clip was a fight scene where a giant battle and a human scale battle were happening at the same time, and it was incredible!

actually, i just dug through my likes to find it:

4 Likes

this is definitely true the man does stunt choreography like a fuckin cartoon and itā€™s great

3 Likes

not sakamoto but in the same spirit of the style still love this fight from lupinranger not even morphed just whippin ass on a sunday morning kids show

3 Likes

Dang, these are all definitely ā€œat least above averageā€.

1 Like

on the subject of unmorphed fight scenes, ever since gokaiger iā€™ve wanted to see (or make, if i ever win the euromillions) a series or movie focussing on petticoats gunplay, as demonstrated by ahim de famille

seems like the dino rangers team up in the dino charge part of the multiverse would have been better on the next show which is also dino themed but i guess itā€™s possible they didnā€™t know.

this was a weird little trilogy of episodes, first a dino charge crossover where there were like four dino charge guys and the other two DC actors who were too busy to go to new zealandā€¦ well their characters stayed in their suits the whole time but they still actually did the voice. (not as bad as the RPM/samurai one where it was like ā€œi have to stay in my suit the whole time because of the air in this dimensionā€ or something).

then the second part of this was a clip show where the monsters were deciding which villains to revive from the past by functionally watching old eps of power rangers. but weirdly maybe because between disney/saban/habro one version of the show is union or non union or whatever even characters like zedd and rita had totally different voice actors and they had to stretch out the SD footage to match hahaha

the third one was the team up in the video above where everyone went to dino charge world and the morphin grid made a new power coin(?). i can never tell who does or doesnā€™t have a power coin i think they all do especially adam who has popped up in multiple crossovers. i guess the original rangers were theoretically supposed to be the ORIGINAL rangers although only austin st. john was there and man i love seeing his stuntman ass non acting compared to the more polished people on the modern shows

i usually only watch the first/last/and crossover ep of power rangers now but it sent me down the rabbit hole of the real play tabletop rpg show Power Rangers Hyperfoce featuring christina vee and the actor who played bulk (not as bulk) playing rangers? and the characters from thisā€¦podcast(?) are in the comics and 100% canon to the games and everything else? i guess they are like past the time force era in the future with Alpha 55 or something? theyā€™re just improving an extra showā€¦so weird. like the shadows of the empire of PR or something

4 Likes

shin ultraman teaserā€™s out

2 Likes