The Renga Game

I previously shared an idea for a poetry game here. @spinnylights suggested that we play over the PM system and you know what? Let’s do it.

Here’s how

1. If you want to play, simply post one theme idea in this thread. I will add your username to my metaphorical hat. Your theme idea is not guaranteed to be what you write about.

2. On 2024-05-01T04:00:00Z, I will draw names from the hat and assign everyone a theme through PMs. These assignments will be random.

3. Once you have an assignment, write a haiku inspired by it. Do not share this haiku publicly. We will reveal all at the end.

4. On 2024-05-08T04:00:00Z, I will randomly assign participants to someone else who will receive their poem. The person you send the haiku to is not the same as the person who will send you their haiku.

5. Once you have received a haiku, continue the poem with two 7-syllable lines.

6. On 2024-05-15T04:00:00Z, I will repeat step 4. Now you will send the 5-line poem to a third person.

7. Once you receive the 5-line poem, write a haiku to cap it off. The end result should be an 8 line poem with contributions from three separate writers. Now you can share it in the thread.

After we play the first game, I’ll start planning a second one. I’m going to change the rules every time, so suggestions are welcome!

8 Likes

Sounds like fun!

My theme suggestion is killing time at the train station

3 Likes

Yaaaaaay :smiley_cat: my theme idea is wisteria.

3 Likes

my theme is explosive diarrhea

2 Likes

Being exasperated by online discourse

4 Likes

3 Likes

My theme is a miserable spring evening

3 Likes

Crustaceans

2 Likes

prey animal

2 Likes

gasoline

1 Like

mold

1 Like

my theme is soda

1 Like

getting a tummy ache from eating too much

2 Likes

goblins

2 Likes

vertical

1 Like

I will be assigning themes over PMs today. Keep a lookout for yours!

When you write your haiku, keep it secret! I’ll tell you who to send it to later.

2 Likes

How long do we have to write our initial Haiku, until the 8th?

Yes, although if people want to move on sooner, we can talk about pushing the date up.