The Playstation Vita is More Than 10 Years Old

hmm, good question, I haven’t really done much swapping at all (I only have the one card), and this started happening weeks and weeks after the last time I did so, so this seems like an electronic failure rather than a physical one

any good?

I think so! I’m only a few hours in, though.

I could gush to Tim levels about FF6, but it’s a breeze. Hold B and everything dies. Not this!

The battles are taut; it’s tricky, but so far, it’s fair. That might change once I make it to all the bananas stuff!

It’s been 10 years since my last play-through, and it’s a really neat change of pace.

To stay on topic, it runs well on the Retroarch SNES9X 2005 (non-plus) core, with the auto frame-skip on. No critical issues yet!

3 Likes

i got a beautiful aqua blue vita 2000 off ebay from japan, it came in this morning

wow, this is most luxurious feeling handheld ever made, isn’t it?

i decided to go with a vita over an anbernic (they were about the same price) because i actually am really excited to dig deeper into the vita library, as well as playing PSP stuff on this thing

my previous handheld gaming solution was an unmodded game boy color, which is divine under the right circumstances, but needing to always have an overhead light to play games is just not ideal!

12 Likes

I’m really sad that the senko no ronde game for this never happened.

6 Likes

luxurious is the exact word to describe the vita. it looks and feels like the kind of handheld that could only be sold in some nightmarish mall/theme park in dubai or something

4 Likes

(unofficial) vita support never dies

list of android ports/candidates: https://android.rinnegatamante.it/
list of game maker studio ports/candidates: https://yoyo.rinnegatamante.it/

still getting new hacks and ports in 2023! i love this handheld :smiley:

4 Likes

this is a great list of resources for vita

3 Likes

Thanks for the bump, @meauxdal . I realized that I bought my vita 2 years ago to this day at an estate sale. I still love it. The OLED screen is beautiful to this day. It makes steam deck display look dated, and it’s 12 years old!!

3 Likes

who is
A) going to be at sbcon and
B) has an OLED vita?
i have an OEM Vita case with built-in kickstand, but it doesn’t fit the PCH-2000 model. would like to get it into the hands of someone with a PCH-1000, as it’s a nice little case and i don’t feel like returning it to the ebay seller

2 Likes

vita is such an great platform. i have been really digging into the homebrew stuff, there’s such a great amount of customization you can do. there’s the well-known PSVshell (overclocking plugin) which stabilizes those wobbly framerates common to a large amount of vita games, moonlight for streaming games from your PC, a mess of RetroArch cores, coverflow launchers to avoid the Vita’s frankly horrible “bubble” UI, homebrew ports like Sonic Mania, GTA: San Adreas, and Super Mario 64…

and it plays the entire PSP library flawlessly. the PSP library is incredible! you can even use enhancements not available on a real PSP, like second analog enablers and more

i love it so much lol

14 Likes

You can also play fallout 1 and 2 if I am not mistaken

1 Like

I used my vita again after 2 yrs and despite sony’s best attempts they have been unable to un homebrew my shit!!! its still an awesome way to play jrpgs!

4 Likes

Well it’s a plus that it also plays PSX games perfectly, even those with fan made translations

1 Like

i just got an oled model, so now i have two

3 Likes

this thing is real good

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KSRS7N4

2 Likes

request to rename this thread to “vita means life”

also, WipEout just got a new sourceport to Vita :open_mouth:

https://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/1116

there’s a “CRT filter”

apparently runs at 60 FPS, too :open_mouth:

12 Likes

just jumping in to say my steam deck screen is so shit compared to the vita 1000 even tho it’s like 10 years newer. I hope we get an OLED drop-in replacement for it some day.

5 Likes

This is one of the few sites on the internet still visible on Vita

22 Likes

holy shit

3 Likes