THE PLAYSTATION 1 SOCIETY

I played and beat AKUJI THE HEARTLESS (about 13-15 hours, estimate—7:30 on the save file + many, many game overs) and I think it’s now one of my favorite PS1 games.

it’s funny how much Mario there is in it, despite it being a super serious blood soaked 3D game, there’s still a part where you have to traverse a series of pipes to progress. hellpipes. many floating and moving blocks and switches. the levels, especially the later ones, are remarkable spaces to traverse… one level felt like an Escher painting it was so involuted, wrapping in on itself endlessly.

The ending to the story is bizarrely anticlimactic—about a 15 second FMV of Akuji reuniting with his wife, where Akuji’s pecs are almost as big and prominent as his wife’s breasts. they both touch each other suggestively. and then the credits. it was weird. I don’t care though, I had a great time.

Raziel was totally right about the soundtrack too. really unique sounds that remind me of the hypnagogic percussive ritual trance stuff a friend of mine makes.

5 Likes