The Official "Is Something Broken?" Thread

jello blood chicken sliders

3 Likes

Has it ever been figured out why older images hosted here eventually seem to randomly break? Can’t figure out if there’s a set pattern to it.

Fonts different

Interconnected question: is the forum still sending out digest emails with axe posts and such? Does anyone actually think the digest emails are good?

Would a banned user get these emails? Would a banned user get emails from a thread they made (or split to be the first poster?) Would a banned user still get dms as emails?

I know this is incredibly minor use case but it has passed my mind.

i keep getting weird horizontal scroll bars stuck midscreen on mobile, maybe an overflow rule got messed up by the discourse update? not really impacting how anything works other than making it hard to click wherever the scroll is (and the page scrolling right when there’s nothing overflowing the container) tho

I’ll look at the mobile CSS to see if it’s not hiding the overflow like it’s supposed to. What phone are you using? I haven’t been able to recreate this issue on my end with my phone, so I’ll have to use one of those sites that emulates a device in your browser (the one built into my browser is trash, before anyone suggests that).

iphone se first gen (i recognize like 3 people still use these so if it’s not worth the trouble to fix i totally get it)

also it doesn’t show up until i scroll a bit

1 Like

Same phone, the horizontal scroll only happens on the category page for me, and it’s because the Axe section’s thread count/unread posts column is centered at a different point than the other sections. I think that’s just because the section name is longer. Putting it at 85% magnification “fixes” it. My scroll only shows up at the bottom though, so I wasn’t able to replicate it exactly.

I’ve been seeing some weird squash and stretch effect being applied to video embeds while scrolling on mobile. It’s like the video doesn’t scroll out of view, it just gets squashed at the top or bottom of the frame unti it disappears

views and activity columns seem switched in the forum list of topics? tho that’s probably ancient & I just never noticed

They’re not switched, they’re out of alignment with their headers. It’s always been like that.

oh, there’s no column for the category in the header. it just goes Topic, Poster, Replies, Views, Activity & is missing Category between the first two.

huh

A couple times over the past week or so my uploaded images have ended up getting screwed up when the site does its “save the image to its own server” thing. It happened in these two places:

and

https://selectbutton.net/t/crush-thread/10787/280

Both of them were screencaps I uploaded to imgur and cropped on that site before pasting the link here, and when I posted them here they were initially fine but when I revisit later they ended up with the image basically shifted down and right with much of the image being cut off and white bars taking up much of the space.

I feel like I’ve stumbled into a thread on Discourse where somebody was having this problem but I can’t find it again. I’ve never seen this happen with images uploaded directly, so you can avoid this issue by doing that for now until the issue is resolved (most likely by a Discourse update).

1 Like

Hey!

Loonng time lurker, logged in last week and the axe has disappeared for me. Did it get removed?

nope, we just made some changes so that it would only appear for folks who had received a “trust level 2” promotion which is typically assigned automatically after people have done something other than lurk. I’ve been approving people manually as I suspected there would be a few shut out by this – you should be fine now.

Ah awesome, thank you!

On my end at least, it looks like hitting enter no longer creates a line break between chunks of text. Doesn’t work for my created posts, or, it seems, for the posts of others.

15 kb upload limit on pictures seems a bit… lower than I remember.