The News Grandmaster 4000

4 Likes

new Doom has now been ported to Mac, in one of the more roundabout ways imaginable

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wine-macOS-Vulkan-MoltenVK

1 Like

Gita Jackson interviews some Chapos

Texas himself wants to play Fallout: New Vegas, but roleplaying as Jeb Bush.

1 Like

I found that piece extremely annoying which is another good reminder that I don’t really want to be a part of the current cultural zeitgeist

Also, Amber quasi-praising Mao’s state-mandated cultural canon on Thursday’s episode is one of their dumbest and most embarrassing “authoritarianism is cool” moments in months (I know this because I listen to and like the show).

3 Likes
8 Likes

Have I complained about how hard AI is to debug?

We were lucky enough to have a dedicated AI engineer from a middleware startup in Galak-Z and he was very good, but 2 weeks of every month something we did or he did would absolutely break something and the beautiful squad formation and hunting would just be irrevocably borked.

Worse are the bugs that subtly degrade it – some behavior designed for a specific situation stops working but how often do you notice that situation anyway? And we would go months before digging and hitting that pipe.

I generally get the feeling on my large projects of a house rotting beneath the floorboards; you’re torn between wanting to leave in the reasonable domestic space as though nothing is wrong or start ripping everything up. AI is more than anything that insidious rot.

Anyway, I sympathize

11 Likes

How do tankies actually swerve past the Cultural Revolution actually

Don’t ask Sartre

My guess is this is a debug build vs release build situation. Everybody with a clear idea of how the AI was supposed to work was using a non-typoed .ini that also added in an AI debugging HUD, and only the test farm was using the release build

1 Like

And was long gone by the time the game released, or moved on to other projects.

5 Likes

did any of the japanese reading folks play this on vita?

1 Like

8 Likes

incredibly important gaming news the buttons on rps are on the right side now

5 Likes

just torrenting everything will never stop being the only right move

there are still so comparably few people in positions of actual power that have had to stop and consider their politics in any meaningful way

4 Likes

For anyone interested, there is a sorta physical edition getting released on the Zachtronics site that comes with the two zines printed already, 3d glasses, and a secret envelope of stuff for like 15 bucks more than the price of the game. Still just a Steam key for the game, which is normally going to be 20 bucks.