The Most Melancholy Video Game Music

Best track in the game

2 Likes

surprised this hasnā€™t come up yet. MM3ā€™s soundtrack in general is weirdly dark

8 Likes

King Crimsonā€™s greatest achievement.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Like 50% of the illusion of gaia ost is melancholy to me but these are the most

5 Likes

Perfect theme for a broken relationship. The Sega CD version is also completely different than all the other versions.

5 Likes

Thereā€™s something about sad end credit music, its like, youā€™ve spent all this time together but now thatā€™s it, itā€™s over. Thereā€™s no more.
Especially made me sad when I was a kid.

6 Likes
8 Likes

press blood potion to pay respects

4 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

For a song that has such an upbeat tempo and such a silly vocal track somehow this one sort of always made me feel a little blue

6 Likes

Did no one post this yet because itā€™s just too obvious? Iā€™ve never been accused of subtlety

11 Likes

This game is so melancholy as a whole. A dead planet infested with monsters is going to crash into your own planet, find records left by the deceased to discover the self destruct mechanism before its too late. Love this game.

3 Likes

Upfront disclaimer: You asked for it!

Next one iā€™d have considered to be a most-obvious-contender, so a bit surprised it wasnā€™t posted yet:

plus a few more that may not be brought up often, but who knows that for sure, so here goes nothing:

(Yeah, other low hanging fruits in FFX Ost up for grabs, i just found that track having sth that made it stand out as melancholic, but ymmv)

3 Likes
9 Likes
8 Likes

feel thereā€™s something melancholy about most of the sonic 1 ost

5 Likes

whatever that electric piano-ish instrument sting is in the above always put me in mind of the end of

so i liked when that bit looped round again

6 Likes

I like how depressing this sounds wandering around the empty wastes on your own, and then when you have a full party it changes into really upbeat save-the-world music:

Most of the music in this game feels kinda sad honestly

5 Likes