the most deserving playstation 3 games

Actually, Clash of the Titans isn’t even a PS3 exclusive. It’s made by Game Republic though, so it’s probably better on PS3 (and probably still bad). Same with Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom (which always intrigued me until I saw a youtube of it).

Anyway, here’s some more PS3 exclusives that I haven’t seen mentioned:

• Metal Gear Solid 4
    mgs4
  • Toro Let’s Party
    toro_mochi
    They are both good imo.

You could also do worse than get a Move controller and Time Crisis Razing Storm, but the Time Crisis 4 included lacks the curious FPS mode of the original standalone release, so maybe be me and keep looking for a good deal on a GunCon 3 on ebay instead.

Oh and Disney Epic Mickey 2 supports the move controller, which makes it the best controlling HD version. Just wanted to mention, don’t know why, it’s probably still not good.

Also Gal*Gun galgun (oh boy).

I mean, if you feel like an enormous weeb, there’s some Nippon Ichi stuff of questionable(?) merit:

• The Awakaned Fate Ultimatum
  • The Guided Fate Paradox
  • Disgaea D2
  • Disgaea 3 and 4 (also on Vita)
  • Witch and the Hundred Knight (also on PS4)

And some non-Nippon Ichi stuff that I rather enjoyed:

• Valkyria Chronicles (also on PS4)
  • Deception IV (also on PS4 and Vita)
  • Tears to Tiara II

And some non-Nippon Ichi stuff that I would like to erase from my memory:

• Record of Agarest War 0/1/2 (also on PC)
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia + Mk2 (also on Vita but different)
  • Cross Edge (this has Morrigan in it but don’t be fooled)
    crossedge

Oh yeah, I wanted to make a PSN thread, but I might as well just jam the draft into this post why not:

The PS3 PSN library is …

Still online. Most of it?

I am checking it out right now in the year twenty-nineteen because I want to. Here’s a report on my game experience:

Elemental Monster Online Card Game

elementalmocg
Good-old piracy-advocating me spent 25$ on booster packs for a nine year old Online CCG (not gonna call it a TCG because I don’t even know if you can trade with other players) by Hudson Soft that has a player-base of one person (me included). Why? Because it has a single player mode (that for some reason requires online (for card-syncing anti-cheating purposes I assume)).

Anyway, I love it and I regret not a thing. I have no idea if it is a good card game in the context of card games, but I will call it the best video game card game that I have played so far. The cards are big and beautiful, the mechanics are simple to grasp but provide enough variations to make me ponder deck-building and executing tactics in bed at night. The single player is breezy no-nonsense battling with stage progression that had me glued to the screen for a couple days straight.

All in all, I got 25 hours of card-battling and collecting pleasure out of this. And the game itself actually only costs 1$. Or 99 cents to be precise. Or 1.07$ including taxes if you don’t live in the states like moi. Because you don’t really need the booster packs to beat the single player. I mean, I needed it for the last two extra stages, but that’s because I am bad at this.

If anyone has a dollar to spare and wants to win at online card battle, just shoot me a message or something.

Clan of Champions (aka Gladiator VS)

The third game in a series(?) of games by the Way of the Samurai devs Aquire is a pretty bare-bone third person arena fighting game I thought at first. But there’s loads of skills and loot and the selectable missions and difficulty make me feel like I’m playing an EDF game. Grinding early missions on hard has me hooked a bit. Numbers going up. I have no excuse. Though I do believe that mashing other gladiators until they lose their gear so that I can pick up their gear and use it against them is a reasonably good waste of my time.

The multiplayer is barren of course and I don’t even know if it’s still functional at all, but this game does work offline and that’s good enough for me. Oh and it’s also 0.99$ only. (Also on PC for some reason.)

Yakuza 5

yak5taxi
This was my first Yakuza game (that was a lie, I enjoyed Dead Souls beforehand) and I think I picked the right one to start. It has so much to give. All the characters and settings and “gameplays”. Normally I would scoff at this and blame the devs for being unfocused. But somehow that kitchen sink approach doesn’t bother me here. It’s almost like a theme park (in which you get randomly assaulted). I planned to call it quits after Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Taxi Edition (actually plays more like OutRun2), but then I found myself enjoying being an idol even more. Fuck me, I wanna play a standalone Haruka game. (Hatsune Miku lacks the sim aspect integral to my enjoyment and it makes my fingers hurt.)

House of the Dead 4

hotd4
I had already sold my Move controller when I played this, but painting the screen red with machine guns works rather fine with an analog stick. Confession: I am bad at games and I enjoyed credit-feeding through this more than any of my sad attempts at properly playing HotD2 with a real deal Dreamcast lightgun.

House of the Dead 3

hotdiii
Turns out the inaccuracy of a shotgun also lends itself rather well to the inaccuracy of an analog stick.

Legasista

legasista_msdungeon
legasista_prinny
A roguelike I do like. Looks a lot slicker than the rough pixel exterior of the Cladun games by the same dev imo. (I should give the Sengoku Cladun a spin.)

Battle Princess of Arcadias

battle-princess-7-noscale
This appears to be a less good looking Odin Sphere but then they make you order troops around while you battle and then I got confused.

Invincible Knight

2372586-invincibleknight
invincibleknight
Asian-only endless runner (actually not endless) that feels like a smartphone port complete with purchasable continues. (Actually I don’t know if smartphone arcade games sell continues, but I always assumed they would). I like it. But I have no clue how to be good.

Malicious

MALICIOUS_Cover_Art
This is a very pretty character action game. To bad I hate character action games. There also seems to be a Vita/PS4 sequel/remake.

Dark Mist

darkmist
A roguelike I don’t like. Actually don’t remember much because I bought it like ten years ago together with Tokyo Jungle and Moon Diver and only tried it once and got very bored.

Moon Diver

moondiver_001_thumb
Has two things in common with Secret of Mana: nice artwork and slow spell animations that break the flow of the game and make your co-op partners want to not play co-op with you anymore.

Comet Crash

cc_1596612-959209_111010_005
It’s a tower defense (by a Japanese dev?) but your cursor is a ship which makes it a little bit like Herzog Zwei. Though in single-player mode the CPU doesn’t have a ship, so maybe not. But: single-screen local multiplayer for up to four peeps. And: a (worse looking?) cel-shaded sequel on PS4.

Hoard

hoardmaxresdefault
This is like an action boardgame in which you are dragon and burn villages and kidnap princesses and I love it. The single player mode is basically skirmish like in Advance Wars where you pick one of various maps and go for high scores and that’s good enough for me (I secretly believe the skirmish mode in Advance Wars is better than the campaign anyway.) Or switch the CPU dragon for up to four human beings in the local co-op and versus modes. Some day I will have friends. I think this is on PC too (and PSP without the multiplayer).

Pinballistik

pinballistik-1-600x337
Just a pinball but there’s 2-player versus tables.

Digger HD

This is a remake of a Boulder Dash clone that is too easy (unless you play for score, which I don’t). I like it more than Boulder Dash, because you can just shoot enemies instead of having to hammer the button to blow them up.

Elevator Action Deluxe

528105-elevator-action-deluxe-additional-stages-1-playstation-3-front-cover
evad38650_small
I don’t hate this? This is no Elevator Action Returns but what is? The addon stages get real expensive though and there’s a 4-player multi mode I dream of trying.

Catan

catandims
It’s Catan! Made by Game Republic. Might have already been delisted as I tried to buy but failed to.

GTI Club + Rally Cote D’Azur

gtismall
Already delisted Konami arcade racing, probably much better than the consolized Wii version. The advanced circuit turns into a labyrinthine mess and I have no idea how to navigate it, but I can see the appeal.

Toy Home

toyhome
This looked really good until I figured out that it uses six-axis steering.

19 Likes