The Moon Fields * Combat Junior IIIrd Smash

goin hard on dem spheres

1 Like

kill whitey

1 Like

So weā€™re working on a few things. Weā€™re pushing for more area control. That means traps and more projectiles.

Second attempt at oil bombs. I have no idea how to make sludge/slimey stuff. Any help?

Looking a liiiittle better. Still not happy with the overhang on upper ledges. I donā€™t know exactly what to do about that, tho.

And now oil fires

This is lookinā€™ good!

1 Like

Flames of oil look good, and spread wellā€¦

Thanks for playing @Bee. Iā€™m looking through your notes right now.

Just a way to organize my thoughts regarding the game balance:

Moonblade - need to up the stun for all 3 hits and make this thing slower to spam

Kings Sword - is working as intended. Someone suggested a ā€œchargeā€ attack which would be much different than the current Smash Bros. style attack differentiations, but it would be very very Zelda-y to charge and spin

Polled Hatchet/TreeCutter - all ā€œswipeā€ style attacks I think I should add a way to swipe in the opposite direction (e.g. push is a counter clockwise attack while a new neutral could be a clockwise attack). The subtle difference would be mostly to negotiate around shields better

Shields - the Tomb Shield is way strong, but I think I might push its negative to be hugely negative and not let you walk at all. I also think that the collision boxes on shields are too big.

Bomb - itā€™s working pretty much as intended.

Turpentine - I want oil weapons to be useful without fire tools, but itā€™s not seeming like this is worth it without the Polled Hatchet or a Scaletooth or any other reliable source of fire

Bendhammer / Iron Lance- I donā€™t think these are as useful as they used to beā€¦ butā€¦ Maybe I just need more stun on these guys

Caltrops - they control space pretty well. Theyā€™re hard to see which might be a problem, but weā€™ll see how that goes

Trident - pretty happy with this guy. I think once I buff the stun for the other weapons this will seem less ā€œOPā€. Essentially I want all weapons to feel as OP as this one. I like to reward aggressive play, I guess.

World Mace - not as exciting as it was in the original CJr. I think other weapons are just more exciting? Screen shake looks cool when two people are spamming it, though. A homerun bat style Smash Attack might get put in, though.

Crossbow - not as exciting to use as the bow. Might bump up the damage and/or make it attack faster. Unsure. Will have to play test more to see.

EagleEye - for some reason this isnā€™t as useful as it used to be. I am thinking of attaching a weak/slow melee attack to it so EagleEye + Projectile is a legitimate strategy.

JumpBoot - sneaker dash plus jump boot might be OP. I also think it looks hilarious. Weā€™llā€¦ have to seeā€¦

And thatā€™s a wrap! See you next time.

edit: @Bee what did you mean by adding more MOBA type elements? i donā€™t moba muchā€¦ should i? what are MOBAs that are, like, goodā€¦ haha

RE sludge/slimey stuff take a look in the asset store

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/64440 (oh, this used to be free)

(If you just make the shinyness of what you have a bit harsher it seems fine though?)

2 Likes

Arenas implemented that are flat and might need adjustments now that we have 3D movement:

Temple
Sun Prarie
Dungeon

Big Gate
Zelda 1 Level 1 Entrance

Arenas ideas that are not flat and mihgt need adjustments because 3D is tricksy and also we probably havenā€™t made these yet:

River Canyon with bridge
Training Grounds
Sky Diving

1 Like

So some guys on another forum asked if I was colorblind. Then I made this big long response regarding my weird colors and lighting:

Alright, I totally get you guys asking if Iā€™m colorblind. No Iā€™m not, though. I guess Iā€™m overreaching because the lighting system is more complicated than it needs to be now. Iā€™m trying to get weird edge cases for whatā€™s acceptable for lighting my scenes. There are two things that affect lighting in our scenes. First is an ambient light source affected by RenderSettings.ambientLight. I guess this is an HDR light? Iā€™m unsure. It takes in values greater than (1,1,1) for what I understand are light calculations, and at least on my monitor it clamps the color between (0,0,0) and (1,1,1). The second light source is going to be a directional light that I use a normal Unity directional light. Both have a base color that is affected by an intensity value. This grid of images is ambient lighting intensity of 1 to 0 on the vertical and directional lighting intensity of 1 to 0 on the horizontal.

(more detailed image http://i.imgur.com/hwSvdzv.png)

These are my light settings. For the fighting game portion of our game we are going to look for 1) lighting that is playable and 2) lighting that is exciting and dramatic and envokes a mood that fits that scene.

The reason Iā€™m doing this complicated lighting system is because we want to make a single player adventure mode like the original Zelda with 1) weather effects and 2) day/night cycles. I am pretty sure Iā€™m going to need to have a range of ambient colors, direct colors, and varying intensities to make this stuff work. The one thing Iā€™m excited about are the edge cases where player lighting helps a lot. This is that absolutely black corner image with a very hastily mocked up light source on a player:

lighting is gross and even with HDR way too easy to blow out, it happens (with frustrating frequency) even in AAA that someone changes something and a levelā€™s lighting is completely dark or blown out.

Just keep tweaking until it looks good; Iā€™m fond of your mint/pink palette that looks like some of the odder nooks in the NES.

Iā€™d do most of your lighting tweaking with the directional light; the ambient light is so influential and kind of obnoxious to predict that I prefer to use it to set the harshness and color of shadows, and leave the d-light to set ā€˜daylightā€™ color.

1 Like

Also, it can be very useful to have a secondary directional light pointing in the opposite direction to influence shaded areas, if youā€™re unable to accomplish what you want with ambient light. Be mindful of performance, though

1 Like

Yeah thanks for confirming my suspicions on this.

I think thereā€™s a lighting space where things are playable enough (80% playable? the paritoā€™s law of playableness?) and weā€™ll probably call that normal daylight.

Part of me also wants the extremes of it being too bright or dark or washed out or whatever to be ā€œrandom daysā€ during the day/night weather cycle. The washed out colors where thereā€™s more ambient light than daylight seem annoying to play in the way that it would be annoying to swordfight in the rain? It would also incentivize having your own personal lightsource and everyone could find their own personal favorite ā€œlightsourceā€ so I could have a lot of them.

I dunno, weā€™re still tweaking htis. I am definitely going to follow your route and have mostly direct light in the fighting game portion of this game, though. The shadows help make this very, very clear and Iā€™m really happy about that.

Ok, so we had a system before where we had points and turkeys and other shit before we determined a ā€œmatch winnerā€. Shit got weird and complicated and my coder wnated to make it easier, so weā€™re going to break it down in a way much more similar to real world Tennis. Hilariously real world tennis scoring isnā€™t as simple as I remembered, but I think thatā€™s because itā€™s just trying to be obtuse from the outside. So this post is me working out how to make our game work in the same pacing as that game and hopefully itā€™ll make sense to at least me and maybe yaā€™ll.

Weā€™re going to have ROUNDS, HEATS, and MATCHES.

To win a ROUND you have to have eliminated all competing players. If it is a FREE FOR ALL that means you are the last player standing. And if it is a DOUBLES game then that means both of your opponents are eliminated.

To win a HEAT you have to win a predetermined number of ROUNDS. By default the number of ROUNDS to win a HEAT is 2. If it is possible for a team or player to win the HEAT in the next ROUND then it will be announced HEAT POINT X where X is the team or player that could win the HEAT.

By default the game will be set to WIN HEAT BY 2 so that the winning player has to win both the predetermined ROUNDS and ALSO be ahead of the other players by AT LEAST 2 points. To simplify this in situations of 3 or more parties only the winningmost party AND the second winningmost party will be spawned into the HEAT POINT matches leaving 3rd and/or 4th place time to sit and contemplate better strategies until this is resolved. 3rd and 4trh place will balso be encouraged to root for 3rd place because then they will be able to ā€œget back into the gameā€.

And to win a MATCH you have to win a predetermined number of HEATS. By default the number of HEATS to win a MATCH is 2. If it is possible for a team or player to win the MATCH in the next ROUND then it will override the HEAT POINT X announcement for MATCH POINT X where X is the team or player that could win the MATCH.

This forgoes a lot of interesting detail where there are TIEBREAKER SETS and ADVANTAGE SETS. Wimbledon has a pacing strategy where the first sets are all TIEBREAKER (e.g. quickly finished with a completely differently scored game) and the final set is an ADVANTAGE which can go forever - an interesting war endurance. I think we actually only model ROUNDS/HEATS/MATCH to POINTS/GAMES/SET and forgo an entire tier, but I donā€™t think I can make 30 minute Combat Jr matches to be a thingā€¦ yetā€¦

As a way to maybe get the pacing for TIEBREAKER vs ADVANTAGE sets from Wimbledon, I might add an option so that itā€™s not a boolean ā€œWIN HEAT BY 2ā€ but itā€™d have 3 options: WIN BY POINTS, WIN BY 2, ā€œFINAL HEAT WIN BY 2ā€. Essentially the WIN BY 2 is a way to force ADVANTAGE SETS in while TIEBREAKER is discrete. So if FINAL HEAT WIN BY 2 is selected that means that the first few HEATS everyone can win fast, but the final game breaker heat HAS to be won by 2 ROUNDS to slow down whoever is in first place.