the matrix comes of age

==

2 Likes

I just want to find the glitched out haunted house from that one short and go Instagram the shit out of it tbh

4 Likes

Thats my fav short. Directed by koji morimoto iirc

It just feels and looks so interesting. It is interesting to read it as an inverted intrusive fantasy: the matrix is a secondary world and the glitched out house is an intrusion of reality into the fantasy world. Characters enjoy the strangeness of it until the intrusion is removed by the machines. Intrusive fantasies/horror stories tend to have very conservative underpinnings because they are about the importance of maintaining the status quo and resisting change. That short is one of the rare instances of the exact opposite happening.

2 Likes

But isn’t the status quo in this case mantaining the illusion that the matrix is the base reality of the kids?

From the perspective of the inhabitants of the Matrix, the glitches are the “change”, they don’t follow the rules of the rest of the simulation properly

Yes, but normally the restoration of the status quo is seen as a “happy ending”. Thats the reversal here, in that short theres absolutely nothing positive about how the story ends. Also, we as viewers already know that the world the short presents is a secondary one so our expectations are for some kind of intrusion from reality in most of the shorts

1 Like

Agreed - because here the intrusion isn’t a basis for horror, but wonder. When it is erased, joy is removed from the world.

It was inevitable:

Fucking

Just

Why

1 Like

went looking for this thread to post that

i mean i love michael b jordan as much as the next guy but something tells me this will not end well

smells like terminator salvation to me

also it’s going to be very sad if this is made before bill n ted 3

if you all had watched the third movie you’d know that rebooting the matrix was the whole point

4 Likes

I think it could be done well.

I mean, it won’t.

But it could be.

it’s going to be rebooted into the movie mra’s think it already was

5 Likes

Maybe it’ll be super trans this time

8 Likes

My reaction exactly

kinda surprised that an unnecessary, probably-bereft remake of this is coming before one of Fight Club.

when’s the boondock saints soft reboot coming

i thought mr robot was already all of these reboots

4 Likes

favourite scene i remember in originals is where neo’s fallen asleep at his computer at like 4am in the middle of some interminable chatroom conversation and soft dreampop plays as we see his room filled with cd jewelcases and old pizza boxes, maybe it’s too crudely biographical an explanation but i sort of prefer to think of those movies less as a purely internally coherent mythos than as, like, a film series extrapolated backwards from late night browser daydreams, that same ambivalence towards technology (source of new forms of expression / corporate energy vampire) and tendencies towards internationalism, conspiracy theory, genre mashup as well of course as all that techno. i really doubt it’s anything like the case but it’s interesting to think about what a version of that fictionalized internet would be today, maybe lacking that sense of mixed desire and wariness? like those marvel movie action setpieces where all the characters keep making bored quips as if they’re extremely tired of the power fantasies they’re still locked into acting out? or what would the real world look like. it’s harder for me to imagine a movie getting excited about it whatever it is. harder to imagine all those rogue legacy programs too. well, best of luck to neo and his friends. ganbare, neo!

12 Likes

somehow it’s even worse than a reboot they’re just making more of em