THE GOOD OL DAYS OF GAMES JOURNALISM

the complete disrespect of spritework in the post-16-bit era is total bullshit.

stella deus is a another game that has some really nice spritework (they remind me of the Persona 2 sprites, but bigger) that was never really acknowledged by too many people. The art is also really good. man, i need to get back to stella deus. that game is pretty wicked. another plus for stella deus is it has pretty much the only Hitoshi Sakimoto soundtrack I really enjoy (+Masahiru Iwata).

5 Likes

i guarantee you that didnt even cross their mind. they have this weird thing against 2d games on xplay, like even if its a fucking GBA game, where sessler will get incredibly indignant that a game isnt 3d for no reason and talk about how ugly it is. its that weird mindset EVERYTHING had about games back when graphical updates were really noticeable that you really only see in people who dont follow videogames now

2 Likes

i dont even play disgaea but its so blatant that sessler is being a cokehead moron about the spritework that its funny lol

1 Like

if you’re a fuckin “professional video game reviewer”, and you have a fucking big hang up over the graphics, then you’re not a reviewer i would ever listen to or whose opinions i would give any weight to. at all.

i’ll admit, if a game is fucking ugly, i won’t bother. but that’s more in the realm of aesthetics, if the art direction is bad, then i don’t want to stare at it for several hours.

3 Likes

yea like theres plenty of games where they are “ugly” but the art style is good…a lot of ps1 games are like that. i think kings field is ugly as fuck but i love the aesthetic style of the whole thing. xplay is really funny because its really obvious they just have the interns play the games and then dont actually review the games at all, just play footage (sometimes of the fucking attract mode lol) and sessler rambles over it for like 30 seconds. the graphics are the most obvious thing so thats what they always talk about

I was in Long Beach during TED in like 2011 and the only celebrity I ran into on the street was morgan webb

briefly gave her an unfortunate glance of recognition and then neither of us said anything

6 Likes

i used to love xplay and adam sessler so much. i immediately lost all respect for him and simultaneously lost all earthly innocence when he vigorously trumpeted binfinite as the greatest VideoGame ever conceived

i mean… true… but also why must you wound me like this

1 Like

my favorite thing about x-play was how much they hated nintendo

mid 00s sessler is the closest we will get to zizek game reviews

4 Likes
3 Likes

american you are my favorite poster on this site

7 Likes

daphny and i are watching this again so get ready for more xplay discourse!!

That comedian Guy Branum was a writer on this makes me want to watch it. In his memoir he said Adam and Morgan were both great.

1 Like

i was hanging out with seanbaby (someone had introduced us, ONCE AGAIN SOMEONE KNEW WHO I WAS ON THE INTERNET) at a day of the devs and adam sessler came up to us. hes a lot shorter and balder in the fleshzone so i thought he was some weirdo and i had to be gently corrected after being rude to him

he was really nice after i was just like WHO IS THIS OLD MAN CREEPING BEHIND MY CONVERSATION

2 Likes

click the link and watch along!

every fucking game on x play gets a 3 out of 5

1 Like

Fuck I just had to watch an ad for Napoleon Dynamite, goddammit.

6 Likes

3 Likes

The only 1/5 I recall xplay giving was for an xbox game called Stake. At the end of the review they pretended to eat the game, box and all.

Really, that’s the only review I can recall in any detail at this point.

1 Like

are they back to the kojima interview already??

so they have ~30 hours of video they’re looping it seems

fyi the twitch stream loops footage so once youve seen it all you have to wait for the guy to change it again