the framerate line: get on a side

yeah I went from playing a lot of stuff in the mid-40s on my last computer to ~100fps with gsync on my current one and it’s nice but honestly I could probably go back nbd

framerate bores are awful. possibly only second only to those who think that hd/4k is anything more than the emperor’s new clothes.

2 Likes

bad LCD scaling is much, much, much worse than bad frametiming, also

I can’t handle the smear

5 Likes

I meant like swimming around the mid-40s will be a lot more pleasant with adaptive sync.

Has been on my to-do list to try an adaptive sync system seems cool
Don’t think I’ve ever knowingly consumed 100/120FPS footage

There’s a respectable distinction on the difference between 30 and 60 fps, just like 128-192 and 320 kbps.

Beyond that you’re stepping into fathomable still almost always excessive territory, for fps it’s a system max potential or peen measuring thing thing but can tie into response time or certain twitchy glitch use.

I’m down with the strata above mp3s in flac and other formats, though hearing that really only matters with the right output speakers and such.

EDIT: Oh I couldn’t see the entire discussion until now. Well, thats my syrup.

2 Likes

Imagine not being able to enjoy anything unless it was juuuuuuuuuuuuust right

then imagine thinking that had value

8 Likes

There are definitely some things I can only enjoy under optimal conditions but

An exhausting irritating point to reach, for sure.

Ignoring that there’s a spectrum which could be recognized would be worse.

are there any games that have a bad/inconsistent frame rate on purpose

1 Like

god but that would be an aesthetic, wouldn’t it?

Bangai-O Spirits just straight up ignores the limitations of the DS so the framerate slows to a crawl, which is actually awesome and makes me feel like a superhero, but i don’t know if that counts as “On Purpose”

7 Likes

Ikaruga after defeating a boss
Probably other shmups

An 1FPS horror game in a night club would probably be pretty effective (and maybe unbearable after more than 5 minutes)

4 Likes

PS2 games with higher fps through remasters/emulation often show something I don’t really think there’s any method to counteract, it sometimes argues for me keeping them closer to native.

Anything where they put effort into decent-good facial animation (especially mouth movement to dialogue), it was all originally timed to their end result PS2 native framerate. So when you play for example Konami’s MGS 2-3 with increased fps, it tends to make those motions a lot more jumpy or chattery. It’d seem very minor but for places like Snake Eater and Silent Hill 3’s detail in those areas, the original work to make it somewhat natural looking and impressive gets a bit lost as it moves ahead of the sound.

yeah PS2 is as hard to recreate faithfully as N64 (the curse of all the tricks needed with those memory-starved RDRAM consoles that were also running like half a generation ahead of common GPU technology) except with even higher fidelity so more people notice it rather than writing it off and making poor @meauxdal tell everyone how great the N64 is

FYI for the people talking about framerates but especially refresh rate tech such as G-sync or Free-sync:

AMD and Nvidia both have improved methods available in your driver options, for regular monitors, too.

For AMD, its called “Enhanced Sync”. Its an improvedment over conventional V-sync, for regular montors. And still nets a significant drop in latency. And “Enhanced Sync” is not only for the newest cards. Here is a screenshot of my driver options, for a 7 year old Radeon HD7870:

There’s basically no reason that you shouldn’t have that turned on all the time. Unless you are doing over 60fps on a regular monitor. Then of course you’d have zero V-sync of any kind.

2 Likes

im thinking of low framerates/inconsistency for non technical reasons even though this is an interesting tangent

the one FPS horror game super sounds like itd be a wild rumpus game

HDR is incredible, and much more impactful than 1080p->4k or even 720p->1080p

3 Likes

Wild Rumpus Hunt the Wumpus in Rave Cave

1 Like

I got my 4K/HDR setup same time as I got God of War last year, and looking at that or big game trailers, amazon video stuff I find differences in resolution. Overall and mostly seen in porous, textured places.

But when it comes to HDR, I see the difference in color but as of yet nothing that demonstrates OH SHIT LOOK AT THAT DEPTH-POP! You happen to know of any example content that could show this off best?

It’s also highly monitor-dependent; the HDR on some of the LCD TVs at work is underwhelming.

Gran Turismo Sport (ironically I’m going to link to a Digital Foundry video here) immediately bumped the cars up to a ‘correct’ presence when I saw it in HDR:

Their lighting is highly accurate to technical measurements, which seems to be important in creating presence instead of a ‘wow shiny’ effect (which is also nice!)

Rise of the Tomb Raider is another immediately noticeable effect, opening with a very impactful sunlight into a dark cave.

In the ‘shinies’ camp, particle effects in high-contrast games like Tetris Effect and Final Fantasy XV are like candy jewels

2 Likes