the end of MegaTen as we know it

YES! though also it makes building (or at least achieving) optimal setups rly satisfying and grinding rly easy if you’re inclined towards either!

I beat matador without too much trouble six months ago (I just happened to have enough force resistant guys and buffs) which is why thor was such a roadblock by comparison

if you have demons you’re no longer using, don’t part with them - use them in a sacrificial fusion: the resulting demon gets +1.5x the experience the sacrifice had on top of their base level, and the game keeps track of this so if later on you sacrifice the demon you made there, all the experience in that ‘line’ will go to whatever you’re fusing later. you can use this if something you’re attached to has started to lag behind in levels later

and yeah definitely do the bonus stuff, instead of the usual ‘postgame’ nocturne has a bonus dungeon you chip away at alongside the main story

& black frost!!!

I just beat the leopard with the sword with no trouble at all, that was a great scene, I love how 90% of the visual design in this game looks like it was composed by wes anderson in hell

right now all the fusions available to me (late 20s) seem to be shitty bird dudes though so I think I’ll wait before shuffling out my team again

it’s nice how relatively quickly you level up though

The level up tune was proper badass. Much like the battle tracks and really the soundtrack in general. Delicious Meguro riffage.

I almost replayed Nocturne again this past fall but went with Apocalpyse instead (still not finished). Last time I finished the compendium…might still have some Burial Chambers to try.

a nocturne hard tde speedrun just started if you want to follow a 14 hour run for any reason: https://www.twitch.tv/pinkpajamas

kabukicho prison is kind of awful

moving at a good clip tho, I bought a weird body-mouth guy from the shady vendor in the first floor of the labyrinth and I killed ghost rider

it strikes me that I got from the start of the game to ikebukuro in 5 hours and I’m already up to 11 having gone basically nowhere since then

also I’ve completely ignored the magic stat on my main character and can’t imagine not doing so

i think I’m going to start nocturne tonight probably

woo

1 Like

are dds1/2 worth playing? press turns and a sphere grid right?

DDS is someting between Nocturne and a traditional PS2 JRPG. You get regular team members, (there’s no demon negociation), and some sort of sphere grid. (though you make a lot more meaningful choices than in DDS) DDS1+2 together are probably shorter than Nocturne alone?
There’s an anime plot with some Crazy Plot Twists in the second game. It may not have held up very well.

Otherwise it’s long ass Megaten dungeon + Amazing Meguro music + a Nocturne look all the way through.

You might think the games are all about cannibalism, but there is also a really strong Hindusim theme all the way through too culminating in a fight against the creator god of Hinduism, obviously
It might be worth it to make a Select Button Thread about it?

I liked the second one better but you have to play the first one first. They’re obviously not as iconic as Nocturne, but worth checking out.

2 Likes

hey i can’t get pcsx2 1.2.1 to run nocturne at a resolution higher than 512x448 no matter what i set my resolution scaling to.

(click for uncropped)

i’ve also tried setting a custom resolution, no dice. it just seems to ignore it? and the titlebar always displays 512x448

what the heck

(@Tulpa?)

the titlebar displays 512x448 for me too and it appears to be several times higher than native (on OpenGL)

also didn’t you just post about not being able to run xcom 2? a 750 ti can totally do it

also agh looking at that window titlebar reminds me how garish windows’ DPI scaling still is

ok yeah it turns out the main menu is just really blurry :x

i have a 1440p monitor and i didn’t want to run below native resolution (upscaling looks really bad on here) or start doing stuff like disabling shadows ;-;

i was getting sub-30 fps on the title screen alone

the game runs like ass in general but just play it in a window? it looks fine at 900p

First off you might want to update pcsx2 to 1.4.0, otherwise I will double check my own settings and let you know what it should be for best results.

i have the same thing with pcsx2 putting 512x448 in the titlebar but it’s definitely higher than native and my screenshots are coming out at 2048x1792 so i just assumed it was a ui quirk, hmm

gonna start out on hard mode, hopefully this isn’t a terrible idea

In nocturne? Maybe not wise, the differences are dumb shit like LESS MONEYS the game is tight as hell on normal.

yeah, doesn’t add anything to the experience

welp i guess i fucked up, i don’t think there’s a way to switch back having started :confused:

kind of a tepid opening aside from the pre-title screen stuff (i’m not sure what the point of the pre-conception shinjuku segment was and so far everything feels weirdly empty? like a 2d or first person dungeon crawler got imported into another engine without any adjustments) but that first battle theme is fucking amazing and the combat feels surprisingly weighty/crunchy for being turn based so that’s pretty cool