the end of MegaTen as we know it

i went back to play p4 from the beginning and

’ Yosuke pounded an enemy! ’

&

’ let’s go out there and catch that asshole

& Yosuke and the others standing in front of the entrance to Kanji’s dungeon

’ i can already feel the sweat rolling down my back ’

golden

To be fair to all JRPGs ever, what is? I would argue that the demi-fiend punch is the greatest attack animation in a a JRPG period. The way they positioned the camera, the speed, and how the enemies react, it all gives the DF punch the most weight and strength of any attack I can remember.

I did like how weighty Cecil’s sword felt when he attacked in Final Fantasy IV. (Something I felt the series never recaptured) Not close to the Demi-Fiend however.

3 Likes

This is actually a plot point and will be addressed if you played an hour more. Unless you passed the plot point and still aren’t a fan of it. In which case, oh well.

Also the cutscenes in Nocturne aren’t prerendered except, if memory serves, the Conception and the endings? DDS has a bunch prerendered though.

DDS2 is a way better game than DDS1 though. Might be worth just jumping to the second one if you’re not feeling the first.

It’s kind of a curse playing Nocturne first because none of the other SMTs afterwards compare. Especially to that godly punch of Demifiend.

Swoon~

i do love the fusion ui in IV though
got through 1.5 episodes of x-files in picture-in-picture mode while backing out of nocturne daisoujou fusions once

My favorite way to play Nocturne was always to build the party around jacking up the Demifiend’s stats while he used Focus and just God Hand-ed everything

1 Like

by last boss do you mean kagutsuchi or lucifer?

i finished nocturne for the third time last week & i struggle to finish most games once
besides the awful ginza underpass dungeon and fusion rng I can’t really fault it

do I just need to grind to beat thor

I’d like to go back to this game but idk

yeah, nocturne really isn’t a grinding game, it’s a party composition game

if you get more turns than the other guy, you win!

so focus on null/reflect elec stuff

use buffs and debuffs (they stack 4x)
and uh, if that fails make a few demons with dark might (guaranteed crit on new moon) which totally breaks the early game

finally beat the jerk, had to go run around old levels and randomly recruit demons until I could fuse a kishin minakata. media + elec immunity did it. looking forward to getting back into the game. it helps that my barely PCSX2-capable tabletnotebook can run it fine.

will I regret fusing my high pixie? she’s starting to lag behind in levels

Matador + Dante + Thor is a brutal trio of boss, afterwards the game gets less difficult.

Always fuse new demons whenever you can, they all get obsolete eventually. The only one worth keeping for long is Daisoujou

I’ve bought Apocalypse but still haven’t even tried it. I want the highest difficulty but it appears as an “unavailable for now” DLC???

dante wasn’t too bad after thor (though if I didn’t have rakukaja it’d have been miserable), glad to hear I’m over a hump

and the worst thing about thor was that I hadn’t had to backtrack at all before that to pick up random fusions because my whole team wound up being weak to electric

There is a cool bonus you can get late in the bonus dungeon for keeping around your Pixie or whatever demon she ended up part of way down the chain: an “Über Pixie” that has 30 in all stats and a really sick skillset. If you intend to do the bonus content – and you should, it owns bones – it’s worth keeping track of the “Pixie bloodline”. Which always occupies the first slot of your demon list unless you dismiss them, so it’s not that hard to do.

High Pixie can also evolve to Queen Mab but that wouldn’t happen unless you kept her around until your demi-fiend was level 50+ lol

You can fuse the pixie and its spawn as many times you want but don’t sacrifice it ever if you want the bonus

got it, thanks! I figured she was special.

damn right she’s special

(i mean, sure, that outfit but more importantly: that amazing coiffure)

1 Like

Felix how did you do against matador?

Also I’m pleased this became a nocturne thread. One time Cboy and I were playing and he had this megateam to fight Pale Rider and it had a bunch of regular Good Demons like Daisoujou doing his Meditation thing infinitely, dudes with Mediarama and Fog Breath etc etc but it eventually dawned on us that we were losing a net 12 mp per round no matter how efficient we were and we were On The Ropes until we switched in a team of all the dogshit demons I was waiting to eventually fuse, including this tengu guy who was like 10 levels weaker than everyone else in the party and Cboy kept saying to get rid of. But then they trounced Pale Rider of course.

Even your bad demons are really really good.

6 Likes

yeah what’s great about nocturne is that, at its core, it’s a game about Making Do With What You Got. there’s optimal setups but you’re so unlikely to have any of them and it’s not really designed to handle those to begin with.

you are going to have things go bad, you are going to have poor rolls, you are going to get a random Hama to the face once in awhile, and that’s all entirely okay. grinding isn’t really the answer, trying something different usually is though.

stands in pretty stark contrast to every other rpg i’ve played in years which is explicitly just about grinding the hell out of everything

2 Likes