the depths of eg-lana

8 Likes

Not sure how far you are in #1 but there are like two progression roadblocks that kind of need to be looked up unless you’re extremely patient. One involves the chamber of illusion and the other involves returning to the waterfall area.

I don’t know how common of an experience this is, but in the 8-bit-style version of the first game I had no idea that pressing digits on my keyboard might warp me places. Long after I got the item that allowed warping (as in, for ten hours or so after), I still was walking around long distances with a wary eye on my slowly decreasing health pool. Actually, the game was more fun that way

1 Like

two bosses down and I’m pretty sure I had to take fall damage very precisely to reach the second one – after I got that idea in my head I was like “no way” but sure enough

fuckin’ rules

We’ve already linked up the gate of illusion with it’s frontside, the gate of illusion sure was. . . . Something. I think I know what you’re alluding to with waterfall area revisiting and no we have not discovered that yet

1 Like

when’s the vita release?

unless I sequence broke the game opens up a lot after the second boss but you really have to muddle your way there so don’t give up hope!!!

well I played wayyyyy too much of this but I can happily confirm that the pochette key makes a reappearance!

When people say “play the original” do they mean the MSX style version or the ‘enhanced’ version that came out after? I played the former years ago and got stuck somewhere after the first boss and sort of gave up eventually.

mechanically they’re 98% identical

I thought I remembered reading that some of the puzzles were completely redesigned

yeah, but it’s largely a polishing pass – most of the stuff is only different enough to make you question your memory of the original, not to substantively change the experience

I would probably play this start to finish over the better part of three straight days if I could lol

also, playing this before anything can be looked up does provide the added benefit of me not being able to look anything up

(I gotta find those spears that fire downward!!!)

2 Likes

In case anyone ends up having the same problem I did, a reboot helped.

I have 5 zones unlocked and I have no idea what I’m doing. It’s great.

1 Like

3 Likes

doing a spoiler thread like we did with Nier Automata sounds like a good idea with this one

1 Like

I feel like they should have translated “Eg-lana” as “Yg-lana,” because “Eg-lana” makes me picture an egg which makes me think it’s some weird, hacky parody of “Mu-lana.”

Love to have female protagonists so male NPCs can creep on them. Yes. That is such good comedy fun times.

yeah it makes a weirdly bad initial impression, like they were going for a fakeout but didn’t fully commit (though the team does seem fully commited to “Japanese screwball indie” as an aesthetic and that’s not exactly out of scope either), but you’ll forget once you’re like halfway into the first real area

These games are seriously so special, no one else would make them. The original is 13 years old and they both feel so essential and contemporary (in their anachronistic way).

1 Like

Totally agreed. It’s a bitter starting taste, but once you’re down in there, it’s a distant memory. This game is wonderful.

Those first impressions come back a bit when I step away from the game though.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/7987/LaMulana_Bundle/

i… i still haven’t played the first beyond ~30 mins of the msx looking original version

are these beatable without looking stuff up? i’ve always had the impression la mulana was in the tower of druaga tier for obscure/unintuitive puzzle solutions

1 Like