tell 'em, 'e tries

hmm

5 Likes

most-read commit of the week, hands down…

I feel bad for these developers. They recognized an area where having additional data would be useful to improving the app and identifying bugs, they implemented telemetry in the least user-hostile way they could with sane defaults, and even tried to predict potential backlash to address that criticism in their proposed patch, and the community isn’t having any of it.

The only thing they could have done better is go with an analytics vendor that isn’t entangled in the ad/search business, or roll their own telemetry backend. But that doesn’t even matter if you’re opting out!

8 Likes

i am not going to purport to understand everything going on behind the scenes here, but i do not extend crsib the benefit of the doubt you are extending here. whether or not this is a good faith attempt to improve the software is still up for debate. having read the entire thread and several other related materials, the only vocal proponents of the change as suggested (which was not discussed anywhere publicly prior to the PR - thus the clusterfuck of the thread today) are the requester and this user, who you may note is also involved in this thread: How to respond to the takedown request email? ¡ Issue #5 ¡ Xmader/musescore-downloader ¡ GitHub

there are more threads to unravel. i don’t see good faith, personally

i think this is a failure of imagination.

telemetry is not necessarily the problem in and of itself. this was not handled correctly.

3 Likes

some additional context:

1 Like

this is also complicated by audacity having been in a GIMP-like state of basic unmaintainedness for years, running easily a decade behind even other free and open source audio editors but beloved because it’s extremely simple

1 Like

I understand the symbolic rejection of the new owners but I would also claim that it is incredibly difficult to improve software without analytics so it’s hard for me to conclude this specific act is “bad faith”.

Users rarely, if ever, self-report issues they’re having, and when they do it’s nearly impossible to get any details out of them. If I were tasked with improving Audacity, I’d likely have the same first step, because it’s not obvious how Audacity is even being used in 2021. What are the common use cases? What are the most used features? Least used features?

I don’t know the rest of the history, but taken in isolation this change is neutral. It’s the same change a “good faith” or “bad faith” actor would make as a first step in “improving” the software.

7 Likes

it’s not really neutral until they remove Google and Yandex from the running or explain (in detail) why no other option is suitable, which they have yet to do despite near-unanimous rejection from the community. if and when that occurs good faith will seem more likely from my perspective

1 Like

and again: why was this not discussed before a large PR, including new libraries and other changes? none of this was asked after beforehand. this blow-up was predictable. the revised OP in the PR pretty much admits as much

Using something besides GA in this instance is really iceskating uphill, idk

There’s basically no comparable product for the simplicity

2 Likes

yeah, I mean, the problem is that the community of audacity users are, clearly, exactly the kind of people who see no use for best practices and analytics whatsoever, and if you wanted to buy and improve an open source audio editor, you should have probably chosen a different one

(ardour is great, you can do pretty good leveling and whatnot which is most of what audacity is good for in kdenlive, using unlicensed reaper is pretty much like unlicensed sublime text, ie very generous)

linux gonna linux

2 Likes

i also think this is not quite right. the new owners were being welcomed as the early comments on the linked tantacrul video should suggest - tantacrul is a widely popular figure and it is believed he will takes steps to improve the UI. i was thinking this might be an overall positive change yesterday.

as someone who uses audacity every day, i’m not heartened with the initial moves by Muse Group toward this software and i need way more from them especially after this stuff

i see the value in analytics but have you seen the ones they are trying to implement? i need more explanation from them about the usefulness of these analytics, especially if they are going to get disabled by every linux distribution anyway…

i do NOT trust these folks and they’ve given zero reason for anyone to trust them yet. why not remain skeptical until then - i am certainly anxious about the direction of the software as a user.

1 Like

i am fundamentally against a philosophical model of trusting “new owners” and assuming good faith by default. now, that being said, i don’t really go looking for trouble.

in this exact context, if devs try to push through something like this, and certainly, now - if they just continue ahead as planned and ignore the cries of foul play from the community, i will be among those looking for a fork.

• Session start and end
  • Errors, including errors from the sqlite3 engine, as we need to debug corruption issues reported on the Audacity forum
  • Usage of effects, sound generators, analysis tools, so we can prioritize future improvements.
  • Usage of file formats for import and export
  • OS and Audacity versions

These are all extremely benign, basically collecting events so they can assign resources?

Do they 100% need all of what you listed to be exported to Google and Yandex via an undiscussed PR over the subsequent objections of the community en masse? I guess we’ll find out soon!

It’s not exported to it’s collected by. Building out comparable tracking in-house would be a huge waste of time whereas the GA implementation is off-the-shelf and easy to staff.

2 Likes

i am a little upset and i could be way off here but i am a little frustrated…

i understand analytics are normalized and we’re all surveilled at all times anyway

we all(?) want audacity to be better software

i am just less trusting than y’all, apparently. time will tell

anyway @workedintheory put it best, if i may cut his sentence short to emphasize my own meaning:

All of this is simply words. I completely understand this. I can only suggest that you look to our actions

I don’t trust anyone to ever make a good decision with a computer, there’s just nothing here to get upset about

1 Like

i’m not upset at the situation, just the inability to express a realistic, meaningful objection that doesn’t feel condescended to. probably unsolvable. i am, after all, kind of an idiot! really

1 Like