Television Commercials

My favorite thing related to this: currently, there are ads out for a drug called Lyrica to “fight diabetic nerve pain” which is a real thing that sucks that happens in your feet where like, i dunno, you feel a giant hot knitting needle being jammed through the sole of your foot spontaneously (speaking from experience here, and yes, it sucks, but oh well). So anyhow, they go on and on about how this relieves that pain. They never actually talk about how the drug was originally an anti-depressant that didn’t work very well for that, but had this unintended side effect of kinda making that pain not as bad. But then they get to the side effects, and like the first one is suicidal ideation and whoa, nope.

The best part of the Aaron Burr commercial? It was one of the first things people ever saw directed by MICHAEL FUCKIN BAY.

2 Likes

A true artist

2 Likes

I assume that this one is well-known. But if you haven’t seen it before, there’s a key transitional moment that makes it noteworthy.

I also like this one:

these are something else

5 Likes

I was going to link the rotten library entry for advertising aimed at children but the whole site has apparently been down since last December.

Anyway kid advertising from the 80s/90s is its own genre on youtube. There are hour+ long compilation videos of commercials for toys, clothes, cartoons, food, you name it if it was being sold to children at the time it’s in there.

I’m watching this video now and am kind of struck by how many of these commercials I remember seeing. I was thinking surely I didn’t watch that much tv as a kid but apparently I really did.

everything is capitalism…

2 Likes

Some parts of this video may be considered violent or cruel.

3 Likes

Brief strong language.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Advertising is bad, but Japan is the best at it

1 Like

Here are two good commercials for cockroach poison (sorry Birch):

1 Like

eric andre is in this rock band commercial about whether or not sheryl crow is cool

in my opinion, sheryl crow is cool