tantric gaming šŸ˜ˆ (formerly endurance gaming)

i was recently recommended this video:

and it got me thinking about games that test your endurance or persistence, specifically over a single session ā€“ there are obviously heaps of games that expect/require players to dedicate enormous amounts of time and concentration over multiple sessions, and while the two are not mutually exclusive, thatā€™s not what iā€™m talking about here.
as i was thinking about the kinds of games (or certain ways of playing) that do this, i found myself splitting games into one of two groups, based on the average level of maintained dexterity/skill that is expected over a single session. this distinction is subtle, and maybe kinda tenuous, but i am interesting in distinguishing the two.
a unifying feature of these two categories is that they both require the player to be actively (physically) engaged with game, even if that engagement is as low impact as simply holding down a button or joystick. this aspect feels important to me, because it distinguishes these games from ā€œidleā€ games, which are also fascinating, but strike me as being designed to be ignored or forgotten, and then remembered again.
iā€™ve been thinking for quite a while now about streaming games like these; iā€™m not a particularly witty or charismatic, but i am persistent, and perfectly willing to dedicate a few hours of my life to, idk, finding the edge of the map in a walking sim.

anyway here are a few games that i thought fit this criteria:

• desert bus

desert bus feels like the urgame of this type and has spawned many clones and romhacks on various systems (like this one). important to note that the above video shows a full playthrough of the game at three times normal speed.
time investment: huge. focus investment: low.

• elite dangerous

elite dangerous and its kin are what i was referring to when i said that prolonged concentration over a single session does not exclude a game from also requiring the player to invest many hours over multiple sessions as well. i sunk around a hundred hours into it during one of the lockdowns last year and flew something like 22k light years in a week or so. at some point iā€™ll pick it up again and go to the core or something. game rules.
time investment: long (variable). focus investment: medium - high.

• the nĆ¼rburgring

ok this is kind of a joke but also this is here as a cover-all for endurance racing games in general and the nĆ¼rburgring in particular because it requires such intense concentration and skill to race well. itā€™s extremely good. play gt sport, or forza or w/e else itā€™s in.
time investment: long (depends on lap-count i guess). focus investment: very high.

there are heaps of games about driving or flying a long distance (eurotruck, flight sim, maybe even something like sky odyssey, tho not quite to the same extent) but personally iā€™m kinda more interested in walking than driving or flying (especially flying). my favourite parts of death stranding were all the ponderous terrain navigation, and iā€™ve played so many connor sherlock games, and iā€™ve sunk idk how many hours into minecraft just walking until i found a mountain or island that i liked the look of.
anyway iā€™m tired and i donā€™t really know what iā€™m going for here but idk how to engage with things that i like without making lists so, what other endurance games or ways of playing games or particular levels or challenges like this are there?? i wanna know!

also please suggest a better thread title because ā€œendurance gamingā€ makes my skin crawl

15 Likes

ENDURO GAMING

11 Likes

Outrun 2006 15 course mode

SSX 3 full mountain combo

7 Likes

enduro is the best sound design on the entire VCS imo

what is that grinding alien diarrhea shit, itā€™s absolute madness and i adore it

4 Likes

I had a friend who did all those mega long races in Gran Tourismo 4 in A spec mode although we later realized they were probably intending someone to use that hands off sped up B spec management mode. We ended up doing rotations on who was playing to give him a rest and luckily his car was so nicely outfitted that it didnā€™t matter that Iā€™m horrible at that whole series.

5 Likes

same here, only that we did this on both my, and my friendā€™s savestate/memory cards.
So, technically speaking, we have done technically all 24h races, three iirc (Nur Nordschleife only 24h, Le Mans Hunadieres w/o chicanes, Hunaudieres w/ chicanes), alone once.

Helped when driving around Nurburgring Nordschleife the first timey since I knew the track in and out by then!

3 Likes

idk how many people here have finished a light gun game in arcades, but one of my favourite things about the genre is how your fingers and arms get tired while playing. By the end of a playthrough youā€™re physically exhausted from the bullshit the game is throwing at you, just as your characters (and wallet) are. Also I used to play House of the Dead 4 so much at my local cinema that I had a callous on my middle finger from how I held the gun.

17 Likes

I canā€™t think of anything other than racing games:

• World tour mode in the 3DS Super Hang-On strings together all of the courses in one go. I think it takes about 20 minutes. It requires constant focus. Itā€™s exhilarating.

• I used to run max lap races in Daytona USA on PS3. I think each race would last about 45 minutes, and you gotta make it to the checkpoints on time throughout. It was beautiful.

• Thereā€™s this one cup (non-championship) event in the Tuner category of Grid Autosport that must have been configured incorrectly to run longer than that gameā€™s actual endurance races. Played at 5x (max) race length, it lasts close to an hour. You drive some oversteery classic muscle car around Algarve (PortimĆ£o), which is often described as a roller coaster of a circuit. Very good.

4 Likes

For me this would be STGs. A 1cc or 1ALL often requires 20-45 mins of perfect mental and physical co-ordination. This doesnā€™t seem particularly long, but imo the margin for error can be so small that restarting a failed run feels like trekking back to base camp.

Maybe this isnt quite what you had in mind. But the low level of input needed (usually one button held down and frequent position adjustment) seems to fit.

6 Likes

I want to do that 5 Day challenge (10 real hours) in Dead Rising to unlock the light saber sometime.

5 Likes

tantric gaming :smiling_imp:

17 Likes

poopsockers

because you have to have a sock to poop in cos you canā€™t take a break, see.

Do games where you can reroll characters / worlds to min/max count? Iā€™m pretty happy rolling for an ideal comp or whatever for hours, playing for 15 minutes, then deciding i should reroll for something else.

2 Likes

The Play+ mode in Thumper is very much an endurance run ā€“ some of the levels are 30+ minutes and if you fail once you lose.

2 Likes

SSX 3 has an ā€œAll peak raceā€ that takes about 20 minutes if youā€™re going pretty fast. One of my favorite challenges because the courses get easier as you go down, and you get to revisit old courses now that youā€™re much better at the game. Not tremendously long, but pretty long for a game that requires as much concentration as SSX3 does.

1 Like

Sooo kinda adjacent to the idle games disqualified up above, but Office Mode in DEFCON is an 8-hour match. It can be ignored for stretches, but you do have to keep coming back to it. Not sure if it qualifies for this threadā€™s theme.

2 Likes

Less subtle Desert Bus : In Stanley Parable you need to keep mashing a button for 4 hours to save a baby from the flames. 2 hours into it, the game makes you press another button too and it suddendly becomes extremely demanding

Thereā€™s the Ancient Cave in Lufia 2 which is a 100 floors roguelike cave, and itā€™s a lot slower than a regular roguelike because battles are regular JRPG turn based fights instead of the usual Punch Punch Punch Win. It should take about 4-5 hours.
Itā€™s not particularly intense but thereā€™s a very high chance to die against surprise overpowered foes

Lufia 3 has a 200 floors ancient cave (!) but unlike Lufia 2 it does have quicksave so it doesnā€™t count. I remember going through about 180 floors of the cave one day, quicksaving, then loading the quicksave the next day and immediately dying against dragons. Sometimes one session is just better

4 Likes

I always wanted to set this up as a parallel thing to the main games at a LAN party but my friends perhaps famously insisted on having No Fun whenever we held one.

2 Likes

I attempted this and the game froze at the end of the fourth day.

1 Like

yeah that thing triggered so many RRODs and fan failures on that original 360 SKU.

Definitely GT endurance races. The longest Iā€™ve done was four hours IIRC. Zoning out and getting better and better at going around a specific track for hours is a pretty good feeling. I havenā€™t done it in years.

2 Likes