tabletop rpg thread, second edition

so here’s a rundown of that system for reference and also because i am real happy with it and this thread is still a good motivator for me to work on rules-documentation:

#SPELL LEVEL

Every spell has a “base level” which is the Arcana level you need to be at in that school in order to learn it. You can’t cast a spell below its base level, but any spell can be cast above its level if you want to make it stronger (in spell descriptions, the casting level you choose is represented as X).

#AP

You have 2 * your Arcana level (which goes up to 10, as with every other stat!). Every time you cast a spell, you spend an amount of AP equal to the level you cast it at. It’s like MP in an RPG except you can keep casting after you run out if you have a deathwish~

#CASTING ROLLS

All spells are cast with a flat 2d10 roll. Your “target number” you want to roll above when casting a spell is 8 when you’re casting at a spell level equal to your level in that school. The target number is influenced by the following factors:

• LEVEL SCALING: For every level you’re casting above or below your level in that school, add or subtract 2 from the target number respectively. So if you have 1 Arcana and you’re casting a spell at level 1, the target number is 8, but if you’re casting it at level 2 then the target number is 10.

• RUNNING OUT OF JUICE: For every point of AP casting the spell would bring you below zero, add 1 to the target number. E.g. if you have -3 AP after casting the spell, add 3 to the target number.

• REPITITION: If you’re casting the spell multiple times in the same day, add 2 each time.

• MULTISCHOOL: Every spell belongs to a magic school, but some spells have levels in other schools. If you have no levels in that school, each of the multischool levels you don’t have is a +6 penalty. Otherwise, if you have at least one level in the secondary school, then any levels you’re missing beyond that are just +2.

and that’s it! it sounds like a lot but it’s not too bad, and it’s a lot less to keep track of than …shudder… spell slots would be

#MISCASTING
###If you rolled below the target number, then you know what time it is, baby:

Each of these categories is a separate rollable table. Minor miscasts usually only affect the caster or their surroundings; severe miscasts are usually permanent and nasty; “misheard effects” are stupid puns that are unique to each spell and have a completely unrelated effect; “inverse effects” do exactly the opposite of what you wanted the spell to do; :skull: that which should not be:skull: is, uh… well, it was nice knowing you!

a couple of fun severe miscasts that have become infamous/changed the course of the campaign:

#ARCANA SCHOOLS

##Stellar/light magic
###Associated with Aurora. low levels are mostly support/clerical magic, higher levels focus on seer/psion/summoner stuff

##Lunar/dark magic
###Associated with Bellatrix. Based around debuffs/curses/etc, every spell has a unique ritual required to learn it and an associated permanent effect on the caster as a result of the ritual.

##Earth magic
###Druidic. In addition to obvious spells like Last Airbender-style tremorsense, most spells focus on self-modification: shapeshifting, walking through walls, pretending to be a statue (lol), etc.

##Fire magic
###Most spells blend into other schools, especially Light and Dark. Fire mages get a little bit from every archetype, they’re like finaly fantasy red mages except not garbage

##Wind magic
###Almost all spells are built around incredible feats of acrobatics and dexterity; the school of swordsmen, rogues, dancers, messengers, sailors, and performers (dude have you seen a wind mage play four flutes at once? you gotta it’s amazing)

####(uhh it will have more than a handful of spells eventually oops!!!)

##Water magic
###This school has more directly damaging spells than any other because why not, fuck it

##Aether magic
###The “magic as science” school. i tried to write every other school to be as intuitive as possible and this school to be a horrifying mess that, you know, you might actually have to attend Mage College to understand. it has all the miscellaneous wizard-type spells: teleportation, counterspells, artificing, etc. i love it a lot.

###example of just how ridiculous one spell can get:

####excerpt from the Teleportation Mishap table (i think these two are from Ten Foot Polemic which is a real good blog)

5 Likes

If you don’t know what a chicken sexer is, try to hold on to that ignorance.

2 Likes

they are what their name implies. I’m not sure what more there is to know? They determine the sex of chicks.

don’t grow up to do a sex on a chicken. be a doctor, like pa pa would want

daytoooonaaaa

obviously then the second stand should be named the KING OF SPEED because he’s literally the fastest thing in the universe (a beam of light)

he’s gonna be trapped in a fiber optic cable, which i am obviously gonna be building into a grappling hook

all he can do is wriggle the cord and transfer things

but i am going to make him Viable. i’m determined. what if he transfers…your soul??? --a quality post by me, haley,

…i should definitely be sleeping right now!!\

1 Like

i definitely was high last night, yup

anyway guess what i’m working on today

my new stupidly ambitious goal is to have a finished First Edition combined rulebook/spellbook/gmbook/player handbook by august (please no one hold me to this except myself)

obviously i will laser-etch the binding and print the book myself since i can do that, bitches

if people would consider paying to own the thing haley has spent literal years and thousands of hours on in fancy-but-affordable book form at a point in the ambiguous future then spill yr blood on this post, i wanna gauge interest on whether i should plan to do a really limited print-on-demand thing for it. it would be cool to have a motivator to work on my #1 passion project that would also contribute a tiny bit to paying rent and making me feel like my work is worth paying for lol

10 Likes

I would definitely purchase such a thing

cuba if you’re going to stick with the bit of never handing out potions then there has to be a bloodletting

it’s the only way, sorry

MOLON LABE

10 hours of writing and there are now around twice as many miscasts as there were yesterday across all the d20 tables which means i’m a third done with them lol (150ish out of 380)

i am pretty proud of some of these, though

at first i wasn’t sure how to make a d20 table of minor miscasts used by all schools (and therefore showing up constantly) stay interesting and feel right for everyone, and then i realized the answer was to get stupidly meta and wonkish with it. the result is ridiculous and i love it

3 Likes

i’m playing around with a new stat/perk system instead of sleeping or working on the project i have due in twenty hours haha whoops

it’s pretty neat though imo. fun context-free screencap:

1 Like

you’ve got the dry-joke-after-trait-description down, I like it. I found that voice surprisingly easy to slip into in the few pen & paper things I’ve done, it’s a lot of fun.

1 Like

I am going back to play tabletop RPGs next week after almost ten years since the last time I plaed. Really looking forward to it even if it’s D&D. Playing with people who haven’t played before, so it should be interesting. Still torn between wandering cleric (so I can offer support to new players) or rhumba bard.

Bard is excellent at support in most editions that have it

1 Like

so i am still workshopping this aggressively but i’m real proud of it and where it’s going

[details=broad but probably still not very readable mechanics explanation]
normally my system is extremely generous with flexibility in how people build their characters: there’s no class system, you just start by distributing a few stats according to relatively simple rules and each level you choose a new ability (“perk”) that’s only really restricted by which stats you didn’t make your dump stats; every perk is treated equally, there are no low or high level perks, the closest you get is taking the same perk twice for a second tier

for the last category, “trained stats,” which include profession- and niche-based stuff that not every character is gonna use, i wanted to do something different but was unsatisfied before now. i ended up deciding to go back to this whole system’s jrpg roots and make the whole thing a job system with a skill tree. so there are gonna be around 8 of these things total (right now the ones i have planned are Smithing, Engineering, Artificing, Navigation, Medicine, Art, Cooking, and History). when making your character you pick 4 that you actually have. the experience that you get towards leveling up is independently spent raising these stats. upon raising a trained stat to levels 4, 6, 8 and 10 you get to pick Domains within that trained stat to roll with advantage on, and each Domain also comes with a cool perk you get for free. at levels 5, 7, and 9 you pick between a few perks that are the same regardless of your Domain, and at level 10 you get to go back and pick one of the ones you skipped.

this is a lot less arbitrary than what i was doing with these before, and it also helps a lot that these skills are no longer competing with the mainline ones because there was not as much reason to pay attention to them. now that they’re just a thing you get for free they’re actually fun~[/details]

here’s the skill tree for Navigation (yes Nice Things is the name of an actual mechanic):

and here are the perks that come with each of the Navigation Domains:

again everything including balance is really rough-draft but i like it a lot

this is real good, I love the incentive to break apart previously-exclusive skills

2 Likes

I have said this before but us working on our systems together has been a real good thing. It’s so useful to be able to do creative things with another person and inspire things in each other’s creations. I like being able to look at this new trained stat system and say ‘oh hey Haley liked the thing I did and decided to do her own thing that was inspired by it’

3 Likes

I miss having peers lol

there is so much to get done for the rulebook omg

most of the mechanics in this table already existed and it still took six hours to write and format and it doesn’t even make especially good use of the space that the B4 paper i’m gonna be printing on gives me blehhhhh

pls buy my book when this is over lol

(the appendix is pretty far from me being ready to share but it basically amounts to a bunch of horrible drawbacks you can take for your enchantment to reduce the level (many of which involve exploding, in true artificer fashion))