tabletop rpg thread, second edition

###i’ve been running the same campaign for a year and a half, 6-10 hours almost every week; @contentdeleted and @Khan are both in it obviously

###my homebrew system has a lot of documents and rollable tables now, lol

###in place of d&d style spell slots, we use an arcana point pool with a casting level set by the caster and miscast tables for if you roll below the corresponding DC

##hey look at how sexy the stat blocks are in this system

##characters choose a perk every level, which we use instead of any class system

##here are a couple earth magic perks too why not

##and a couple spells i guess, here’s one for lunar magic

##and another one that’s multischool water-and-lunar

between all documents and my own notes there’s probably around 100k words? though a lot of that is the result of suggestions from and collaboration with my players because they’re pretty great

also @Khan please post about your campaign in here so i can gush to everyone about how cool Sammy and Daytona are, thank

also also @Tulpa i know you have like a million posts for this thread, i wanna read em

12 Likes

oh yeah lemme just copy-paste the world map again since it’s a new thread

shit took like 30 hours and is the exact blend of medieval-cartography and snes jrpg overworld screen i wanted, it’s still probably the thing i’m proudest of that i’m directly responsible for

and the big dorky introductory loredump i wrote like two years ago and am not gonna bother to reread or edit haha #wow #owned

On the left and right of the map: artist’s depictions of Bellatrix and Aurora, respectively.

REGNUM DEI. Regnum Dei, or the Holy Kingdom, is a theocratic empire that ruled most of the continent throughout the Fifth Era. Conquest and food collection from vassal states allowed the capital city to reach a previously unheard-of population density, and even after its near-collapse in the civil war at the end of the Fifth Era, it remains one of the cultural centers of the known world. There’s nothing it doesn’t have, assuming you know where to look.

Regnum Dei shares its rule between an unstable royal family and a probably-corrupt High Council. It is kind of a political mess. It also hosts a knighthood that, over the course of centuries, has split from the church (the Monastery of Aurora); its main focus now is regaining territory lost after the civil war.

HAERESIS. Haerisis used to be the eastern half of Regnum Dei. In the year 967 of the Fifth Era, for unknown reasons, the prophet Eleanora declared a man named Mortzopholus the rightful ruler of the entire continent. Eleanora was killed in an ensuing fight for succession in Regnum Dei that grew into a decade-long civil war. The war ended with one of the greatest feats in the history of magic, when a hundred powerful wind and earth mages worked together to tear the eastern half of the city out of the ground, creating the floating island of Haerisis and what is now Impostor’s Bay, and marking the collapse of the kingdom and the end of the Fifth Era. The year is now 148 in the Sixth Era.

Haerisis is ruled by the descendants of Mortzopholus as a militant isolationist theocracy. It rarely interacts with the outside world aside from trading for food with Barbaros and attempting to gain influence over the Monastery of Aurora. For these reasons, among others, academics who want exposure to new ideas need to study abroad. Those that leave the island need to be careful when mentioning where they came from.

Each city refers to itself as the holy kingdom (Regnum Dei) and the other as heresy (Haeresis), and they refuse to agree on any politically neutral terms, which can make things very confusing.

MONASTERIUM AURORA. The monastery is massive and ancient, and is the closest thing followers of Aurora have to a centralized church. Both Regnum Dei and Haerisis claim dominion over it. Regnum Dei in particular has historically derived its legitimacy from the monastery, and has increasingly tried to bring it under state control. The monastery is split between traditionalists and supporters of the prophet Eleanora.

BARBAROS. Once a collection of territories belonging to Regnum Dei, after the end of the Fifth Era the region has been claimed by both Regnum Dei and Haerisis but is now largely independent. The region is humid, swampy, and populated mainly by small farming and fishing villages in the east, and nomadic, indigenous tribes farther south and west.

MORTUUM ARCHIPELAGUS. This large volcanic archipelago is sparsely populated and widely regarded as cursed, for long-forgotten reasons.

EREMUS. Even in Haeresis, where the prophet Eleanora is considered a saint, the spirit of her teachings tends to be ignored whenever it’s inconvenient. During the civil war, she said that it was wrong to spill another man’s blood, and all that happened was that her supporters switched from swords to warhammers and maces.

Something similar happened with the treatment of mutants (sometimes called the Changed, or even Bellatrix’s Children). They are physically deformed and infertile and often kill mothers in childbirth, and are thought of as devilspawn. When Eleanora said that mutant infanticide was wrong, her followers switched from killing them at birth to shipping them off to the inhospitable and previously uninhabited islands of Eremus, where they were left to die.

Over the course of a century and a half, Bellatrix’s Children managed to gain a foothold in Eremus and survive in small colonies through subsistence farming and creative usage of their unique, unnatural abilities.

A mutant tends to have one or two exceptional abilities which are offset by other severe weaknesses. They are still seen as subhuman by most followers of Aurora, and those that manage to leave Eremus (usually on their own, in secret) are widely ostracized and persecuted on the mainland, and are forced to live in hiding.

METALLUM SPECUS. For centuries, Regnum Dei has traded precious metals from these mines for silk and spices from the Golden Cities in the east. Their trade route has seen less use in the hundred and forty-odd years since the Sixth Era began but is still one of Regnum Dei’s major sources of income.

AMARA MARE. The Bitter Sea, mainly known as a leg in the trade route between Regnum Dei and the Golden Cities. It has a name that sounds much nicer than its meaning.

DIVES PORTUM. New Port, or sometimes New Haven, was built centuries ago around trade across the Bitter Sea and has become one of the most culturally diverse cities in the known world.

AUREA CIVITATES. Westerners know very little about the land beyond the Golden Cities, which is largely desert and populated mainly by small nomadic tribes. The Golden Cities grew out of centuries of trade and western influence. It is the home of traders, sailors and transients. Its wealth distribution is grotesque.

4 Likes

Haley’s system is really dope and her campaign’s real good. When I started playing in her campaign a little over a year ago (I came in late) I was inspired to finally do the thing I’ve wanted to do since my dad first showed me ADnD as a kid - make my own system. So thanks for that, @haley

I’ve been running my campaign for about half a year? Maybe? I ran some others before this to iron out the system, but this campaign is easily the best. And hey, @haley and @contentdeleted both play in it. Like Haley’s, has a lot of documents. But mostly I have rollable tables because I’m addicted to them. It’s easily a 3:1 ratio of tables to text documents

Magic is a huge thing for me so it’s unpredictable, easily goes wrong, and is powerful. If you fuck up on a spell (on average, half the time), you roll on the d50 miscast table for your spell school (there’s 6).

But more importantly, there are Caster Archetypes which allow people to have cool weird abilities since there are no classes. I’m real happy about these and uh here’s some of 'em

Almost all of the work I’ve put into this system has been for it’s magic and I could talk about that all day but I’ll save that for another post probably. The important thing is that one of these archetypes Turn you into a stand user, which is something the entire party either has taken or plans to take.

Because yeah, I’m running a cyberpunk campaign set in the early 2000s with heavy JoJo influences and Kevin Bacon has a stand called Footloose and I take this very seriously

Anyway here’s some stuff I’ve done for two of the party’s characters:

『STAND NAME』 Video Killed the Radio Star
『STAND MASTER』 Thom Crimash, the alien Conspiracy Theorist

『STAND NAME』 Daytona
『STAND MASTER』 Sammy Aria, the Sassy ex-Military Super Weapon

5 Likes

you both of yas are,

real awesome

I haven’t DM’d since high school when all my carefully-wrought political balance was rendered impotent but it was a pretty formative experience to who I am now.

Can you talk about why you wanted your own rules systems? Did you have specific problems in play with what you were using, or did it not support the characters you wanted to see, or --?

1 Like

Dawww thanks~

For me, I’ve always loved ADnD and the retro-inspired games like LotFP for their difficulty and good ol’ fashioned crunch. But a lot of my friends aren’t as into that, or at least wouldn’t be into it for a full campaign. And while I appreciate things like DnD 5e for bringing tabletop games to a larger audience, It just feels formulaic and just kinda lame. Pathfinder is fine, and I’m playing in a campaign right now, but it gives you so many options in combat that it may as well give you no options in combat, imo

But I think the biggest reasons for me were classes and creativity. Classes just feel too limiting for me, I’ve never liked the idea of “you are the rogue this is what you are good at”. I just wanted to give players a list of skills and say “choose what you’re good at, and allocate goodness as desired”. And certainly there are other systems that do this out there, FATE is a good example. It’s simple and clean, and you build who you are through skills. But I wanted something that I had created myself, so that I could look at it and say “yeah, I did a thing”

But yeah I wanted my players to be able to think of who their character is, grab the skills they have, and grow in them at whatever pace they want. The spellcasters write their own spells, players gain skill points to spend by doing cool character things and not necessarily through combat or whatever.

OH another thing that gets me about a majority of tabletop RPGs: health. Shadowrun did it really well with their box system and it was a big inspiration for my skill system and sort of formed my health system. But I hate that in most games you get to a point where everyone’s got 3-digit or almost 3-digit health and you just get smooshed by a dragon and don’t even flinch. That’s not how people work and I’m not super big on that high-fantasy superhuman type of thing. It’s what I liked so much about ADnD, you could die so easily you actually felt human.

So I have health capped at 18, and it’s split into three sections. Basically, when you get damaged enough, your body is damaged enough that it is effecting you and you don’t just get to heal that back without surgery. Also fighting gets you tired and those with weak stomachs are not advised to enter the battlefield, lest they lose their minds.

This just sorta turned into me rambling but things just kept popping into my mind

1 Like

no, I like hearing the pain points and inabilities of these systems

Do you put skills in trees or is it totally free-form? I like skill mix-n-match with about 3 to 4-deep skill trees but I think it requires a level of trust in the players that a game consciously aiming to be the broadest-market like modern D&D is constrained by. They know a lot of card shops run semi-open games that need to fend off power-players and seem to be ok with that limitation.

I like wounds-style health systems more, yeah, although I’ve never played in one where a GM put the screws on us – it can also make for a more forgiving bleed-out state than DnD.

I have around 30 Skills, and the players get six to start. They get two more every level and I level them up arbitrarily when I feel like they have gained enough importance. But they get points to spend every session.

The basic rundown for the skills is that your modifier is half your points in the skill, rounded down. Also points in a skill cap at 10, and every level it requires more points to upgrade. On odd numbers, you choose from a list of proficiencies which are all very specific and probably have some overlap and give you an extra bonus when working within them. On even numbers, they get little perks/skills that they get to choose from starting at 4.

Yeah there are a few things in my system that need to be ironed out more before I tried to show this to a wider audience but at least I don’t have any players just trying to power-build and drain all the fun.

I also have noticed that with a wounds-style health system, players are less reckless. When battles make them tired, and wounds make them weak, they want to escape from more battles and get into less dangerous fights, because they want to live. If someone wants to fight day-in, day-out, they end up constantly on a nurse’s couch like DareDevil, rather than the usual DnD character who fights until they’re at 2HP and then get up tomorrow to do it all over again with little-to-no consequences

It’s rough because DnD encourages only-fighting so we always went with faster healing because, well, what else are you here for?

Holistic games are so much better

1 Like

i used to run a hilariously aggressive wounds system in my campaign where dying was hard but getting mauled to hell was easy and broken ribs and stuff ended up taking months to heal real-time because we almost never did time-skips

it was Too Much but i also kind of loved how the progression of every plot arc was framed by everyone getting gradually more battered and everything getting scarier as a result (without resorting to power-creep)

these days i use a split HP system (Flesh and Grit) and consequence tables that characters can roll on to negate Flesh damage once per long rest (with nastier tables for larger damage-negations), sneak attacks and critical hits targeting Flesh directly, and a bleeding-out/Surgery/malpractice system for when someone goes below 0. it sounds like a lot but i’m pretty happy with it in practice (and you can bet my system has been playtested to hell)

this is your user title now btw

mods, name this sick filth

well now I have to

1 Like

<3

One of the best design decisions in Dungeon World was to make HP entirely static. You don’t get more hit points when you level, period.

monsters don’t bloat up either, such that a dragon has only 16 hit points.

4 Likes

My favorite thing about your system will always be casting/miscasts. How else do you have amazing scenarios like the party mage casting a high level spell to patch a hole in the barrier holding a lich king only to get a major miscast which ends up on the result dictating that “All prisoners within a 100 mile radius are freed from captivity, teleported to a safe location, and branded with the casters sigil.”

Also this spell

2 Likes

a more detailed write-up of my HP system because why not i guess. doing this is a good exercise for me anyway since i want to have a finished book eventually for vanity’s sake

Flesh: 7+Strength (effectively 3-20). even at max level, people who aren’t trying to be a tank are going to have less than 10.

Grit: A number of d4s equal to level, rerolled every level, with a 20 Grit cap.

Consequence: Negates one hit taken to Flesh, with a different table depending on the percentage of your max Flesh negated. The categories are 1/3, 2/3, 100% and 200%. for perspective one of the results on the 1/3 table is actually a buff and one of the 200% results just kills you.

Bleeding Out: When knocked below 0 Flesh, you lose consciousness and lose 1 Flesh every round until you hit negative max Flesh and die.

healing spells usually restore Grit–the only spell that restores Flesh is high-level and does equal Flesh damage to the caster. the only really viable way to stabilize someone is with surgery and someone who’s not specialized in it will probably make things worse (roll 2d10+Surgery skill, every 2 points above 10 heal 1 Flesh and every point below 10 deals 1 damage).

we used to have a mage-surgeon in the party, that was a cool archetype i hadn’t seen before

anyway games are 4 nerds time to go make out instead bye

Yeah, ive been a fan of hp/vitality split systems since I played star wars saga edition in high school because of how much you could do to narratively justify the abstraction and make mechanically inventive systems surrounding that split.

It’s also very Kawazu!

so i don’t know if anyone remembers this but around two years ago there was an axe thread about this japanese employment site that listed details and salaries for different careers but illustrated them all as jrpg character classes

that page was a lot smaller back then but they never stopped updating. it is one of my absolute favorite things. a year ago i set up an amazon jp account just to import their artbook. a significant fraction of the adventurers/enemies that show up in tabletop are based on these (i love my setting and its nethack-style anachronism soup). example of a stat sheet based on one of these:

this is almost a haleypunk post but i don’t care i’m putting it in this thread

here are some of my favorites

#obviously i made these two into librarian witch sisters

#personal style inspirations

(please appreciate her polish-holding buckler and nail file sword with a brush on the hilt, and the feathers on her cap that are actually just more nails from a nail wheel)

##this pokemon go trainer with her off-brand eldritch knockoff pokemon is the most inadvertantly horrifying thing and i love it

###the google translated description for the rice farmer is “a warrior who fights nature day to day, making white jewelry; an incarnation of the god Ninigi,” and that is the best fucking thing

###according to the translation this guy’s shield is literally diplomatic immunity, he is the most anime villain and i love him, he better show up in the LoGH remake tbh

##every medical or sciencey occupation turns out amazing for some reason

##these guys are totally on a sentai team together

##the truck driver and toll collector are listed right next to each other and they are totally arch-enemies i mean c’mon

##this guy’s a beekeeper but the translation is way better tbh

##i have not figured out what a chicken sexer does exactly but i want to be her

##name a more iconic couple, i’ll wait

##…his apron is a breastplate

##this one doesn’t have the best artstyle but give it a moment and appreciate it:

look at his eyepiece that’s just a camcorder. look at how his scooter folds up into a bow, and the bowstring is the bikechain. look at the letters that are strung to the arrow. he’s delivering mail by shooting people’s mailboxes. holy shit. holy shit.

9 Likes

you can probably guess who’s responsible for this (it me)

bonus round can you guess which character i play

wow good job :clap::clap::clap: are you ready for an unabashed post about my OCs here ya go

idk if i’ll ever have the patience to commit to a character who’s not some kind of tank with weird gimmicks

she’s a cross between samus/zarya/the terminator, she’s ex-military turned Furiosa-style racecar driver (our party is a reality TV wacky death-race sentai team), i spent most of my starting money giving her a gatling/mortar gun arm and a floppy disk controller with a non-backlit screen on the back of her neck because i thought it was funny at the time. this is sorta just how i play characters in general, people definitely find me either hilarious or insufferable, sorry not sorry

i really like that kyle’s system lets players workshop their own spells with the GM and generally gives so much room for dumb fun bullshit. i formatted my own spellbook i am a dork

daytona’s stand ability is obviously that her mods get better the faster sammy is moving she’s a racing stand i mean c’mon

#DAYTONAAAAAAAA

1 Like