tabletop rpg thread, second edition

I’m in the middle of my first-ever D&D game with this couple I’ve been dying to hang out with for ages, and holy shit is this game pure fun. Gonna just hit you with the bullets before my questions:

• Campaign is set in an 1870’s fantasy America, where we’re doing jobs for the king of Baltimore and are on the tail of “The Betrayer”, their world’s John Wilks Booth resurrected by cultists.
  • I had no idea HOW MUCH gametime was devoted to just dicking around. Every play session is like 60% joking and hanging out and 40% actual goblin-in-twain-cleftin’
  • The DM let me make my guy The Thing from The Thing, who took the form of a conspiracy tabloid journalist after her meteor went down War of the Worlds-style. I now get to play around with being an obvious alien who gets all his information about humans from his Info Wars-style newspaper. At this point only our rogue figured it out, so she’s started feeding me completely false facts about humans that I take entirely at face value.
  • This game rules.

So, we reached a point where we got back to Baltimore and all split off to do little sub-stories before our next quest. I had my guy go back to the workplace of the form he assumed, where I did this delightful scene with the editor-in-chief, an angry, red-faced human man who’s for all intents and purposes Fantasy Alex Jones.

With that in mind, here’s my question: I need some insane fantasy-theme conspiracy theories for my guy to read and believe (and occasionally mention with confidence in an attempt to seem normal). Stuff like “wizards are just hucksters who dump hallucinogenic drugs into the water supply to make sheeple believe they’re magic” and “elves control all levels of government and are selectively trying to racecuck the humans into extinction”. That kind of stuff.

Only tricky part is that basically every insane conspiracy theory I can think of in a fantasy world seems like a completely plausible D&D campaign story.

3 Likes