SYSTEM SHOCK ⚡

I went to check out whatever happened to Underworld Ascendant and wow, that came out and it was so broken that RPS refused to review it

1 Like

system shock is perfectly playable in 2019 with the enhanced edition controls. I played it for the first time in 2019 myself. it’s a good game. it doesn’t take that long to get used to. but this video looks more than competent, and if nothing else the remake should make the combat more enjoyable. things like grenades will be usable, presumably. hopefully enemies won’t just hitscan murder you until you lean around corners and cheese them out. maybe they’ll even make cyberspace functional. if you have a burning desire to play system shock this year, I’d say do it. but if not, may as well wait and see.

Okay you got me

But they had a lot of heart!

1 Like

i tried system shock yesterday

it’s a lot

my biggest problem is i don’t have the attention span to listen to the audio logs???

i think something is wrong with me

audio logs are the worst, there’s nothing wrong with you.

1 Like

I think they’re still a fine exposition tool, if not found by the dozen in areas and lasting less than 30 secs to a minute. Writing out the character’s thoughts < actually something they may have recorded of course.

Can’t stand the same with documents. I don’t mind holographic/memory ghost apparitions however they’re in-universe explained.

These things should never be close or crowded in places where enemies hang.

1 Like

Just different :wink:

Try subtitles? That’s what I use.

1 Like

yeah audio logs get on my nerves 90% of time, mostly because they are poorly implemented and for me tend to break immersion

Yeah, I can read way faster to get the same pap. I don’t want to be stuck pacing in a 5x5 area waiting on some goofy voice actor saying “Ahhh 3 days from retirement I can’t wait to OH NO THEY’RE COMING THROUGH THE DOOR” to finish up.

8 Likes

I feel like the last of us was the only game to use them well, and only because there’s maybe like a total of 3 in game

they are mostly used as a crutch for poor writing, and what sucks is that poor writing makes them even worse.

I really appreciate old resident evil games because they mostly just had little documents laying around and they were very short and simple and communicated simple things and there weren’t too many of them and like, sure resident evil isn’t some literary masterpiece but for what it is (and for what most AAA action/narrative games are) it’s really all you need and nothing more.

I think my real issue is games just going overboard with that kind of shit in general so they “feel” more substantial.

3 Likes

I think audio logs need to be designed like walk 'n talks; you give the player a space they need to move in while listening, or a space to explore, so they’re not left fidgeting.

3 Likes

they should never play automatically

what kind of psychopath is exploring like a creepy abandoned whatever, picks up a personal recorder and just immediately presses play

3 Likes

Maybe they have headphones okay

Small in-ear wireless thingies that you can’t see

1 Like

The best audio logs were in No More Heroes where you got to hold up the Wiimote to your ear like a cell phone, that was badass.

8 Likes

weren’t those actual phone calls to you though, not found plot exposition diary entries

2 Likes

Oh fuck… I mean, uh, no way they were like totally voice mail messages.
*backs slowly out door *
*sound of car starting and peeling out *

4 Likes

*T-1000-ing for yo ass *

1 Like

I hate these in all relevant games because I never know exactly where the game is going to put the next trigger, but I don’t want to miss any of the walk & talk dialogue by walking into the trigger too early, so I end up going super slow or just standing around so I don’t miss anything, completely defeating the purpose of the walk & talk

3 Likes

I should make a walking sim where all the audio logs are gorm trying to figure out where he put his glasses

3 Likes