Switch! (Part 1)

I think I tried to open the game a few too many times because the message changed from the standard “please check the eshop for more info” to a slightly more stern tone with “repeatedly attempting to open the game will not enable you to play it sooner”

23 Likes

Ha! More interfaces should scold the user

4 Likes

what if it did tho

could you imagine

6 Likes

Well it worked after 11pm, which is an hour earlier than I expected. Persistence pays off!

6 Likes

Sequence breaking the eShop

9 Likes

I finally cracked, y’all. I went out and got a Switch Lite. I had to settle for the dark blue because my local shop was out of Yellow. I also got Pokemon Sword cause I guess if I’m going to cave in on one thing I was holding out on, I might as well really crumple and go for two.

I just figured I was never going to use the thing docked, and I’ve seen a few videos online where it looks easy enough to replace thumbsticks if they start to drift.

I shelled out for the Switch Online thing, seems like it’ll be worth it I guess? Why the heck not it’s only $20.

12 Likes

I have owned this console for about 48 hours and have played zero minutes of videogames on it thus far, this is an extremely On Brand Mikey Post

13 Likes

I dont even know what to recommend

Seems like most worthwhile games are available elsewhere in a better form

it’s a switch thing

5 Likes

I fully anticipate playing mostly Nintendo exclusives and maybe a smattering of retro/indie stuff, I’m okay with that.

4 Likes

it’ll load eventually just hang in there

18 Likes

kingdom battle is really fun!

1 Like

I bought Splatoon 2 two years ago and played it for like 5 hours. A friend visited a few weeks ago and was like, hey play this with me. Since then, I’ve put in like 30 hours into the game. I’m fuckin’ hooked (which I think I’m not supposed to be?).

8 Likes

Ringo Ishikawa and Arrest of a Stone Buddha.

I should make that 10 Games to Get already.

6 Likes

3 minutes is the perfect round length, turns out

6 Likes

man just wait until you discover doing the salmon runs

4 Likes

Overall gotta say I’m pretty enamored of this silly little gaming device. It feels good in my hands, the UI isn’t quite as awful I’ve come to expect from a modern game console. The SNES/NES Nintendo Online things are objectively a Bad Value in a world where emulation exists but I don’t mind have a curated set of ROMs on this thing ready to boot up whenev.

I put a 256GB SD card in this thing, but I anticipate mostly buying physical games for this system, as a contrast to my PS4 spending habits which have been almost solely digital throughout the life of the console.

10 Likes

Outside of you can sell them later why the physical games? Switch physical has only been a hassle for me.

1 Like

A little bit of me misses the Physical Media Ownership Experience but CD/DVD were always such miserable formats compared to old cartridges. These little game cards aren’t great but at least the cases are small.

Trials of Mana digital price is stubbornly anchored to $50 more than a year later whereas you can get a physical copy for $20-30, so that’s one reason at least.

3 Likes