Switch! (Part 1)

don’t skip the last remnant remaster :ok_woman:🙆

3 Likes

How’s the performance of that on switch?

Good! Docked it looks great, you can see all the details in all the different tile patterns. Textures are a little blurry in handheld, but everything pops.

1 Like

woah, i’ve had this on steam forever but never got around to playing it. i had no idea it was on switch : o thanks!

learned about these two sys-modules that’ll let you use Playstation/Xbox (and a limited range of additional) controllers via USB or Bluetooth, respectively, with your hacked Switch.

anyone playing the ghosts and goblins thing

3 Likes

I’ve gotten through ~1.5 levels, on ‘Knight’ difficulty. It’s good, so far. The backgrounds are detailed and nice looking, lots of leaves and very generous parallax, the animations are goofy and fun. The detailing is maybe slightly less convincing on like say the first huge B-1 boss, but in general the watercolor paper maquette vibe feels charming to me. There is maybe some subtle texture mapped polygon stuff going on in the backgrounds, I’m not sure?

Makaimura control feel is spot on. Snappy. Lots of shit happening on screen at times, fun.

I appreciate the seemingly infinite lives/continues and checkpoints, though I fully expect them to pull some ‘you must make it to the hidden altar without using retries to face the true evil” shit eventually.

The ‘Umbral Bees’ collecting skill tree upgrade menu stuff + branching path stage selection adds to the thick whiff of PSP wafting off.

I’m liking it, I’m feeling it.

10 Likes

I have an update:

I died 99 times on stage A-2.

4 Likes
6 Likes

i got so close to finishing champions road earlier :frowning:

2 Likes

Ok so I got through the first playthrough.

Yeah, prob. the biggest fault is too-many too-long auto-scroller set-pieces, for a game where you are guaranteed to die and replay everything a bunch. Maybe if you were real good they would be less of a drag but they at least seem to be intentional drags.

The ‘final’ stage was a cool and funny way to handle a boss-rush kinda thing.

As you can imagine there is a 2nd quest, with reworked “shadow” stages that I’ve yet to dig into. Plus a big empty space at the end of the stage select map, etc. Also, goofily you unlock turbo and slo-mo mode settings?

Good game, worth it to play.

1 Like

True, but I think all further attempts should remain interesting or continue to keep you on your toes just a little bit. I don’t try to solve games, I consciously try to learn as little as possible when playing anything I love. Anyway, I didn’t mention this in that post, but I still recommend the game. It definitely gets better in the shadow stages(even if the dog boss didn’t change and some bits get easier?). Even the roller coasters, they get magicians and guillotines. Having Arthur potentially slow down or turn into a frog adds some jazz to the game.

Also love how the final stage repurposes stuff, but not enough dogs imo(haven’t finished the 2nd loop yet btw). If you love this series, check it out.

1 Like

I’m having a lot of fun with it too despite the difficulty. As the Eurogamer review notes, it’s just so charming and full of personality that you’re never quite discouraged with you die. You just shrug your shoulders, chuckle a little and keep trying. Currently playing “Knight” difficulty as well, which seems to be the default setting.

I’m still suspicious of Bravely Default II despite enjoying the second demo. Yet there’s some interesting praise for the game in this video.

I thought Bravely Default 1 was awful and I’ll only trust a positive take on the sequel from somebody who also thought it was awful and for the same reasons

9 Likes

As a fan of FF5, I really wanted to like BD1 but the dungeons were simply too boring and the brave mechanic can go fly a kite

2 Likes

i’ll wait on BD2 until someone can confirm that the game doesn’t totally fall apart at the end but basically what Broco said

1 Like

sort of curious because people have said this one is hard but i dunno if that just means ‘grindy’

and not to get all digital foundry nerd but it runs really badly

man ff5 is so good

3 Likes

I’m like 5 hours in or so?

So far it plays a lot like BD1, but yeah, story dungeons seem like steps up in difficulty, but in a way where you can probably take them without grinding with some decent planning/tactics, or you can go grind for a bit.

It’s weird seeing so much effort spent making 3d polygonal versions of towns, and then using them from a fixed perspective ala PS1 FF games.

It’s very much “Square B team” which I am fine with, but yeah.

Dear God I hope it doesn’t do the loops from 1.

3 Likes

Oh yes. Like remember a lot of the weird issues of Unreal 3 on the 360? Texture pop-in is (not as bad as on the 360 but) back, baby! Variable framerates are here! Let’s go!

Or not. It doesn’t super annoy me because it’s not an action game, but.