Super Nintendo Exploration Squad - Super Bomberman 2 casting call

oh also here’s the discord link again for today’s recording/netplay sessions:

Ack, I had something important come up and I have to miss the recording today! Bummer, I was trying to get onto every episode. Apologies for the short notice. Someone else can feel free to take my place. God speed, bombermen!

Ah, too bad! Well, next time. Netplay didn’t work out so you didn’t miss out on that at least haha

Nice podcast idea. Making it a video podcast with footage would be neat also

I still hate this though

what’s the issue

Characterizing gameplay and mechanics as “gun” and visual design and implementation as “vanity” feels, to me, reductionist and mean-sprited. The other three categories are fine and pretty illustrative/evocative, so these two clash pretty hard in my view.

Well that’s just

your opinion

man

And anyway we all know that all of existence is easily reduced to vanity and chasing after the wind

the super nintendo does not have feelings

I don’t give a damn

oh good! glad that we could settle that

if you want my real take:

I tried to pick categories that would reflect the standardized way of reviewing games (how is the gameplay, how does it graphics, is the story good, etc.) and choose bizarro world synonyms that would show how silly they are while still opening up discussion. Gun and vanity are, obviously, simplifications, but they’re supposed to be. My hope is that listening to the podcast will show that we don’t take the categories that literally, and instead use them as an avenue to explore the games in unusual ways while still talking about how it feels and looks.

if you want my shitpost take:

find the gun inside yourself, and you will know true super nintendo

1 Like

I get it, and I’m sure the applcation of these terms doesn’t reflect their apparent intent.
It was just the choice of terms felt like a “lol ironic, aren’t games dumb” moment.

Sorry if I came across as too judgmental. It’s your podcast so obviously do with it as you please.

I mean, fair point. I’m definitely getting defensive haha, sorry.

Actually when I was on the podcast the thing that surprised me was how unironically you limited each category to a real, defined critical space. I was all ready to go bizarro world with em

I think in episode zero we got a bit bizarro, saying “ehh this thing is sort of like a gun if you squint” and that quickly became something rigid when we started associating it with mechanics. It could be worth stretching it out again. Or heck, even trying new categories now and then. Otherwise it’s sort of a regular gametalk show.

1 Like

This episode is officially available, yay!

Also on iTunes in like, 2 days I guess. And Stitcher in the next hour or so, I think that’s when they update.

2 Likes

This is not how iTunes works; if you are subscribed to it in iTunes, you are subscribed to the same RSS feed as anyone else is and will see it on the next refresh. If you are not subscribed and look up the podcast on the directory, that episode list is cached and refreshed every 15-30 minutes depending on the show’s popularity. However, if you subscribe to the show anyway, it will then subscribe you to the real RSS feed, refresh locally, and the latest episode will be there.

Unless your hosting service is screwing you over and giving iTunes a delayed feed, there should not be a delay of any kind.

1 Like

listeners plz note that @VastleCania cut my statement of intent to make things somehow about my dad which I proceeded to NOT FOLLOW UP ON AT ALL

I can’t believe Clint hates free speech…

1 Like