Super Nintendo Exploration Squad 5: Drift King Shutokou Battle 2 casting call

Episode 4 scheduled to drop tomorrow! Let’s start recruiting for Ep 5!

The doodle below is for next weekend, August 5th and 6th. Check the time zone stated - I’m not sure if it automagically switches to your time zone or not! I’m in PST so it might default to that - just double check.

https://doodle.com/poll/h7h2xvghzws4zmni

We’re going to be playing Drift King Shutokou Battle 2 - Tsuchiya Keiichi & Bandou Masaaki, our first Japan only game. There’s no fan translation, but I’m going to guess that the game has something to do with the King from Burger King.

We’re changing Mahjong Minute to Salaryman Corner (Thanks for the name Sakurina!). The SNES has a glut of pachinko, horse racing, and mahjong games that couldn’t support a full hour long podcast. Instead of dedicating entire episodes to those games, we’re going to play them for 5 minutes and then talk about it for 5 minutes in the podcast. This week it’s “Pachinko Maruhi Hisshouhou,” which is apparently the Mavis Beacon of pachinko games. So give it a very brief whirl and we’ll discuss our very brief impressions sometime during the episode

Here’s a package containing an emulator and the ROMs, in case you need it. By default it’s set up to use the keyboard, in whatever weird configuration SNES9x defaults to.

Feel free to use your own setup though! I’m using RetroArch this time because the CRT filters are ace, but it gives a lot of people a hard time so like, whatever makes you happy.

EDITED OUT THANKS TULPA

As a reminder, we discuss the game based on 5 topics, listed below:

Gun - mechanics of play, essentially
Vanity - look, sound, feel, etc.
Mystery - does this game feel like it has any deeper mysteries? interpret as you will
Poetry - anything particularly striking, visually or word-ually or whatever
Harmony - how does it all come together?

If you’re recording, please play the main game for an hour or so, and take a couple of notes on those 5 topics. Last time I typed my notes in a word doc and printed them, like the octagenarian I apparently am.

And for Pachinko, seriously, don’t spend more than 5 minutes on it unless you’re really digging it.

Recording is still happening on Discord. I’ve created a channel just for this purpose, it’s also a neat hangout and I added a bunch of emoji for all the games we’ve played already.

I’m limiting it to 6 total people this time. I’ll prioritize people who haven’t been on the 'cast before, but otherwise it’s first come first serve!

Right that’s it bye

4 Likes

This is Keiichi Tsuchiya, the titular “Drift King.” He’s the one wearing a green suit.

Also here’s a picture of young Masaaki Bandou. He’s a “racing team director” according to Japanese Wikipedia run through Google Translate. There’s no info on him on the English Internet. His romanized name just turns up the video games he was in.

2 Likes

Yo this isn’t related to this exact podcast but

I’ve had a rough week, and I just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone for supporting this and having a good time with me recording it. When shit gets too real for me, it’s nice to have a big goofy get-together to look forward to. It means a lot to me.

I’ll pick a time for this later today, but I wanted to post this now. <3 yall

5 Likes

:lovepigs:

This cast is really good for me, too. It’s been almost my sole source of productivity the last few months, and that helps hold me together when I otherwise feel useless. Lots of love to everyone who takes part.

5 Likes

Oops I forgot to pick a time yesterday!

Let’s do Sunday @ 12-2 PM Pacific. Excellent.

Now, I just need to actually play this game

1 Like

wake up vap nation, it’s out

4 Likes

Thank you Sakurina!!! Sorry everyone for being late and sort of unavailable this weekend, it’s been ridiculous. Next time, the release will be on time, every time.

@Sakurina please make a gaiden podcast to this gaiden podcast where each episode is just you talking about pachinko machines and old japanese tv shows

since vaporwave comes up multiple times in this episode, i’m surprised no-one mentioned how drift racing vhs magazines like option were/are a big influence on the vaporwave aesthetic

i’m sure i had more comments, but that’s all i can think of right now. i have a little routine for listening to this podcast now: going to town, getting fruit from the market, baked goods from the bakery, snacks from the pound shop etc. and going through hyde park on the way back home to get some juice and some cold tea from the polish supermarket. it’s nice

5 Likes

i love this

Oh that is a very cute routine. Good point on the vhs magazines, I think maybe none of us are quite savvy enough to vaporwave to have known that! We are ultimately base memers.

whoa whoa speak for yourself

(I love vaporwave)

i don’t like to choose, so i vape AND wave

1 Like

well then you are entirely responsible for this terrible mistake

I wanted so badly to talk about Real Drifting

2 Likes

I love vaporwave, but I had no idea that VHS car magazines were an influence. That’s really interesting! Are there any examples you can link from YouTube?

well, shit.
i would have loved to join, but only saw this just now.
Extreme Disappointment.

Gotta go star on a SB driftCast then. -`|/’-

btw, Mr Bandoh, iirc, is either the guy running SuperGT, or his Son. Cannot remember dad’s name, so iirc only.

god. so many things i wanted to say and talk about. dunno why that starts to suddenly pile up but it seems i have to vent some thougts.

2 Likes

Sorry you couldn’t make it! Feel free into thoughtdump here if you want. Having it in the thread is the second best place to share about the game.

1 Like