Super Nintendo Exploration Squad #1: Prehistorik Man

We’re on iTunes motherfucker yeahhhhh

Also on my personal player, player.fm:

And finally you can just download the MP3 if you’re some sort of antiquarian

Waiting on Stitcher approval. Let me know if I hit my download limit for some stupid reason - I can’t imagine why that would happen but I’ll throw it on Dropbox.

Anyway, in this episode, we discuss the caveman zeitgeist of the 90’s, game rental corruption, and prehistoric capitalism. Oh, and a crappy SNES platformer called Prehistorik Man.

Starring: @CourierRice @OneSecondBefore @sleepysmiles @Godamn_Milkman @Tulpa

FYI: The next recording isn’t gonna be for a while - my mother-in-law is in town for 8 days starting on the 10th which totally screws both weekends. So…probably in like, 3 weeks?? Sorry.

I welcome any feedback on this, being the first successfully published podcast. I think I went a little overboard on the music; I was a little drunk when I edited this. I also need to work on getting more consistent volume levels for the music as well but hey, that’s life.

Oh, and there’s a problem with echo on my parts, and you can hear me unmuting sometimes in Ventrilo. I’ve figured out this issue now, but it’s a bit annoying, sorry!

11 Likes

I relistened to this and I’m pretty pleased with the editing. I noticed this time that OneSecondBefore had already mentioned the absence of an overworld before I restated it. I spaced out and feel silly.

Also, cute cover art!

It came out great! I enjoyed hearing that stage 4 music when we started talking about it. And in the end, the sound quality of the whole thing was better than I expected!

I realized that I kept on cutting my mic off about .5 seconds too early. Whoops!

I realize just now I said it backwards pre-podcast. You should hold the button for a bit after you’re done talking, not before.

I feel like the discussion in general avoided repeating things, so a little repetition is fine. I didn’t notice it anyway so…it must not have been that big of a thing.

I’m glad that you both liked it! I made about 150 tiny cuts in this to edit out most of the silences, so I’m glad it felt natural and not rushed. (Or did it???) There’s a more automated way of doing it but I didn’t like the fiddliness of the tool. Just easier to do it myself. I used Premiere Pro to edit it even though it’s a video tool since I’m used to it. Next time I think I will try Audition though.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here.

Shout outs to my job that has an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription for some reason and doesn’t know I’m using it for personal projects!

I’ve actually edited audio in both Premiere Pro and Audition, and I can say pretty definitely that Audition is a better tool for a podcast. It may depend on the version you’re using, but I found that premiere’s timeline couldn’t edit audio in as granular of a way as Audition, since it’s locked to a filmic framerate. I was able to make MUCH more precise cuts with Audition.

Also, when I listened to this episode I heard a pretty good pun that I think was unintentional! Someone (Tulpa maybe?) said that the Propaganda category was a “last second” thing. Get it? Cuz it was introduced by One Second Before!

2 Likes

thanks @Tulpa for answering the vital tool questions that popped into my head the moment someone mentioned a “blacksmith” while discussing this caveman game!!!

2 Likes

Oooooo Prehistoric Man. Looking forward to listening to this.

1 Like

this game sounds very european, and i think anyone in europe who considers “damn” a swear word probably died decades ago
but seriously: huge stages, pointless secrets, that rainbow thing, nice pixels: head to toe, that’s a europe!

4 Likes

And all the collectibles are random generic assets, can’t forget that

2 Likes